Houston Babies
Options

Daycare questions

I know this varies by location, but in your experience, how long was the wait list for daycares?  What things did you look for when you started looking?  I'm already thinking about this but don't plan on doing tours, etc until later.  I'm just not sure how much later I should wait and what kind of questions to ask, things to look for, etc.  Thanks!!
After 2 years and 6 IUIs, we did it with IVF w/ ICSI!
BFP with no treatment!
Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Daycare questions

• Options

I signed up when I was 8 weeks pregnant and Joe was the very last kid accepted into his class. I think they pulled a few strings for us too, since his cousins go to the school already.

I'd sign up and apay deposits FAST!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Eek, MGR!!!  I was planning on figuring that all out at 12 weeks after our next ultrasound.  Maybe I should start visiting next week instead....

I just wish I knew what to look for.  I was told it was a lot of "gut feeling" but I feel so clueless right now!

BFP with no treatment!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I agree with "gut feeling" and reputation among your neighbors etc.

What part of town are you in?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I'm in Clear Lake City.  I don't really have anyone to ask for recommendations.  :(
    BFP with no treatment!
  • Options
    ours was 6 months.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We looked in Feb for a June opening.  The two that were our top picks both had waits for the infant room until DECEMBER!  We got on the waiting lists, but had to sign up for another daycare that was available for June for the meantime.

Don't you know you have to plan your pregnancy around your daycare??  ;-)

• Options

imageCajun_gal:
    I'm in Clear Lake City.  I don't really have anyone to ask for recommendations.  :(

I'm looking in the Clear Lake/Friendswood area too Big Smile. I'll pass on whatever opinions I get ....

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageCareBear01:

We looked in Feb for a June opening.  The two that were our top picks both had waits for the infant room until DECEMBER!  We got on the waiting lists, but had to sign up for another daycare that was available for June for the meantime.

Don't you know you have to plan your pregnancy around your daycare??  ;-)

Haha!  I hadn't had any freak outs yet about actually having the baby until I realized I need to figure out this daycare thing.  It's overwhelming since I feel so clueless!  And yes, I feel like I have to rush because of wait lists!

BFP with no treatment!
  • Options
    imageTexasAgMel:

imageCajun_gal:

I'm looking in the Clear Lake/Friendswood area too Big Smile. I'll pass on whatever opinions I get ....

Thank you!!  I made a list of 5 that are around our neighborhood and on the way to work - needs to be in between CLC Blvd and Nasa Rd 1 close to El Camino or Space Center.  Hopefully 1 of the 5 will be a good match.  I can share with you the ones I'm going to be calling if you'd like.

BFP with no treatment!
  • Options

OK...now I am freaking out a little too.  I don't know what I want to do after I have the baby yet as far as work goes or if I want to do daycare vs nanny.  I think I want to work part-time but not sure yet. 

Were any of you in similar situations and how did you handle it?  We're in Katy....I wonder if the daycare situation is the same here.  I'd hate to pay a deposit for something I won't even use.

• Options

I can't remember the last time I posted on here.  As you can see from my siggy picture it's been awhile.  My son goes to First Class Child Development Center off Clear Lake City Blvd. He has been there for 8 months now and loves it.  The teachers there really do listen to you, and care.  In fact my son started out with 4 little boys in his room, and they are still there.  His class has really grown. I think he has 8 toddlers in his room. When I started looking the waiting list was not that long, but the daycare seems to be growing. 

• Options
    imagelil_penguin:

I can't remember the last time I posted on here.  As you can see from my siggy picture it's been awhile.  My son goes to First Class Child Development Center off Clear Lake City Blvd. He has been there for 8 months now and loves it.  The teachers there really do listen to you, and care.  In fact my son started out with 4 little boys in his room, and they are still there.  His class has really grown. I think he has 8 toddlers in his room. When I started looking the waiting list was not that long, but the daycare seems to be growing. 

This is on my list of places to call.  Thank you so much for the recommendation!!

BFP with no treatment!
  • Options

Honestly, there is no time that is too early. We already have K2 signed up.

With K1, we did not do the footwork early and were sidelined in the last month by bedrest. So, we scrambled after he was born - we were lucky to find an opening in our current daycare which is a wonderful place. It is pricey and it was not our first choice for that reason - but we had no choice (and it has turned out to be a happy accident).

Point is - do it early - get on the lists.

• Options
    Sorry I don't have any recommendations, I just wanted to say that it is crazy how early we (as in all parents) have to start looking for childcare!  My Mom's friend runs the center I planned on using, when my Mom told her we had just found out we were expecting she said she would have to add us to the list and couldn't promise a spot -- that was June '07 for a May '08 opening.  I just kept thinking how could anyone even know that they were pg any earlier than I found out! 
  • Options
    I I don't have any answers, but just wanted to say CONGRATS!!! I'm so happy for you! I haven't been on the main board in awhile so I must have missed your annoucement.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagenvp05:
    I I don't have any answers, but just wanted to say CONGRATS!!! I'm so happy for you! I haven't been on the main board in awhile so I must have missed your annoucement.

Thank you!!!  Big Smile

BFP with no treatment!
  • Options
    imageCajun_gal:
    imageTexasAgMel:

imageCajun_gal:

Thank you!!  I made a list of 5 that are around our neighborhood and on the way to work - needs to be in between CLC Blvd and Nasa Rd 1 close to El Camino or Space Center.  Hopefully 1 of the 5 will be a good match.  I can share with you the ones I'm going to be calling if you'd like.

Oh, yes, please do!  TIA!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Here you go:

Childtime Learning Center 2590 Falcon Pass  281-280-0616

Discovery Kingdom 14325 Crescent Landing  281-280-8282

First Class Child Development 1250 Clear Lake City BLVD  281-486-0027

Kinder Care NO 1323 14777 El Camino Real  281-480-4777

Knowledge Learning Corp dba KinderCare Learning Center 16610 Sea Lark RD  281-488-5391

I've talked to Discovery Kingdom, First Class, and Kinder Care No 1323 so far.  I'm planning on dropping in at Discovery Kingdom and Kinder Care next week for a tour and hope one of those will be who we'll use.  I didn't feel right about the 1st Class place.  It's a little more expensive, and they seemed to REALLY want me to set a time to come and not to just show up.  There was just something that wasn't right.  I guess gut feeling really is important!

BFP with no treatment!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"