Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Anyone Not Being Careful?

I just got my D&C a week ago.  We weren't supposed to have sex for 2 weeks after.  Oops.  My doc said to wait 3mos before trying again.  I've heard of many others that recommend waiting 1 month.  I know these things.  I want my next pregnancy to be successful.  But for some reason I'm not concerned about conceiving again right away.  I'm just super confident that my body can handle it and my next pregnancy will be fine.  Am I crazy?  Are my chances of another miscarriage much more if I don't wait or wait only a short amount of time?  Or do you know anyone to did get KU shortly after their MC and had successful pregnancies?  Thanks for the input.  I'm hoping that I'm thinking clearly and it's not distorted through a haze of hormones.

Re: Anyone Not Being Careful?

• I'd be careful. ?BUT that's just from my experience. ?I had a m/c in January. ?We didn't have sex until 1 month to the day after the m/c. ?Whelp ~ in March I waited & waited for AF - nada. ?POAs - BFP! ?Then I had another m/c in April. ?The Dr. thought it could have been fine but I can't help but wonder. ?We are anxious to TTC SOON - and I feel as if this loss is a huge set back.

SO ~ that's just my experience & my 2 cents!?

• There are many women that go on to have healthy pregnancies the very next cycle. My ob told us to wait 2 cycles and I think we're only waiting 1. I would consult with your dr to see why he said 3 cycles. Is it more for emotional healing than physical. He knows your case best. But there are also women who did not follow dr's advice and went on to m/c again making them wonder if that was the reason. GL!
  • Loading the player...
  • I was like you after my first m/c. I was so anxious to ttc and get pregnant. We waited the one month like we were suppose to and got pregnant the following month and lost the baby at 8 weeks.

I would personally say that since you had a D&C I would wait a couple of months to let your lining build back up. That's just my personal opinion. GL.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i bled for 3.5 weeks after my d&c. finally the bleeding stopped and we were clear to have sex. i went to the store and bought condoms b/c i wanted to be extra careful at least until af arrived. it had been so long since me and dh had been able to have sex. well one thing led to another and we got so caught up in the moment, we didn't use the condoms. well now i am consumed with worry. i know there is a small window of opportunity to get ku. but i will be filled with worry and guilt if we get a bfp before my first af. take it from me....at least wait until your first af.

• It is important to wait to ttc til after AF..  After a D&C the lining of your uterus is very thin.  They "scrape" the lining out.  You need to give your body time to refresh that lining. 

Also I got pg the first cycle after a D&C, and I lost that pg at 18 weeks due to an infection that was probably present from conception (from my D&C).  PLEASE be careful...  I would hate to see someone else go through what I did!

• My OB and my MIL (who is a fertility nurse of over 30 years), both said to wait one full normal cycle, then it would be safe to TTC again. I really trust my OB and MIL (who of course has myself and her future grand baby in her best interest), and they both said one full normal cycle, then it's safe to TTC, but not before.I wouldn't want to TTC before I get AF evrm though it's tempting, it's not worth the risk. I know it's hard to be patient, but you really do need to let your body recover, even if it is only for one or two months. Because you may end up just starting back at square one if you did get pregnant right away and then God forbid m/c'd again. I haven't heard of any sucessful pregnancies with woman who conceived right after a D&C or m/c before getting AF, but I have heard of many where they got pregnant the next month AFTER their first normal AF. Please please try and be patient and be careful. It will be worth it in the long term. Also what you have to remember, is the woman who are told to wait 3 months, or however long they are told, are told that by their doctors, who know their specific situation and their body. You REALLY need to listen to what your doctor says, they know best. You'll be fine, hang in there and try to do things to occupy the time until you TTC. I know, I know, easier said than done :) GL sweetie! :)
  • I had every intention of using condoms in the first month after my m/c but when the time came to have sex I just couldn't do it.  Having sex for the first couple of times was emotional and I just wanted it to be normal. I also felt a) numb and reckless from the grief and b)like it took 6  months the first time so it won't happen. Fast forward 4 weeks and no AF and positive BFP. Is is left over hormones or am I KU?  Only bloodwork will tell.  And if I am, I'll be stressed about losing this pregancy too because it was too soon.  From my position I would recommend waiting at least one cycle.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I miscarried in Dec. Had a D&C. got my period. Got pregnant and miscarried again..So I would definately try and wait at least 3 months. My 2 cents.
  • there are women who get BFP first cycle after m/c and are fine but there are also ones that m/c that first cycle.  My OB recommended waiting 3 months to let my body heal and let my uterine lining heal but also she wanted us to wait 3 months to heal emotionally.  she said so many women get pregnant that first month and then if they m/c they're dealing such an heavier emotional load.  You pay your OB/GYn for their medical expertise...trust them.  I agree with what others said, your doctor knows your medical history so I'm sure she has her reasons for telling you to wait.  I'd be very careful. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"