Baby Showers
Options

Adoptive baby shower

I don't mean to intrude on your board, but what are your thoughts on having a baby shower for an adoptive child? I am so excited about planning one after I am matched and start getting my visits.

Lana

Re: Adoptive baby shower

• Options
    I threw a shower for a great friend who adopted her little girl from China.  It was hands down the most fun baby shower I've ever been to.  We were able to treat it like a fun girls brunch and everyone got to have mimosas and bellinis and wonderful cake and the most delicious foods.  We all celebrated her little girl's arrival and just all in all looked forward to her gotcha day.  To me it's absolutely appropriate to have a baby shower for an adopted baby - and I hope yours comes sooner rather than later.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks for your input
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If it's your first child, you should absolutely accept a shower if it's offered!!!  I've thrown a shower for an adoption.  The only difference was that we waited until they had the baby and all the papers were finalized; we had no idea how old the child would be, and we didn't want to take a chance on something happening with the adoption.
  • Options

A baby shower isn't just for a mother who gives birth...it should be for all first time moms.  Congratulations and best wishes!

(P.S.  It should be given to you though, not thrown by you...I see you mentioned planning yourself...)

• Options
    I think that is a great idea. My friend just adopted and they did not have a shower. But it was more because of all the circumstances (adoption was out of state and they needed to be over there for 3 weeks) and it was actually really fast  adoption we just found out about it 2  months before hand. So people gave them gifts but it was after the baby came. I am excited for you! I do think it should be like any other shower and given to you if possible but if nobody does it then have a welcome baby party. GL to you!
  • Options
    imagegrinsandgiggles:

A baby shower isn't just for a mother who gives birth...it should be for all first time moms.  Congratulations and best wishes!

(P.S.  It should be given to you though, not thrown by you...I see you mentioned planning yourself...)

I agree with this.

• Options
    imageDNK777:
    imagegrinsandgiggles:

I agree with this.

I agree as well.

• Options
    imagegrinsandgiggles:

This, exactly.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I think its a wonderful idea. It can be so fun and festive. Let us know how it turns out. Congrats on your upcoming arrival.
  • Options
    My brother and SIL are adopting and we will throw them a "meet the baby" shower.  Can't wait for them to get the referral call!
  • Options
    Congrats on getting the process started! I agree that a shower is just fine, but that it should be hosted by someone else. If no one offers then you could have a meet the baby party after he/she arrives. This may also be the best time to have a shower hosted by a friend as you may not know the age of the child that you will be matched with beforehand. Good luck!
  • Options

Thanks for all the input ladies

Lana

• Options
    I was adopted and my parents had a shower. I don't think my baby book would be complete without the shower pics (= . Seriously though, you get a shower to help welcome the baby, you don't give presents because someone's planning on going through labor. Have your shower and have a great time!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"