Baby Showers
Options

My future MIL would rather....

go to a Kenny Chesney concert than take part in the baby shower...

Background: my sister and my mother are planning the baby shower (for both sides of the family) and just asked her if June 13th would be ok with her...she threw a fit saying that she has a concert that starts at 4pm that day. The shower was to be from 11am to 3pm.

I have told her that she could leave earlier (like 2:30ish) since it would take her about 30-40 minutes to get to the concert...

She still said no...now keep in mind this woman has never done anything nice for my fiance, she never had any kind of birthday parties for him...also the majority of the people coming from FI side of the family are from his father's side...so no one would even be sad to see her go...

Now are we being unreasonable? The 13th is the only day that the banquet hall we want has the perfect room open...ps. this is the first grandchild across the board..

Re: My future MIL would rather....

• Options
    Youre not being unreasonable. Whats the big deal about her leaving early? She is being petty
  • Options

She doesn't have to be there at all, to be honest.  She isn't a "must attend".  Let her say "no" all she wants - its really not her choice.  Youare the only person who it really matters if you can be there or not.

For what its worth- my MIL bailed on my shower.  FIL called the night before that she had an "upset stomach".  Long back story I won't go in to, but we know it was a load of crap.  Especially when the gift from her came - it had obviously been ordered online the day AFTER the shower.....

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I say book it, do it how your hosts want to do it.  She is the one that will look like a douche for not coming because of a concert...
  • Options
    I say screw her and have it when you want.  I mean...you already mentioned to her about leaving early.  And it sounds like she won't be missed at the shower! 
  • Options

imagesurprisebaby4us2009:
    I say book it, do it how your hosts want to do it.  She is the one that will look like a douche for not coming because of a concert...

my thoughts exactly

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    From what it sounds like, count yourself lucky she will not be in attendance. Seems like she could be a major party pooper. Sounds similar to mine, she actually told her side of the family not to come to my bridal party, or the surprise party I threw for DH's 30th b-day. So I am expecting the same behavior for my baby shower.  Don't change any plans for her, b/c it doesn't sound as if she would have the same courtesy for you.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I don't see why you care so much if she comes. She can't even throw a party for your FI so how much fun will she add to your baby shower? Some people just aren't into parties, or celebrating other people's events. She sounds like a fun-sponge anyway :)
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
    Birthday
  • Options

I'm with the others - don't worry about accommodating her and if she complains that she can't come, just explain that that was the only date that worked for the hostesses, you, and the shower site.

On a side note, 4 hours is on the long side for the shower; maybe think about 10:30am to 2:00pm so that she REALLY has no excuse to not come and can't complain that she was 'left out'?

• Options

No, just tell her that is the only day you can do it!

I'm having mine that day too!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"