Georgia Babies

Homeowner question

Our brand new hardwood floors in the laundry room and the area by our back door are ruined. I went out of town for a few days and DH called to tell me that he washed some cushion covers and something hit the washer hose. So water went onto the hardwoods and our bedroom carpet. The AC stopped working that night so he went down to the basement and found more water down there. It makes me so sad that our house isn't even 8 months old and the floors are ruined. 

We were going to try to contact the builder and see how much it would be to replace the area that goes ruined. Do you know if the homeowner's policy will cover this?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Homeowner question

• Do you know if you have a warranty with your builder?  Most have a 1 year warranty and I think that should be covered. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lily  pie Second Birthday tickers
  • I would not file and insurance claim.  Brad said it would be less than $500 to have the floor sanded and refinished.  Check with your builder.  They should be able to get the same company out there that did the floors to refinish them.
  • Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't file an insurance claim, it's not worth it.  This is not something that your warranty will cover, since you did the damage yourself, and it's not a construction fault.

I don't know what kind of floor it is, but it's it is a pre-finished lay-in plank style wood (a cheaper hardwood), a professioanal can replace the damaged planks.  You could lightly sand and refinish it yourself if the damage isn't too deep into the grain of the wood.

If it's a traditional wood floor, it should be able to be sanded, recoated and buffed.

• imageKerrin:

I wouldn't file an insurance claim, it's not worth it.  This is not something that your warranty will cover, since you did the damage yourself, and it's not a construction fault.

I don't know what kind of floor it is, but it's it is a pre-finished lay-in plank style wood (a cheaper hardwood), a professioanal can replace the damaged planks.  You could lightly sand and refinish it yourself if the damage isn't too deep into the grain of the wood.

If it's a traditional wood floor, it should be able to be sanded, recoated and buffed.

Thanks. It is a traditional wood floor with grains in it. I'll mention to DH about trying to fix it ourselves or finding someone that can do it. I think I am just so upset about the floors that I didn't think through all the options of how to fix it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm pretty sure that you live in the same neighborhood as a good friend of mine. A very similar thing happened to them except it was with the dishwasher.  I would definitely check with the builder and make sure whatever caused the water leak wasn't something they installed incorrectly!!!  Message me on here or fb if you want anymore info.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"