Baby Names

Do You Know Adults Who Didn't "Grow With Their Name"?

I always hear people talk about how a name won't grow with the person, so I'm wondering what adults you know who's names still seem a bit childish.

I can only think of two that makes me think of a child and doesn't seem right for an adult and both are VERY popular 80s names: Brittany and Tiffany.  But all of the Brittany and Tiffanys I know don't seem to think they've "outgrown" their name.  So how important is this really?

Oh, and my aunt is Sunshine, the result of the hippy years.  I've never thought that was childish at all and really suits her.

Re: Do You Know Adults Who Didn't "Grow With Their Name"?

• Never. I never understood the whole grow into it thing. It is what it is and the kid will grow up and make the most of it.

Same with "old man" names. Weren't all old men little boys once too? Granted I don't like many "old man" names but being old isn't the reason.

I know a very mature Tiffany. And a very immature one. So again the name is what you make of it.

I even know a girl named Misti and I thought that was a child name but she's grown into it very well.

• in my family we have an Ash, a Kala (named after the Hawaiian goddess), an Apple, a Hyacinth, and a Kaba (he's married to Ash. It's a miracle they found each other)

All of these adults are suited to their names.

In fact, most of the adults that I know who had nicknames when they were younger use either a mature version of their nickname (Billy is now Bill, that sort of thing) or use their full names. 

I actually think that your name helps form who you are because it's an identifier. So you either go with it, or you pick another name (a middle name or a nickname) and go with that.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Well for one thing, I think the names people don't think 'grow' well are more recently used names-so some of those people aren't necessarily older adults yet, if that makes sense.?

A few names I have seen in real life that I feel this way about are Miley, Princess, Trulee, Trinity, ?Jayden, and Caden. They aren't all adults yet, and maybe they love their names. I think they sound silly, but that's just me.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Also to be clear- I don't dislike any name just because I think it sounds 'young'-these names are all bad anyway, IMO. I think that when people pick them though, they sometimes think they are 'cute' and don't necessarily consider their child being an adult with the name. Hope that clarifies things as bit :-P
  • Oh!  I have a friend named Misty, too.  Funny, I didn't even think of her and was wracking my brain trying to come up with names.  She's a very successful business woman, too, and I don't think being named Misty has ever hindered her in any way.

As for Trulee, my Grandma's best friend is named Trulee and I think she's in her 80s.  I've never thought of that name as being childish either, but that could be beacuse I've only known one and she's always been like a Grandma to me.  In fact, I have a hard time picturing a young child being a Trulee.  I also know an adult Caden (he's probably 22-23ish) and, again, don't think it's "cute" or childish.  But I can see Princess being a hard one to grow into!

• No, I can't think of any off the top of my head but that is bc none of them actually have "cutesy" names! Most people I know have pretty traditional, common names. Even the ones that are a bit unique still don't fall into the "cutesy" realm. There are actually only a few names that won't grow well IMO. Those include Kaylee, Kylie, Rylie, etc. I haven't heard of many male names that fit into this category though.
  • For me, the name Corey falls into this category... it's like the Caden of the 80's generation... (except that at the very least, any unhappy Cadens can go by Cade)
  • I don't think your name is absolutely your destiny, but it definitely helps form your personality.  People have an idea of what kind of person belongs to a name, and that could affect the way that person is treated.

You mention Misty and Sunshine, and honestly, although they may be very nice and very successful, my initial impression of them isn't "savvy businesswoman", and first impressions do matter.  I would imagine they'd have to battle their way through people's eye-rolling or joking or disbelief many, many times throughout their lives.  Why do that to someone?

• I guess names are all in the ear of the beholder because I don't think of little girls when I hear Brittany and Tiffany, I think of women between the ages of 20 and 35.  They're certainly timestamped names, but I don't think I'd have a hard time taking a Brittany or Tiffany seriously if they appeared sharp. 

I know many of us hate the Caden's Braden's and Nevaeh's, but let's face it, kids with these names will be future doctors, teachers, lawyers etc (well, maybe not Nevaeh hehe)  These names sound childish to us because it's kids who have them.  Just like I'm sure Jennifer sounded babyish to the Linda's and Susan's who were adults at the time. 

• LMS05LMS05 member
    imageNikiT:

I guess names are all in the ear of the beholder because I don't think of little girls when I hear Brittany and Tiffany, I think of women between the ages of 20 and 35.? They're certainly timestamped names, but I don't think I'd have a hard time taking a Brittany or Tiffany seriously if they appeared sharp.?

Me too. They don't sound childish to me at all. Heidi sounds young, but I still love it. ?

• Well, Trulee was 3 years old and her twin was Hope. I couldn't help but think it was only chosen for the play on words to be 'cute'. Their cousin was Trinity.

The only Cadens/Kaydens/Kaidens I have ever heard of are babies born in the last 5 years...never even heard the name before that. I think that is why it feels childish to me. ?

?

• I think Molly and Maggie don't age well. Oh wait, Maggie is on my list! hahaha She can go by Margaret when she's older.?
  • I have few friends that have "trendy" names, outside of me. But I, and the other Lori's of the 70's, will someday be in nursing homes filled with Lisa's, Jennifer's and Amy's, so I think I shall survive.

The only thing I have with "growing" into your name, or outgrowing it, is that your parents do you a disservice in giving you a nickname for a given name because you don't have those choices. As a Lori, not a Loretta who goes by Lori, I know I've felt that.

Joseph will have the option to be a Joey to his friends, a Joe at work, a Joseph when he meets people for the first time.

• I agree that the names will be normal to the generation, so they won't sound strange. ?I can easily picture high-schoolers named Caden. ?People thought Jessica was a strange name 30 years ago, and now it's totally normal to us. So yes, I think it ages with you.

I have a harder time with people who are named after parents or and have a name I associate with an older generation. ?DH's name is Richard (Rich), and it sort of sticks out to me. ?I have met VERY few Richards our age. ?I think it's easier with grandparents because the names are starting to cycle back in again, but to me the names of your parents' generation have sometimes aged past you!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Yes. One is a girl named Cori. She is brilliantly smart and witty, yet her name just doesn't match her.

I used to work with a Kayecee. She just was refined in person than you would have guessed from her name. Her name just screams "little girl!!" 

Blank!
  • imagecranberry27:

I agree that the names will be normal to the generation, so they won't sound strange.  I can easily picture high-schoolers named Caden.  People thought Jessica was a strange name 30 years ago, and now it's totally normal to us. So yes, I think it ages with you.

I have a harder time with people who are named after parents or and have a name I associate with an older generation.  DH's name is Richard (Rich), and it sort of sticks out to me.  I have met VERY few Richards our age.  I think it's easier with grandparents because the names are starting to cycle back in again, but to me the names of your parents' generation have sometimes aged past you!!

I think that's kind of the beauty of nick-names, though.  When I met my husband I knew him as "Rocky".  His ID says "Rocky" all of his credit cards have that name, so I just assumed he was Rocky.  But after dating several months I finally met his sister who asked me if I knew what his real name is.  After seeing my blank stare she informed me I was dating an Earl.  But he's still Rocky, he just also happens to be Earl which his father, Grandfather, and Great-Grandfather's name (and will be our son's name if we have one).  Even his social security number is linked to the name Rocky as well as Earl.  So it's not like you're truly stuck with the name you are given.  When we got married he really wanted to use Earl during the ceremony, but otherwise has never gone by Earl and even the government doesn't care and just incorporated Rocky for him.

• A girl I went to high school with was named Treasure.   I ran into her years later and she had gone as far as legally changing her name.  She said it was awful having this cutsey/term of affection name while applying for jobs.

One of my husband's co-workers is named Kailee.  It so doesn't suit her. I'm sure it was cute when she was a blond 5 year old.   Now, she is a strong 20-something year old cop in major crimes with this little girl cute name.  She says she doesn't know what her parents were thinking giving her this sing-songy name with a double 'ee' ending.  Everyone calls her by her last name.

• I had a professor named Ashley. It just never seemed right for a professor. It might have been partially her personality since she always seemed like she was scrambling to establish her authority instead of trying to teach and guide graduate students. Her name just bugged me through the whole semester.
  • star678star678 member

I agree with Fredalina. 

There are a few people who didn't grow into their names that I know:  Queenie, Sparkle, and Lulabelle.

Married in 2008 - DD born in 2010 - EDD 6.15.2012!
  • imageCourtneyRDH:
    I think Molly and Maggie don't age well. Oh wait, Maggie is on my list! hahaha She can go by Margaret when she's older.

Funny. My mom is Margaret but has gone by Maggie for the last 56 years. I totally think it grows well.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I recently met a grown woman named Makenzie and I thought the name sounded too childish for a grown woman, perhaps because all the Makenzies, McKenzies, etc. I'd ever met before were little girls. I also hate the "Mc" names, so that could be a factor, too.
  • I think it totally depends on the person.  I know a lot of grown women named Katie and it fits them perfectly, but my sister only went by the nickname Katie until she was about 5 years old and by that point, it just seemed too "young" for her.  So maybe it has something to do with a person's personality too.  I knew a Trinity, and she's a really successful lawyer now so even though it may sound childish to some people, it hasn't hindered her at all (google Trinity Hundredmark... it's kind of hard to forget a name like that lol). 
    BFP #1 Sept. 2011 EDD 5.25.12 missed MC on 11.17.11 | BFP #2 4.30.12 11dpo EDD 1.10.13 | Grow, baby, grow!
    01.03.09 {MARRIED BIO}
    imageimageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • I think as all the Tiffanys and Brittanys grow older and the name falls out of fashion, it will be an "old lady" name.

Names come and go in cycles.

• imageCourtneyRDH:
    I think Molly and Maggie don't age well. Oh wait, Maggie is on my list! hahaha She can go by Margaret when she's older.

Interesting. When I hear Maggie, I think the opposite. I can easily picture an older woman with that name. Perhaps it's because I know a couple of ladies with that name.

• I know a grown man named Bailey who despises his name and uses his mn instead.  He said it just sounds like a dog or baby name to him.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"