Special Needs

RP: Is sign language good/helpful for autistic kids?

I know someone whose son is currently being evaluated and whether he is autistic or not, his language is very delayed.  He's 2+ and has said 2-3 words only once each.  I feel so bad for them and want to help in some way.  I thought of offering to let them use our baby sign language DVDs, but want to make sure it's something that would be helpful to them, rather than something else that could lead to further frustration.  Does anyone know?  Or do you know of anything else that I might be able to do to help?  I plan on asking them if there's any sort of communication they want me to do anytime I see him, which is often.  Thanks!

Re: RP: Is sign language good/helpful for autistic kids?

• I think it is. ?My DD didn't say much for a while and the speech therapist started her off with simple signs like "more" and "me." ?It really helped her to start communicating. ?
    imageimage
    107 Read/listened to in 2011: 91 Books/16 Audiobooks
    Read 2012: 33/50
  • you can always offer it to them and if it works, great! ?if it doesn't then at least you tried!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP 3/9/12 Natural M/C 4/11/12

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I would offer....can't hurt. ?It is something I typically try, but it's not always what works best.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers imageimage
  • I totally retract my pregnant-therapist-awake-at-4-am advice in favor of Auntie's. ?I recommend it when I am a child's therapist, and encourage people to try it when they ask me about it directly. ?But I forgot to take off the therapy hat there. ?I agree with her. ?Judge the situation very carefully.
  • nmb02nmb02 member

As a teacher of students with autism. I use the signs with certain kids. It all depends on the student. THe one sign that I WOULD NOT TEACH AT ALL is more. Kids use it as the sign for everything that they want or need.

• imagenmb02:

As a teacher of students with autism. I use the signs with certain kids. It all depends on the student. THe one sign that I WOULD NOT TEACH AT ALL is more. Kids use it as the sign for everything that they want or need.

?

?

Really? ?I find it a very motivating way to start with a child who is not communicating. ?I feel like it shows them that they can communicate effectively without pointing, screaming, or whining. ?Some of them definitely want to use it for everything, but once they have it mastered the demand needs to be raised to include new words and 2-word combos. ?When I hear about people who have taught sign and feel that it has discouraged verbal word use, I generally think the same. ?Once they master the skill, you have to ask for more, or they will stick with what works, definitely.

• nmb02nmb02 member

Maybe it is just students in my building. I work in a special school for students for communication disorders of some sort. The students who are autistic are very sevre and alot of times their communication has not advanced by the time they have gotten to me in Middle school. Alot of my students will come up to me and sign "more" and expect you to know what they want. I will give them what I believe they want. IF that is not what they want they throw a fit. OUr building is moving away from teaching students with autism the sign for "more" and on to the non general signs like bathroom, juice, soda, work, and swing. We have had many problems with the word more. My students are not able to do the 2 word combos and have a hard time picking up on the new signs.

• We taught DS a few signs.  HATE it.  will never do it again!!!  He only uses the 3-4 signs and will not talk.  it is horrible.  every one kept saying it will be helpful. umm NO, it is worse now!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"