Breastfeeding
Options

random STTN and engorgement - ouch!

OK i know there is no magic answer, but yikes, how do you deal with the boob pain when your LO is only sporadically STTN?  the past couple of weeks my DD was slowly starting to sleep a lot better, we would get a 5-7 hour stretch each night.  my boobs were slowly adjusting and would hurt a little but i wasn't pumping because i wanted to get used to that schedule.  but then she regressed it seemed, and the last couple of nights she was up every 3-4 hours.  (maybe the four month wakeful, slightly early for us?)  for night wakings, i always just change her if necessary and then feed her and she goes right back down.

anyway tonight she has been asleep for over 8 hours now and of course i am WIDE awake, not just to check on her but because i am uncomfortable.  my right boob overproduces anyway, and man it was like a ROCK, so i just pumped a few ounces to relieve the pressure.  but i didn't empty it, and i didn't pump the underproducing side cuz it doesn't feel as bad.  i keep expecting her to wake and need to eat any minute but i have no idea.  am i screwing up my supply by doing this?

how do you deal with it as they randomly STTN?  

and maybe this means when she does wake in 3-4 hrs at night, i should be trying to soothe her back to sleep instead of feeding her. but it's so hard to know what she wants and i'm tired so i just nurse... :)

Re: random STTN and engorgement - ouch!

• Options
    I'm in the same boat.  Some nights I get up and pump a little.  Other times, like last night, I'm so tired I sleep through the pain and DS eventually relieves it when he eats.  My biggest fear though is mastitis!  I've already had it twice-I'm sure I'll get it again with these long stretches.
  • Options
    No ideas for you, just commiseration.  My LO has gotten erratic again after STTN for a few months.  I woke up this morning in the same boat.  I just went and got him as soon as I heard him moving and nursed in bed.  Hopefully, they'll get a little more consistent.  I don't think you're messing up your supply by pumping a couple of ounces for relief.  I am just going with it for now!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    thanks ladies... here's hoping none of us have any mastitis problems and they start getting on a schedule for us soon.  Big Smile
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"