Baby Names

unexpected results for caroline

i put caroline into the name mapper on the baby name wizard website, which shows the popularity of names that are in the top 100 in each state. i figured since it's such a classic and common name, it would be all over the place.

instead, the entire left side (basically anything west of tx) and some of the northern states are totally blank. it was #22 in south carolina in 2004 but apparently is still less common in a huge portion of the country. really weird, i never thought of it as a 'southern' name.

here's the link:

https://namemapper.babynamewizard.com/namemapper/

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: unexpected results for caroline

• wow, that is odd.  I have live in NJ, VA, and KY and now that I think about it, the only Caroline's I have ever known come from the south!
  • imageleah1615:
    wow, that is odd.  I have live in NJ, VA, and KY and now that I think about it, the only Caroline's I have ever known come from the south!
    leah, i never like anyone's names on here but i just wanted to say i love your boy names, especially henry brooks- i love surnames as middle names. katherine adair is definitely my favorite of your girl names, good job!
  • Loading the player...
  • LMS05LMS05 member
    I think of Caroline as a southern name (one of the reasons I like it) :) I've only met 1 Caroline in my entire life. Until I came on this board I had NO IDEA it was considered a classic because it's so uncommon in my area. That being said, we are naming our daughter Caroline.?
  • imagetct1219:
    imageleah1615:
    wow, that is odd.  I have live in NJ, VA, and KY and now that I think about it, the only Caroline's I have ever known come from the south!
    leah, i never like anyone's names on here but i just wanted to say i love your boy names, especially henry brooks- i love surnames as middle names. katherine adair is definitely my favorite of your girl names, good job!

Thanks! Katherine Adair is definitely by far our top choice! I keep playing around with other names though because it's fun!  I also like your unique style in names!

• I live in the south now (SC) and hear my name all the time, most of the time the children are under the age of 5.  I know of someone that named their daughter Caroline b/c they are Carolina Alum.

• How strange. Caroline is actually my #1 favorite girl name, and I know a couple, but no little girls with the name.

Thanks for posting the link/info!

2012 Races: Mar 24: Great Human Race 5K. April 28: 5K for Fitness
  • I think it's very much a Southern name. I have a Caroline and I'm in Virginia. If you look on Social Sec website it's ranked #99 in 2007, which I think is pretty low nationally. However, in Virginia I swear it has to be in the Top 10 or Top 20. There is always another Caroline wherever we go. It's very popular in my area.
  • I've never thought of it as a southern name.  I grew up with a Caroline, and I have a coworker who has a daughter Caroline (I think she's 5 or 6) and I'm in Chicago.  It's not common around here, but not unheard of either.  I always thought of it as a "classic" name.
  • That's an interesting website.  Our LO's name seems to only be popular in Hawaii! 
  • imageleah1615:

imagetct1219:
    imageleah1615:

Thanks! Katherine Adair is definitely by far our top choice! I keep playing around with other names though because it's fun!  I also like your unique style in names!

thank you! most people on here don't, but that's kind of the point as i don't want a lot of people to use my names anyway!
  • I'm in the south, and I have only ever met one Caroline, but I do feel like I hear it often lately (maybe because of this board, lol). I was really surprised at some results on that namemapper too. Everyone knows how incredibly popular Grace is, but in my state it was number seventy something. I was very surprised by that, I just assumed it would be in the top ten. I is also interesting to see how some states are blank on names you'd think are popular everywhere.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I am a born & bread Yankee (LOL) & my DD#2's full name is Caroline Therese.  I never really knew any growing up but I did know a Carolyn or 2. 
    AKA Carol*Brady! IHO my upcoming 10yr Nestiversary--Back to old screenname. My own Marsha, Jan & Cindy... imageDesigning a Life Blog
  • I'm in Louisiana, and I feel like every other girl is named Caroline. I cannot tell you how many Carolines I have taught.?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"