Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

f/u another question

There was some sort of history of a drinking problem with the boy, allegedly. He had been "put to bed" by his frat brothers and was found taking large pulls off of a handle of whiskey (he'd already had margaritas and 10-12 beers that night).

He was kicked out of the dorms for having alcohol, but they wouldn't release the info to his parents for his protection of privacy. Now they are reviewing that clause and deciding whether to make that sort of info available to parents.

What do you think? If your "adult" (over 18) child is kicked out of their university residence for some reason, should the student have a right to privacy?

Re: f/u another question

• Options
    Maybe it should depend on who's paying tuition
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageali-1411:
    Maybe it should depend on who's paying tuition

This is a good point, however, he is older than 18. I don't know.

I don't think a deceased person's privacy is really theirs at this point. Especially considering the circumstances.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I think what happened to this boy is undeniably tragic. And I wish someone had been more pro-active about telling his parents, friends, frat bros, or anyone else that had influence over him. 

That being said, I got to go with the vaguely irritating "it depends" answer here.  Who is being told?  What prompted the kicking out?  Would it go down on his university record or transcripts?

My college had a fabulous policy about seeking medical treatment related to drinking.  If you or your friend is drunk to the point where you're concerned about their health in anyway you could call Health Services and the drunk person would get treatment with complete privacy protection.  There was no way to "get in trouble" from parents, profs, employers, future employers, etc. for seeking medical treatment related to alcohol poisoning or other acute drinking related issues.  Any kind of anonymity / privacy protection that encourages treatment is great.

If the boy was hoarding alcohol in his dorm room and selling it and bunch of fake IDs to people then I have no problem with the university telling the parents that "illegal activity" or something was the reason their kid can't stay in the dorm.

• Options
    *Bre**Bre* member

This boy had a fake. He was kicked out for having alcohol in his dorm, twice (this is all hearsay reported in the paper).

I think maybe some are confused. When he was alive, his parents tried to find out from housing why their son was kicked out, and they wouldn't tell them. He told his parents that it was because they found a shot glass and "someone else's" beer can.

In hindsight, the university is questioning whether releasing this information at the time could have prevented his death because his parents could have intervened and gotten him help for his alcoholism.

• Options
    image*Bre*:

This boy had a fake. He was kicked out for having alcohol in his dorm, twice (this is all hearsay reported in the paper).

I think maybe some are confused. When he was alive, his parents tried to find out from housing why their son was kicked out, and they wouldn't tell them. He told his parents that it was because they found a shot glass and "someone else's" beer can.

In hindsight, the university is questioning whether releasing this information at the time could have prevented his death because his parents could have intervened and gotten him help for his alcoholism.

This is where I start having a hard time with the parents.  I mean, really?  You bought "they found some else's beer can and a shot glass" so a university with a gigantic Greek system kicked me out of the dorm forever and ever and ever because they were horrified by the presence of a beer can.  Really?  That seems plausible to you.  No radar raised at all?

And even if the university didn't tell you why he was kicked out but you knew a "beer can and a shot glass" were involved then you decide to let him move into a frat house?  Really?

I'm not blaming them so much as I'm wondering if telling them would have been helpful.

• Options

Okay, whoa. And the Dad is having beers at the bar with this boy?? Did he REALLY not know this kids intentions? This is his son. He knew this boy had a problem. It sounds almost as if he enabled this behavior.

Argh. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"