Trying to Get Pregnant

Aflac...

I have read some posts about having an aflac policy while you are pregnant and it helping to pay for some expensives. I am a teacher and we are not offered aflac, but DH is at his work. His open-enrollment time is May so I was wondering what policy that falls under and whether you feel it is worth it...I know most on here probably haven't used it much...just curious.

TIA!

Brad & Laci Est: 2007 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Aflac...

• With Aflac you must be enrolled for one year before you can claim benefits
  • Does DH already having it for 5 years count or would it mean me? I am really stupid when it comes to all this insurance stuff.

Brad & Laci Est: 2007 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Your husband is not the one taking the maternity benefits.  So it would apply to you.
  • I figured but it never hurts to ask. Do you have to get a special policy or does it fall under an umbrella policy?

• I have aflac and was able to get short term disability for you to get paid while your out on maturnity leave (pregnancy is a disability apparently) and then they have a  hospital plan that pays for any days that you are in the hospital doesn't matter what it is. Hope this helps!
    RIP my sweet girl born 11/26/12 sleeping at 15 weeks. Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • imagehef0113:
    I have aflac and was able to get short term disability for you to get paid while your out on maturnity leave (pregnancy is a disability apparently) and then they have a  hospital plan that pays for any days that you are in the hospital doesn't matter what it is. Hope this helps!

Thanks...that helps out a lot. I will def. check into both of those with DH's employer.

• imagecutelilme1210:

imagehef0113:
    I have aflac and was able to get short term disability for you to get paid while your out on maturnity leave (pregnancy is a disability apparently) and then they have a  hospital plan that pays for any days that you are in the hospital doesn't matter what it is. Hope this helps!

Thanks...that helps out a lot. I will def. check into both of those with DH's employer.

I just picked both of these up as well. 

I was interested by the previous answer regarding having the policy in effect for 1 year before collecting benefits, so I pulled out my policies to check them out.  I didn't find this in either the short term disability, or the hospital indemnity plan, so maybe it depends on which on which state you are in.  There can sometimes be different provisions to insurance products based on which state the policy was issued in. 

Also, the hospital indemnity plan is where it's at.  They pay an initial benefit for being admitted (for example mine is $1200), then a per day benefit (mine is $400).  Using the example of a standard birth, I would collect $1600.  Also, you have 30 days to add the baby to the plan, and if the baby is has to stay extra days in the hospital you can collect daily benefits (sorry, no initial benefit) for the baby as well.  It's definately worth looking into, if nothing else but for help paying your medical insurance deductable and any other little things that crop up.

bfp 5/17/09 - missed m/c 6/17/09 @ 9w - stopped growing 6w 1d, D&C 6/19/09
    BFP #2 10/13/2009 on our 2nd Wedding Anniversary
    Discovered TWINS during the 6w u/s - what a shocker!
    Delivered on 5/19/2010 at 34 weeks due to pre-e and HELLP syndrome
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    The Bump MoM Recipe Collection
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"