Baby Names

Thoughts on Asher?

I don't know anyone with this name, but I saw it in a baby book and it jumped out at me.  Do you think it is too different?  I like that it means happiness. 

Re: Thoughts on Asher?

• PS.. it is a boys name.
  • I really like it as a boys name
  • Loading the player...
  • It's Jewish. And AWESOME.

I have a cousin named Asher and he's *wicked* smart. I have good associations. His middle name is Deva - also Jewish.

Also, there's My Name Is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok, which is a *very* good story.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • LMS05LMS05 member
    NMS. It doesn't sound like a name to me. It sounds like someone who pours ashes.?
  • It is from the Bible.  My good friend has a little boy named Asher.  I really like it!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Love it. It also means blessing and is one of the twelve tribes of Israel.
  • I love it. Yes
    natural m/c 6-1-09 @9 weeks, Lucy born 5-11-10, m/c (D&C)1-24-12 @10 weeks Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • An acquantence of mine named her son this a few years ago, and I literally cringed when I heard it, sorry. Needless to say it has not grown on me.
  • I love it! It is traditional but not over used, love the way it sounds.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I can't decide whether I like it or not.  But I do know that I like it better than Ashton.
  • I LOVE the name Asher! My nephew is named Asher which means I can't name my own son Asher... but I would have if I could have...?
  • I love it!!!  We actually considered it, until we said it kind of fast with our last name and it didn't sound very nice.  Our last name is Hall.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I LOVE that name Asher! It's a biblical name (one of Jacob's 12 sons) but it isn't super common like some others (Daniel, Jacob, Adam, etc.)

In case you are curious, there are some other interesting names from Jacob's 12 sons (which became the 12 tribes of Israel): Reuben, Simeon/Simon, Levi, Dan, Naphtali/Naftali, Gad, Asher, Issachar, Zebulun, Joseph, Benjamin.

It's funny how some of these are such common names (Joseph, Benjamin) when others are so out there (I can't imagine naming a kid Zebulun!)

• LMS is so helpful w/ "It doesn't sound like a name".

uhh-- It's one of the earliest names in the Bible. It's definitely a name.

I LOVE IT!

Bro, but look how many ants are on this trash can...
    Zach Rance 4 President

• LMS05LMS05 member
    imageRogue Lily:

LMS is so helpful w/ "It doesn't sound like a name".

I LOVE IT!

?

What is your problem?? ?She asked for thoughts and I told her what I thought. I've never met anyone named Asher so it doesn't sound like a name to me.?

• i LOVE this name and it will likely be the name of my future son (assuming i ever have a son, LOL)!

i like it b/c it's biblical, has a great meaning and is different/uncommon without being weird or sounding made up.

• It is my favorite name.
  • imageRogue Lily:

LMS is so helpful w/ "It doesn't sound like a name".

I LOVE IT!

?

I come on this board because people are nice and don't make fun of another person for their responses. We offer advice, not criticism. If you are going to be rude, just leave.

I like the name Asher. It's nice! ??

• I like it...I had it on my list a little while ago.

"Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

TTC #1- unexplained...lost left ovary 4/07 IUI #1 2/10/09-BFN IUI #2 3/5/09-BFN IVF # 1-BFP

TTC#2- FET 4/7/11 BFP, Natural mc 5/5/11 IVF#2 ER 9/13/11, ET 9/16/11, Beta #1 9/27/11 BFP 254 Beta #2 9/30/11 793 -Twins!

• I like it. Asher was one of the 12 sons of Jacob in the Old Testament. It has a great meaning as well.
  • I really like it. 
    DD1 - 12.25.05
    (m/c 1.17.07, m/c 5.15.07)
    DS - 03.15.08
    DD2 - 12.03.09
    DD3 - 3.28.11
  • It makes me think of the guy who sings the I love college song
  • I like Asher. He was the best friend of Jonas (or was it Jonah? I'm having a memory lapse) in the book The Giver.
    Blank!
  • The first thing I thought of was an ascher cut diamond. I like the name...it sounds very English artistocrat to me which might or might not be something you like!
  • LOVE it and think that not only does it sound cool (for lack of better words), it also is not an overly common name at all. (for now, ha!)
  • I've never been a fan of this one mainly b/c I don't care for boy names that start with Ash (Ashton, Ashley, etc..). If you are going for the uncommon biblical approach then I guess it is just "okay". Personally, I think there are better biblical names you could choose.   I also think that depending upon what your last name is, that could make a difference.  I know a kid who is named Asher Sachs and to me it sounds like A$$ Sacks - just sayin'
  • imageAllThatGlitters101:
    I like Asher. He was the best friend of Jonas (or was it Jonah? I'm having a memory lapse) in the book The Giver.

Yes, Jonas's best friend. He was such a sweet guy in the book. I love the name Asher although it took time to grow on me. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I like it a lot.?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I love it.  I also like Japheth which is another uncommon Biblical name.
    BFP #1 Sept. 2011 EDD 5.25.12 missed MC on 11.17.11 | BFP #2 4.30.12 11dpo EDD 1.10.13 | Grow, baby, grow!
    01.03.09 {MARRIED BIO}
    imageimageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • imageEmmieB:

Also, there's My Name Is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok, which is a *very* good story.

That's exactly what I thought of when I saw Asher. It's one of my favorite books. I like Asher.

• I like it because its biblical.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"