Baby Names

popularity of margaret

i know this name has been declining in popularity in recent years. since classic names are becoming more popular, do you think it will turn around soon and go back into the top 150-100?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: popularity of margaret

• It's at the top of my pg friend's list.  But I haven't really heard of many other people who want to use it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It could come back in the top 100 or so.

It's hard to say. I know no one in real life considering that name though. Although it's Dhs sister's name.

• Loading the player...
  • I kind of doubt it. A lot of the classic names coming back are ultra feminine flowy names, like ones that end in a, like Olivia or Samantha.

Margaret ?just has a very different sound to it. I don't think it'll be jumping too far very soon.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Hmmm.  I don't think quite enough time has passed yet, unlike some of the other names that have come back, and like PP said, it's very different style-wise.  There are many people in my parents' generation named Margaret, and usually it's a two-generation gap at least.  It's growing on me though.
  • I feel as though it might be due for a slight increase in popularity (don't ask me why...), but I definitely don't see an Olivia-style resurgency.

I really like the name Margaret, if it was a family name for DH or I, I'd strongly consider it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've been toying with this name for awhile now. ?It was my grandma's name, and I think it'd be a lovely tribute to her. ?However, we'd probably use the n/n Maggie.
  • LMS05LMS05 member
    It won't be in the top 10, but I definitely see it being in the top 50-75. Maggie and Meg are adorable nn and Margaret is a classic name so I can understand the appeal. I like Margaret a lot.?
  • I would say that it's probably going to get more popular.  A lot people seem to like the nn Maggie and if they want to give a full name, Margaret is the likely candidate.
  • imagesmismar:
    I would say that it's probably going to get more popular.  A lot people seem to like the nn Maggie and if they want to give a full name, Margaret is the likely candidate.

Yup.  Especially since Maddie is such a popular nn (Madison, Madeleine), I could see people wanting to name their daughters Maggie, and use Margaret as the full name.  

That's why if I use Margaret (I love the name) I'd do Greta as the nn.

• I haven't head that name much lately, it may come back into popularity in the future
  • I haven't heard of the name being popular recently. I guess any name can become popular in the near future. I just don't think Margaret will though, IMO.
  • My niece is Margaret. I think it's going to get popular because of the n/n Maggie. That's what we call my niece.
  • I don't think it will turn around any time soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"