High-Risk Pregnancy

IU question

I am 24 weeks and have started having contraction about a month ago. They vary day to day but are consistantly getting worse.I had them with DS and he ended up being born at 35 weeks. I feel that the Dr.s did not did not take me seriously when I would tell them about the contractions with DS. This time around they are treating it differently, but my question is if you were diagnosed with IU at what point were you given the diagnosis (i.e.-how many contractions in a certain time frame) and when were you perscribed any medication to stop the contractions?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: IU question

• I was diagnosed at 29 weeks, though I'd had a few full-blown IU episodes prior to that but thought they were "normal." ?There was no magical number of contractions for me... But that day my OB sent me to triage where we found out I was contracting every three minutes. ?They gave me three terbutaline shots and I was then put on oral terb thereafter. ?I broke through oral terb at 33 weeks and landed in the hospital for six days on a magnesium drip, then toradol, then back on oral terb. ?For what it's worth, I think bed rest was more effective than any of the medications I was on.

(My DS was not born early because of my IU, just FYI!)?

• I had prelim diagnosis around 16 weeks (yes, way early) after a bout of consistent contractions the night before.  Doc put me on Procardia right then - very precautious due to my previous losses.  I'm still contracting through the meds, but there's no consistency or pattern.
  • Loading the player...
  • I was put on procardia at 24wk when i was contracting every 2-3 min and was 1cm/50%. they were able to stop labor though and sent me home with a diagnosis of preterm contractions since my cervix stopped changing. I think I got the IU diagnosis shortly after that when it was apparent that the cx weren't going away even through the meds. I also had PTL the rest of my pg until I went into labor though so it wasn't just IU for me. I came off bedrest and procardia at 34wk and went into labor at 36. GL!!
  • I was diagnosed around 26 weeks when I was consistently having 5-8 BH/hr. Sometimes I would have them to the point where I couldn't tell when they would come and go and it just seemed like one long contraction for hours. I had to go to L&D and when I was on the monitor the doctor said my contraction pattern indicated IU. I got a shot of terb at the hospital, then was put on the lowest dose of procardia along with orders for minimal activity, which basically meant going to work and coming home. About 5 weeks later I had begun to dilate and efface so my procardia dose was increased and I was put on bedrest until I reached 34 weeks.

?

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was diagnosed at 22 weeks.  I went to L&D when I was having 4 contractions per hour, roughly. My OB is very conservative and likes to "play it safe".  They monitored me and saw that I had very frequent low-level uterine activity.  Like little scratches on the printout every couple minutes, and a bigger one here and there.  I got put on 17P at 23 weeks.   She also prescribed me oral Terb in case I get 5 or more in an hour.   I have to say that the 17P is helping to calm my uterus.  I also drink chamomile tea and that seems to help too. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"