Eco-Friendly Family

NER: Anxiety attack

I know this has nothing to do with anything, but I have to post or drive myself nuts.

I had an anxiety attack out of the blue on the drive home today (it's about an hour drive in heavy traffic).  My heart was racing so fast and I was not able to calm myself down.  I called DH and my mom who both tried to help via phone, but...there were several times that I wanted to pull over and do I don't know what.  I finally took one of my prescriptions and still during the next 30 minutes of the drive it didn't work.  I somehow got both the boys picked up (2 different places) and got home.  As I pull in the driveway my neighbor's DH asks if I can babysit tomorrow night - I said yes b/c I might be needing your help tonight if I can't get my panic attack under control.  Somewhere in all this I took another pill which didn't seem to work either.  Finally I get in the house and my neighbor calls and tells me she's coming over to help.  She helps me get the kids fed and her kid plays with mine.  I changed into sweats and read a couple of passages out of my all time lifesaver book "The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook".  At this point, I'm feeling better but a little dizzy/drugged from the meds.  She stuck around so I could get C to bed.

Now J and I are laying in my bed, he is watching cartoons and I'm on here.  I feel a lot better, but this was the worst anxiety attack I ever remember having (I've never had to take two pills - I usually very sensitive to meds) and it was made worse that DH is out of town tonight.  Luckily, I have several neighbors that love my kids and are very sweet to help me when I need it.  I don't usuallly like to share that I have panic disorder, so I hope they don't look at me funny now.

If you made it this far, thanks.  I just needed to vent.

Mama to two boys and a girl: J (6 yrs), C (4 yrs) and A (4 mo)
Posts on cloth trainers/PLing

Re: NER: Anxiety attack

• i have had those before. they are no fun and i don't think people who don't have them understand exactly how they feel. i take lexapro regularly and it keeps anxiety attacks at bay.

i really want to bf my next child, so i don't know what i'll do. i don't feel comfortable taking prescription drugs while bf-ing...

anyway, i hope you feel better soon! when does your dh get back in town?

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Oh, I am so sorry.  I used to have terrible anxiety attacks like that.  I think that is the worst feeling in the world.  You neighbors shouldn't look at you funny ... it's a medical condition.  It's not like you just up and decided to have panic attacks for fun.

I hope you're feeling better now.  Many hugs to you.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies.  I do feel better now.  Just wiped out from the meds and the whole ordeal.

I really want another LO, but not sure how anxiety attacks would be with pregnancy...

• I wouldn't worry about the neighbor. Obviously this is someone that cares enough about you to come over and help when you needed it so I don't think that she will look at you funny about it. If someone that I knew was having an anxiety attack, even though I wouldn't really understand it, I wouldn't judge them for it. Heck, if my elderly neighbor, who I'm not that close with was having one I wouldn't judge her and it sounds like you have an closer relationship with this person.

Sorry you had to go through that tonight. (((hugs)))

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had one this summer and my husband actually took me to the hospital because it looked EXACTLY like a heart attack.  I was barely in the doors before they had me on the EKG machines and everything. I was really stressed out about our issues with infertility and work.  It was awful.  They gave me a bunch of medicine and sent me home to rest for a few days.  I saw my regular doctor who suggested counseling might help or at least come up with stress coping mechanisms.  I still see a counselor and actually got pregnant a few months into my therapy when we were one a TTC break. 

Anyway, I just wanted to say I know how you feel and I'm sorry.  ::hugs:: Let me know if I can help.

mr & mrs || 11.18.06
    DD born 07.06.09 || DS born 01.24.11 || Bean 3.0 due 11.16.12
  • Thanks ladies.  You are all very sweet, which is why I felt comfortable to post here.  Poor DH tries to understand, but unless you've had one it's difficult to relate.  He comes home tomorrow night - I'm counting the hours.

=)

• I'm sorry you had to go through that tonight!  I went through about a 1 year period where I had panic attacks on a regular basis (luckily mostly at night), and I until I found out what was going on I thought I was going crazy.  I agree w/pp.  If you've never had them you've got no idea what it's like.  It sounds like you've got a really good friend who was willing to chip in when you needed it.  That great!!  I'll keep you in my prayers.
    After 3 1/2 years of hope and prayers, our sweet baby girl is here! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm sorry.  I hope that you're doing better by now, and that you make it through tomorrow safely and without more panic attacks.  Many hugs to you...
    Mother's Day, 2011
  • aww.. *hugs* I hope you're feeling better. I used to have them frequently. Now I'm down to one or two a year. I know how terrible and scary they can be.
  • def *hugs* to you - i know how much those suck and how they feel like heartattacks!  i deal with anxiety/panic issues myself and take meds - they help for sure and i've dealt with the same issues worrying about ttc and pg with meds..  i've gone back and forth worrying about whether i should try to get off my meds and try to get through the pg without them, but there are all sorts of studies that suggest higher levels of stress pg women who get off their meds negates any benefit to the fetus getting off them may give so it's kinda a no win. 

one dr had said to me in reference to all of my medical conditions that because of all the changes your body goes through during pg it's hard to tell what will get better/worse/stay the same once you get pg - so i don't think you should necessarily assume they'd be worse once pg.. as far as bfing while on meds...i dunno - i know that one of my friends who deals with similar issues stayed on her wellbutrin and zoloft for her entire pregnancy - actually increasing towards the end as she was calling her psychiatrist almost every day - and continues them while bfing without any negative effects.  is it ideal?  no of course not - but it defintely allows her to mother her child to the best of her ability.  i actually kind of think that if you're on meds during pg that bfing while on them probably helps to negate any 'withdrawl' issues that the baby may have??

anyway i'm ranting (i do that, sorry) and basically just wanted to offer support.  i'm glad you have neighbors to turn to when your DH is away.  and if you're having these attacks frequently it might be worth looking into an everyday med to help curb them rather than a 'when necessary' med.  hope things are better for you today!

my cool cat - er, bunny!

Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    my bfp chart!
    our hippy baby blog

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"