Baby Names

How many Jacob's do YOU know?

I'm torn. I love the name Jacob, but it's been #1 in popularity for the last 2 years.  I think it's a classic name that will never go out of style (unlike some other top names), but I don't want my son to be known as Jake S. in a class of 5 Jacob's.  I have no friends or family that have used the name, and the only Jake I do know is in his 50's.  How many Jacob's do you know?  Would you use it if you were me? 
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: How many Jacob's do YOU know?

• I only know one...my uncle..but I think it's gaining popularity due to Twilight..But it's a nice name
    My Wonderful Sister is my GC!!!! 3 IUIs, 2 unmedicated, 1 50mg of Clomid = All BFNs Next step IVF!!!! Melinda & Michael 5*6*06 God Bless The Broken Road
  • I know a 6 year old, an 8 year old, and a 20 year old. But I do live in a particular area where the name isn't super popular. It's my favorite boy name, but I don't think we'll use it because of the popularity.
  • Loading the player...
  • We're debating this right now too.  Jacob has ALWAYS been our first choice boy's name.  I've loved it since I was 12, and DH is a big fan too.  DH has a cousin (he's 5 or 6) named Jacob, so we decided not to use it for DS.  Well, now that we're pregnant again we've started talking about it again.  We only see his cousin once a year, so it's really not that big of a deal.  And our other 2 kids have popular names as well.

Hard decision, but I think we're leaning pretty heavily towards using it.  Oh, and FWIW, DH's cousin is the only Jacob I know.

DD1 - 12.25.05
    (m/c 1.17.07, m/c 5.15.07)
    DS - 03.15.08
    DD2 - 12.03.09
    DD3 - 3.28.11
  • Have you looked at the popularity in your state? That might help you make a decision. I can think of two baby Jacobs I know of off the top of my head. I can think of a few I knew in high school that were named Jacob or Jake.?

I don't necearrily know that many...but I feel like I hear it all the time. It just feels common.?

I wouldn't use it just because ?I would prefer one not that high on the list-but it is a nice name. If I really loved it, I might use it as a mn instead of a first.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • i know of at least 9 or 10...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I can think of six Jacobs that I know.  I like them all though, and I would use the name.  GL!
  • I named my son Jacob, I didn't care about the popularity I just liked the name. I had several students named Jacob and they were all wonderful. Other than previous students the only Jake I know is my neighbor.
  • I don't know any. Yes, I would use it.

We were going to use Avery if we were having a girl. On here, people scream "popular! popular! popular!" But- I honestly don't know ANY of any age. Even as a teacher. So, I had no problems with using it.

Popular is all relative. It depends on where you are.

PLUS, some people use a name that isn't popular only for it to become popular a few years later. You just never know.

So... use the name you love!

• i know several, all different ages. top 100 is way too popular for me, let alone the most popular name of all.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I could care less about the popularity of names.  If it's a name you like, then join the club!  Jacob is a classic name and BTW, I don't know one person name Jacob...past or present, even at work.
  • i know about 5 but they're all in their 20's.  i like the name.
  • LMS05LMS05 member

Jacob is Dh's middle name, his grandpa's name and my great-grandpas name, BUT I'm not using it because it's too popular. I know it's a classic, but classics can be very popular and Jacob is one of those names. He will be one of many Jacobs in his classroom. It's really no question in my mind. We are using it as a middle name instead.

My mom's a preschool teacher and she always has multiple Jacobs/Jakes in her classroom. I know Jacobs that are children up to adults. My nephew is Jake.?

• imagethatgirlang:

I don't know any. Yes, I would use it.

We were going to use Avery if we were having a girl. On here, people scream "popular! popular! popular!" But- I honestly don't know ANY of any age. Even as a teacher. So, I had no problems with using it.

Popular is all relative. It depends on where you are.

PLUS, some people use a name that isn't popular only for it to become popular a few years later. You just never know.

So... use the name you love!

?

This. ?That said, I work with little boys and I know a TON ages 2-10.?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers imageimage
  • It's a bit too popular for me.  If you are concerned about the popularity of the name, I wouldn't use it.  I know about 10 little Jacobs between the ages of 6 months and 4 years old (considering all of my family's kids, as well as friends' children and neighbors).  It is by far the most common baby name out of all the babies/young children DH and I know.  (The next one being Addison - we know 3 little Addisons).  So, it seems rather common in my area, anyway. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• 1 - and he's 5
  • I know 1 Jacob, he's 29
  • I know 3 or 4 Jakes under the age of 5. I would not use it because it's so popular.
  • I only know one and he's about 5 years old. I think Jacob is a great, classic name, but personally I wouldn't use it because of its popularity. It was ranked #4 in Maryland in 2007.
  • WAY TOO MANY... I'm a teacher and I've officially lost track.  I'll bet I've had at least 15 in the 5 years I've been teaching.
  • I know 2 Jacob's, one is in his late 30's and the other is 1yr old.  I would use it if you like it that much.
  • Two: my DH, and a friend's 11yr old.

I'm not one to ask about popularity though, I have an Abigail.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"