Parenting
Options

Should I press the issue RE: VBAC?

At my first OB visit, I asked about attempting a Vbac this time around. My doctor discouraged it, saying that, according to the American College of Gynecology(ACOG),  I'd have a 3-5% chance of a uterine rupture since I've had two prior c-sections.  That figure didn't really scare me, though. Should it?

Today, while waiting to be seen, I picked up a pamphlet in the exam room about VBAC . It was put out by the ACOG and said that because of the increased risks of c-sections, many women should consider VBAC, even those who have had two or more c-sections. Hmmm....maybe someone should read the pamphlets they have available to their patients;)

Should I bring it up at my next appointment? If I go into labor on my own, before my scheduled c-section, I'd really like the option of laboring and trying for a VBAC. I don't want to have another c-section if I could have a successful VBAC. I don't want to stay in the hospital longer than neccessary, nor do I want to deal with the recovery again with three little ones at home. 

Also, talk me out of my crazy plan to just labor at home as long as possible so that I can have a VBAC "unintentionally". I know it's crazy!! I still think about it, though.Embarrassed

Evelyn-Mommy to Ben 9.20.05 and Emily 5.14.07 and Callie 7.10.09! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Should I press the issue RE: VBAC?

• Options

I think you should definatley discuss it with your doctor.  I also think it depends on why you've had your c-sections.  I've had 3 c-sections, and I really wish that my dr. would have let me try for a v-bac.  I know what your feeling. 

• Options

I personally would never do a VBAC. I don't care if that % risk IS very low, maybe some think it is, on the other hand it is a very very serious complication and could easily be fatal (especially to me as it happens).

I am not scared of a caesarian, I've had 30+ surgeries that were way way more complicated than that.

It isn't htat I want to go out and schedule a c section, but it doesn't scare me in the least, whereas uterine rupture does. And I've had a vag birth so I know its not fun anyway, definitely not worth the risk to me just to have that again.

Totally JMO. I am likely to need a c section this time and I'm cool with that. I also think most people who are dissatisfied with their c sections had them unexpectedly or after long labours, based purely on anecdotes though. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Let me preface with I don't speak from experience or any medical background...

However, I would definitely press the discussion with your doctor.  At the very least, you deserve that.  However, I can vaguely recall vbac depending on how your c-section was done.  I vaguely remember the direction and placement of the incision having something to do with vbac safety as well.  May be something you want to ask as well...

• Options
    If it is something you want to do, absolutely talk about it with your doctor. ?I know several women who have had successful VBACs and their labors were really positive experiences for them.
  • Options

If it's really important to you, then press the issue!!  ICAN.org is a good resource for facts.  Having 2 prior c's doesn't count you out for a VBAC, but it may involve you changing Doctor's if yours isn't 100% on board.

Everything I had read had me convinced that the medical community would set me up to fail.  But, my hospital was very supportive-every single Doctor and Nurse that cared for me was on board and pushing for my vbac to be succesful.  Some people find they need to go with a midwife to make it happen. 

Or, you could just arrive at the hospital pushing! 

eta: re MMML's comment...there is significant risk to c's (it's major abdominal surgury after all!) as well, so it's not like you are choosing big risk vs. no risk.  It's just which risk you want to take.  My VBAC was 100% worth any slight risk that was involved. 

Nathan 7-13-06 ~ Elizabeth 4-12-09 ~ Zachary 8-5-11
  • Options

Do you know if your OB is VBAC-friendly at all, or if they always discourage it? ?Mine is supportive of me having a VBAC, but they say they're pretty selective. ?We've discussed why they think I'm a good candidate. ?Maybe you could talk to your OB about the reasons you had the c-section in the first place and see if that makes any difference when it comes to chances for a successful VBAC? ?I'd also do some research on my own on the actual risks of VBAC after two c-sections, and if it's still something you're comfortable with discuss it with your OB.

I talked with a woman the other day who ended up having her VBAC at home with a midwife because she didn't feel her OB would support her decision. ?Not for me, but I guess if you're really determined...

Good luck either way!?

• Options
    Free Slurpees for LIFE! You know what that would mean to me! I'd become the Queen of the SSLNNs for that little score:)
    Evelyn-Mommy to Ben 9.20.05 and Emily 5.14.07 and Callie 7.10.09! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I would talk to them again and bring the pamphlet that came from their office.  I have heard that VBAC after 2 C's is riskier than after 1, but it's certainly worth exploring the option.  I would not labor at home, though, since that seems risky.  I'm trying for VBAC and was told I'm not to labor at home at all because they do want to moniter more closely than the average vaginal  birth.  GL!
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I think it's certainly worth discussing.  I've not done much research on how much the VBAC risks change if you've had one c-section versus two, but even if they are a little higher, you also have to consider that c-section risks also increase with each subsequent surgery.  Here are a few key points I took away from the reading I did prior to my VBAC - maybe you can use these to get conversation moving with your doctor:

- the statistics for uterine rupture are often based on studies that were conducted before physicians were aware of the increased risk when prostaglandins are used for induction, so the actual risk if prostaglandins are avoided is quite a bit lower

- with the monitoring that goes along with a hospital VBAC, only a small percentage of patients who have a uterine rupture will have devastating consequences for mom or baby.  (True, I can't say there is no risk...but the risk of something going very wrong is a small percentage of a small percentage. But there are risks with every labor and delivery.  There is just no getting around that, especially with two prior c-sections.)

Good luck whatever you decide!

• Options
    imageKapalua:

It's just which risk you want to take.  

This is certainly true. Though the c section risks are not as great as you'd think reading t he pro VBAC stuff. I have looked into it because its higher risk for me, and for most women the risk of c sections is VERY VERY low. Different too. 

I was merely commenting based on my personal preference and the fact I've had a lot bigger surgeries than a c section and they were fine.

But it is a different kind of risk also. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"