Breastfeeding
Options

Getting frustrated with my supply. Please help.

I have been at this for almost 5 months now and so far bf has been a dream. He eats well, gains wieght well, no problems.

But all of a sudden my supply is going down. I am a sahm (except saturdays) so I didnt invest in an expensive pump knowing that I would be home almost always and bottle feeding would be minimal.

I am a wedding photographer so I am gone most of the day on Sat and not able to pump as much as I would feed him if I was at home. Maybe one good pumping if I am lucky. Is it possible that this is screwing up my supply for me for the rest of the week?

I owned the harmony manual pump and really liked it. I just felt lately I wasnt getting a good suction. I was trying to pump more at night after he goes to bed to help up my supply. I have him on formula on saturdays because I cant keep up with feeding him and building a supply of my own.

I am drinking red raspberry tea... and I went and bought a new pump today hoping it would have better suction. I got 2 oz's.... I now worry I am starving my child. not really... but I bet he would be happier if I was giving him more.

thoughts, suggestions, questions... this is my 3rd child but first time breastfeeding.

Re: Getting frustrated with my supply. Please help.

• Options
    2oz at 5 months is typical. You arent supposed to pump a huge amount. He can get more from you than a pump ever will. Your supply is fine if he's having more than 6 wets a day. I recommend pumping 5-10 minutes after every nursing. When he goes down for a nap, pump about an hour after. Pump first thing in the morning. It works great if you nurse on one side and pump on the other, the letdown is so much better. You can combine the pumpings of 24 hours. That will help your stash bet bigger every day.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Thanks! I will try your suggestions!

2oz is just way less than I would have pumped 2 weeks ago. normally I get around 4 oz and I know he gets more so I always figured he was getting 5-6. I just dont see him getting that now and I have a fussier baby on my hands than I did a few weeks back.

But I am going to use your suggestions and hope things improve! thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"