Pregnant after 35
Options

Sprinkle/gift drama -- sort of

So my next door neighbor wanted to throw me a shower or sprinkle for #2's arrival.  We are pretty tight with these neighbors and hang out quite a bit together.  I was pretty uncomfortable with the idea because I don't want people to feel obligated to buy gifts in this economy, DD isn't that old and therefore we really don't need much at all, particularly as we are getting a lot of hand-me-downs, and I'm not the warm-fuzzy, squealing, AWing, shower type gal anyway.  Told neighbor so but neighbor was not deterred and still wanted to do it at a restaurant she'd talked to and get all this food and make it a big deal.  Another friend contacted me saying she wanted to do a lunch GTG to honor the baby (no gifts) and I was cool with that as it would be nice to see everyone, so told them to get together and asked my friend if she could work with my neighbor to rein this all in because while my friend's suggestion of a low-key GTG was fine, I wasn't as comfortable with the big shindig my neighbor wanted to host.  Friend said no problem and told me she left a message for my neighbor.

Neighbor had been bugging me for an invite list and I just ignored her and waited for my other friend to contact her.  Cue last night where neighbor came over to borrow some salad bowls.  She told me she never got a call from my friend and given that I haven't handed over a guest list to her yet, she is going to forget the sprinkle (fine by me) and instead put the money she would've put towards the shower into a Phil & Ted double stroller!!!  Here's the thing:  I know for a fact (due to her confession to me a while ago) that they have some major bills from past medical treatment and really should not be spending the money on an expensive stroller like that.  I appreciate the thought and everything but they really need to save the money for other stuff.  I told her that no way was I going to allow her to buy something so extravagant, they already did more than enough for us (we have some awesome hand-me-downs from them, including a playset and they wouldn't take a dime for them) and we were already getting $$ from my parents to buy the stroller.  Didn't deter her again.  Here's the other thing:  I'm not sure I want the Phil & Ted.  I was planning to go test out the BOB, Phil & Ted and Jane Powertrain, among others, to see which would be the best choice, so haven't settled on one in particular. 

I figured I'd advance our plans to go test strollers and get that done this weekend so if I don't want the Phil & Ted, I'd probably just tell her that and that my mom is buying the other and hopefully that will end that.  But if I do decide on that one, I don't know how to handle it because she goes through a buyer to get it near wholesale price.  Any other advice as to how to deal with this situation?  I don't mean to sound ungrateful and I realize I can't control her spending but just feel bad for her spending so much money like that when she already does so much for us and has a plethora of other uses for the funds.  TIA!!!!

DD -- 5YO
DS -- 3YO

Re: Sprinkle/gift drama -- sort of

• Options

your neighbors sound like really nice good hearted people.  I would honestly sit her down and talk to her and let her know how I feel without offending her(not to say that you would).  Tell her your mom is buying you the stroller and let her know she doesn't need to buy you anything extravagant but you appreciate the thought and would rather take her up on babysitting?  She probably wants to feel a part of the birth of your baby and that's why she's doing this not sure. 

I def know where you're comming from, I didn't want anyone throwing me a babyshower because of the economy, and not knowing what everyone's finances are like cause I know it's hard.  I am having my surprise shower this sat and grateful to know people pulled this off for me.

Hope all goes well.  btw your dd is so cute, and the cat is adorable!

• Options

I so know how you feel! I have a friend, N,  who threw me a shower at the Brown Palace for DD, and now wants to throw me another one for DS. I told her it wasn't appropriate, so now she's insisting on doing something after the baby's born. I have another friend who wanted to host the shower with N for DD, but N took over, so really wants to do something this time around. N also spends a fortune on clothes for DD.

I keep telling my friend no, but have realized that I just need to sit her down and explain that it makes me uncomfortable. I don't know if you can do that with your neighbor. Otherwise, I'd just tell her that your Mom is purchasing a stroller for you, and that what you need from her more than anything is for her just to be there. Can you go and do supper solutions or something together?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    That is so sweet of her!  I'm not very good at this sort of thing either, but if you can find a way to encourage her to help with non-money things like cooking or babysitting, that might be best. 
    You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

I Love the previuos posters suggestion of baby-sitting or maybe helping you out after you give birth.

Just give your neighbor a great big hug, tell her how much you love & appreciate her offer, but this would make you so much happier!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"