Austin Babies

Hypothetical ?

So if you were to get the swine flu and were bfing, would it be safe to continue? I'm seriously freaked out by how fast it's spreading around - scary!!

Re: Hypothetical ?

• It would be like any other flu---your child could catch it from you germs in the air wise but not BF wise. you will provide the antibodies.

my oldest dd, my dh and I all had the flu earlier this year and our new dd was only 2 months old and she was fine--got a little runny nose that was it.

just keep washing yoru hands well. 

• As far as I know, you don't stop BFing for any illness you get.

I called the Dr. in a panic when E was 3 months old b/c I had BAD stomach problems.  His response:  if it's food poisoning, it's in your gut and won't pass through the milk.  if it's stomach flu, your kid needs your antibodies.

agree with pp -- your kid could use any antibodies you're able to give, so keep up the BFing

imageimage
    6-yr-old Elena and 4-yr-old Julia.
    My Blog! All about my girls and quilting
  • Loading the player...
  • 2H2L2H2L member
     I also wondered this...Thanks for the answer borah22 and nanann. I was trying to decide whether to call and ask the pedi.
  • Thanks ladies...it makes sense to keep doing it! Hopefully the swine flu (and all other flus, for that matter) will stay far away from our house, though.
  • I actually read about that on the CDC web site yesterday when I was looking at info for pregnant women. They said just what borah and nanann said, wash your hands frequently and cover your sneeze/cough, but keep bf'ing.

Kimberly, DH Monte, Angel baby 10/06, Angel twin 7/07, Rhett Kaden, our IVF miracle, born 3/23/08, Mason Robert & Wyatt David, our FET miracles, born 8/2/09 at 36 weeks, 3 days
    Our Blog

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"