Baby Names

Fiona.

Opinions, please. Possibly Fiona James.

Edit: For a girl. I'd like to use James as a mn b/c it's my Dad's name, he never had a son to pass down the name to, and I'd like to give it to my daughter b/c he is a father of girls Smile

Bro, but look how many ants are on this trash can...
Zach Rance 4 President

Re: Fiona.

• Um...I assume it's for a girl, but then you threw James in there and I'm not sure.  For a girl it's fine (and I don't mind James for a girl either).  For a boy, no.  I will say that it made me think of Shrek, though.

My neice is named Fianna and I think that's also a nice variation.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Amber
    TTC since March '06
    MFI, LPD, possible PCOS
    3 chem pgs * m/c identical twins at 9w 10.06
    IVF w/ICSI #2 - beta - 187! (9dp5dt), beta - 367! (11dp5dt)
    IVF w/ICSI #3 - it's a girl!
    My IF Blog: Between the Lines
    My Parenting Blog: Letters From Your Mama
  • I like Fiona. I like James. But not for one person. I think James is to manly for a girl, and Fiona is to girly for a boy.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • love.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I LOVE Fiona. But DH vetoed it. He said it's too Shrek for him - reminds him of a big ogre girl. :(
  • Apple and Shrek are two things that come to mind. Both names nms.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• LOVE Fiona! James is cute as well, it's there for a reason not because you decided to burden her with a male name for the fun of it. I love unisex names and I think 'male' names work fine for girls in most cases!
  • I love it!! My SIL wanted to name their baby Fiona but my BIL said it reminded him of Shrek. So they are going to Finola if it is a girl.
  • Why James???? It is masculine.
  • I actually think it sounds really cute with James (And I love the reason why) I do think of Shrek and Apple. But they won't be around forever!
  • imageiluvtom:
    Why James???? It is masculine.

umm, read the post.

Zach Rance 4 President

• imageRogue Lily:

imageiluvtom:
    Why James???? It is masculine.

umm, read the post.

haha

• LMS05LMS05 member
    There aren't any women in your family or (your dh's) that you would like to honor? Why not save James if you have a son?
  • imageLMS05:
    There aren't any women in your family or (your dh's) that you would like to honor? Why not save James if you have a son?

sigh. again. I explained why I'd prefer it for a girl in the post.

Besides, James is not only used as a boy's name. It has been used as a girl's name (ie James King.. even though she know goes by Jaime)

Zach Rance 4 President

• I think it is adorable...and I have NO problem with using a male name as the middle name. In fact, if we would be having a girl, I planned on using my grandpa's name (Estil) as the middle name.

My niece's name is Freyja, and her best friend is named Fiona. Super cute! 

• LMS05LMS05 member
    imageRogue Lily:

imageLMS05:

Besides, James is not only used as a boy's name. It has been used as a girl's name (ie James King.. even though she know goes by Jaime)

sigh. Who cares if it USED to be used on girls?? It's not anymore. Ashley used to be a boy name, but you don't see little boys named Ashley running around.?It's a pet peeve of mine because pretty soon there won't be any boys names left because people keep using them on girls.?Especially a classic, Biblical boy name like James. I still don't see why you can't honor a female family member.?

It's your child and your decision. I'm not even sure why you asked when you knew you would get negative responses.?

• I like the name Fiona James, it flows nicely.
  • imageLMS05:
    imageRogue Lily:

imageLMS05:

sigh. Who cares if it USED to be a girls name?? It's not anymore. Ashley used to be a boy name, but you don't see little boy named Ashley running around. Especially a classic, Biblical boy name like James. I still don't see why you can't honor a female family member. 

It's a pet peeve of mine because pretty soon there won't be any boys names left because people keep using them on girls.  

Actually I think it was either Real World, Road Rules or Telia Tequila on MTV there was a guy named ASHLEY on that, he was a cute southern gentlemen!

• imageLMS05:
    imageRogue Lily:

imageLMS05:

sigh. Who cares if it USED to be a girls name?? It's not anymore. Ashley used to be a boy name, but you don't see little boys named Ashley running around. 

It's a pet peeve of mine because pretty soon there won't be any boys names left because people keep using them on girls.  

Um, I am considering using it as a middle name, that no one except family and close friends will ever hear after the initial birth announcement. I don't think using my Dad's name as a MN can really be blamed for the erosion of the credibility of male names.

I think "there won't be any boy names left" is pretty far-fetched and ridonc. I don't know any female Michaels or Coles.

Zach Rance 4 President

• I like it.  And we considered James as a middle name for our daughter.
  • imageLMS05:

And besides that, shes using it for a middle name. How often are middle names said? I dont feel like its a big deal for a middle name. It's not like she said James Fiona.

• imageMelinz:
    imageLMS05:
    imageRogue Lily:

imageLMS05:

sigh. Who cares if it USED to be a girls name?? It's not anymore. Ashley used to be a boy name, but you don't see little boy named Ashley running around. Especially a classic, Biblical boy name like James. I still don't see why you can't honor a female family member. 

Actually I think it was either Real World, Road Rules or Telia Tequila on MTV there was a guy named ASHLEY on that, he was a cute southern gentlemen!

Good call, and the guy from the original Making the Band (Liquid Dreams group.. name escapes me) who later had his own reality show about trying to become a solo artist.. his name was Ashley too.

BTW, I know a ton of dudes named Lynn.

Zach Rance 4 President

• LMS05LMS05 member
    imageMelinz:
    imageLMS05:

It's a pet peeve of mine because pretty soon there won't be any boys names left because people keep using them on girls. ?

And besides that, shes using it for a middle name. How often are middle names said? I dont feel like its a big deal for a middle name. It's not like she said James Fiona.

I understand. She asked for opinions and I gave mine.?
  • LMS05LMS05 member
    imageRogue Lily:
    imageMelinz:
    imageLMS05:
    imageRogue Lily:

imageLMS05:

sigh. Who cares if it USED to be a girls name?? It's not anymore. Ashley used to be a boy name, but you don't see little boy named Ashley running around. Especially a classic, Biblical boy name like James. I still don't see why you can't honor a female family member.?

It's a pet peeve of mine because pretty soon there won't be any boys names left because people keep using them on girls. ?

Good call, and the guy from the original Making the Band (Liquid Dreams group.. name escapes me) who later had his own reality show about trying to become a solo artist.. his name was Ashley too.

You are missing my point! Ashley is not a boy name regardless of 2 males being named Ashley. Just like Elliot is not a girl name even though girls are being named Elliot.?

• LMS05LMS05 member
    imageRogue Lily:

Edit: For a girl. I'd like to use James as a mn?b/c it's my Dad's name, he never had a son to pass down the name to, and I'd like to give it to my daughter b/c he is a?father of girls Smile

Why did you come on here and asked for opinions when you really only want people to agree with you? ?

• imageLMS05:
    imageRogue Lily:

Edit: For a girl. I'd like to use James as a mn b/c it's my Dad's name, he never had a son to pass down the name to, and I'd like to give it to my daughter b/c he is a father of girls Smile

Why did you come on here and asked for opinions when you really only want people to agree with you?  

Umm, I am not disagreeing with the people who said "NMS" or that they didn't like it or it makes them think of Shrek.. I am disagreeing with your argument that giving my kid a male middle name means that there will be no further male name for boys.Your theory lacks logic. I seriously have no idea wtf you are talking about in your "ashley is NOT a boy's name" thing. I am not saying James is a girls name. I am using as a mn in a girl's name.

Zach Rance 4 President

• imageLMS05:
    imageRogue Lily:

Why did you come on here and asked for opinions when you really only want people to agree with you?  

I don't think it's that she wants people to agree with her. It's just you are stating your opinon, and she is stating hers back to you. I would do the same. 

She's not arguing with the other ones that said NMS, or anything like that. It's just you asked her if there was any other name to use, she said clearly in her OP that she wanted to use JAMES and why. So you are getting your answer and now more

• And btw, LMS, I re-read your post. Where did I say it used to be a girls name?? I never said that anywhere.

Zach Rance 4 President

• LMS05LMS05 member
    imageRogue Lily:
    imageLMS05:
    imageRogue Lily:

Edit: For a girl. I'd like to use James as a mn?b/c it's my Dad's name, he never had a son to pass down the name to, and I'd like to give it to my daughter b/c he is a?father of girls Smile

Why did you come on here and asked for opinions when you really only want people to agree with you? ?

Umm, I am not disagreeing with the people who said "NMS" or that they didn't like it or it makes them think of Shrek.. I am disagreeing?with?your argument?that giving my kid a male middle name means that there will be no further male name for boys.Your theory lacks logic.?

It's a process that has been discussed a lot on this board. People are using Ryan, Elliot, Evan, Dylan etc.. for girls and now James in your situation. I'm not saying YOU alone are doing this, but you are part of this process where eventually there won't be any boy names (I'm not saying literally every boy name will be gone).?

• LMS05LMS05 member

imageRogue Lily:
    And btw, LMS, I re-read your post. Where did I say it used to be a girls name?? I never said that anywhere.

James King was your example of when it used to be used as a girls' name. I also edited what I wrote. Look back. This is really dumb since you are using James and truly I don't care. It's your child and your decision. I'm not going to argue about something that is so unimportant.?

• I love it.  I think you have a great reason to use James as a mn, theres no point in "holding out" for a boy when your daughter can have a unique, meaningful name.
  • imageLMS05:
    imageRogue Lily:
    imageLMS05:
    imageRogue Lily:

Umm, I am not disagreeing with the people who said "NMS" or that they didn't like it or it makes them think of Shrek.. I am disagreeing with your argument that giving my kid a male middle name means that there will be no further male name for boys.Your theory lacks logic. 

It's a process that has been discussed a lot on this board. People are using Ryan, Elliot, Evan, Dylan etc.. for girls and now James in your situation. I'm not saying YOU alone are doing this, but you are part of this process where eventually there won't be any boy names (I'm not saying literally every boy name will be gone). 

I am not "part of this". It is not going to be her first name! It's a middle name. a MIDDLE name. The first name is all-girl, very femme. I  

Zach Rance 4 President

• imageLMS05:
    imageRogue Lily:
    imageLMS05:
    imageRogue Lily:

Umm, I am not disagreeing with the people who said "NMS" or that they didn't like it or it makes them think of Shrek.. I am disagreeing with your argument that giving my kid a male middle name means that there will be no further male name for boys.Your theory lacks logic. 

It's a process that has been discussed a lot on this board. People are using Ryan, Elliot, Evan, Dylan etc.. for girls and now James in your situation. I'm not saying YOU alone are doing this, but you are part of this process where eventually there won't be any boy names (I'm not saying literally every boy name will be gone). 

I am not "part of this". It is not going to be her first name! It's a middle name. a MIDDLE name. The first name is all-girl, very femme.

Zach Rance 4 President

• imageLMS05:
    imageRogue Lily:
    imageMelinz:
    imageLMS05:
    imageRogue Lily:

imageLMS05:

You are missing my point! Ashley is not a boy name regardless of 2 males being named Ashley. Just like Elliot is not a girl name even though girls are being named Elliot. 

Ashley was originally a male name (ex. Ashley Wilkes from Gone With the Wind).  And James King's real name is Jamie.  Her modeling agency changed it to James so she would stand out. 

Just to set the record straight. 

• LMS05LMS05 member
    imageRogue Lily:
    imageLMS05:
    imageRogue Lily:
    imageLMS05:
    imageRogue Lily:

Umm, I am not disagreeing with the people who said "NMS" or that they didn't like it or it makes them think of Shrek.. I am disagreeing?with?your argument?that giving my kid a male middle name means that there will be no further male name for boys.Your theory lacks logic.?

It's a process that has been discussed a lot on this board. People are using Ryan, Elliot, Evan, Dylan etc.. for girls and now James in your situation. I'm not saying YOU alone are doing this, but you are part of this process where eventually there won't be any boy names (I'm not saying literally every boy name will be gone).?

I am not "part of this". It is not going to be?her first name! It's a middle name. a MIDDLE name.?The first name is all-girl, very femme.

Once again, why do you ask for opinions if you are set and really don't care what others think??

• LMS05LMS05 member
    imageTess12:
    imageLMS05:
    imageRogue Lily:
    imageMelinz:
    imageLMS05:
    imageRogue Lily:

imageLMS05:

sigh. Who cares if it USED to be a girls name?? It's not anymore. Ashley used to be a boy name, but you don't see little boy named Ashley running around. Especially a classic, Biblical boy name like James. I still don't see why you can't honor a female family member.?

You are missing my point! Ashley is not a boy name regardless of 2 males being named Ashley. Just like Elliot is not a girl name even though girls are being named Elliot.?

Ashley was originally a male name (ex. Ashley Wilkes from Gone With the Wind).? And James King's real name is Jamie.? Her modeling agency changed it to James so she would stand out.?

Just to set the record straight.?

Right, I know. I already said that Ashley originally was a boy name, but it's not used as a boy name anymore because people keep taking boy names and making them girl names.

• Love the name.  Cute and MN is very meaningful.

Side note:  Ashley, Lyndsay, Courtney, Stacey, Jamie, etc. are all STILL in use as boy and girl names.  They didn't magically change their unisex status over the years.  If anything, they became unisex and didn't switch back.   I'm not looking to get into a debate because there is nothing to debate (look it up) - just wanted to throw out fact.

• imageLMS05:
    imageRogue Lily:
    imageLMS05:
    imageRogue Lily:
    imageLMS05:
    imageRogue Lily:

I am not "part of this". It is not going to be her first name! It's a middle name. a MIDDLE name. The first name is all-girl, very femme.

Once again, why do you ask for opinions if you are set and really don't care what others think? 

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I already responded to the "why do you ask for others opinions.." EARLIER in the quote block.

The title of this post was "Fiona?". I wanted opinions on THAT name and how it paired with the middle name we have likely selected.

But thanks for your opinion. I will take into consideration that my using my dad's name as a girl's mn may lead to the downfall of traditionally male names in American society.

Zach Rance 4 President

• AHHHHHHHHH!!! Attack of the quote button!!!

I can't follow the conversation anymore.

• I don't like the name Fiona. I am not sure if you wanted opinions about James or not (I know you sure got them!), but I like the story behind it. Rarely do I say my children's middle names anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"