Parenting
Options

Cord Blood thoughts?

Due in 4 weeks with our second and considering cord blooding...  We didn't with our first and I think I regret not doing so.  Anyone out there for or against it?  Anyone with medical background to speak on the value or usefulness of it?  Our doctor did not do his kids and said that it's only been used 300 times in the past 15 years!  Not sure if that's because it's not so useful or because it's rather 'up and coming'...  He also said that the amount preserved is really only useful up to the teen years as there isn't enough to make a difference in an adult.  Not sure what to think...  Any thoughts would be appreciated!!!  Thanks!

Re: Cord Blood thoughts?

• Options
    My OB did not highly rec with my dd nearly 3 years ago but now is HIGHLY recommending it. He said if you have the money to do it because they have made significant gains in it in the past few years.
  • Options

For your average reasonably likely to be healthy kid, its not that useful. Maybe it will be in 20 years, but maybe not. And its an expensive bet.

We did public cord blood banking for DS. Its in a bank that only does clinical work no research so its not going to be used unless there is a donee who matches and needs it. The chance is high it would always be there if DS needed it, but it doesn't cost us a cent to keep it there. And really, if we're NOT going to use it I would rather someone else did. And many donees can use it before its used up too.

The cost to us was $300 for collection (our OB charged that the scoundrel) but that's it. And only because we didn't have DS at a hospital affiliated with the public cord blood bank (there were none in NY at the time, only NJ and I wasn't going to NJ to give birth.

We are thinking of doing something similar for the twins, especially as they're identical twins. We're in a differrent country now though and the system is different. Here public banking is the norm. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"