Special Needs

Any pre/post-op surgery tips and advice?

My DS will be having skull surgery in one month. He will be in the ICU for 2 days, then in the hospital for 3 more days. I'm very nervous! Do you have any advice or tips you found helpful during your lo's time in the hospital?

Re: Any pre/post-op surgery tips and advice?

• KRTKRT member

Bring any type of lovey, stuffed animal, etc that he is attached to.  I do not know what the IV situation will be like, etc. but bring jammies that will be comfortable for him and allow the right access, etc.  The gowns they tried to give DD at that age were more for a 2 year old and did not fit whatsoever.  She might as well have been naked. 

Befriend your nurses!  They are your best ally during all of this.  They run the hospital, not the doctors.  The doctors only drop in! 

Find out what the protocol is for going under, etc.  Sometimes and depending on the situation they will let you be with your LO while s/he goes under and as s/he wakes up so you are the last/first person they see. 

They will provide diapers/wipes but I brought in my own formula b/c the hospital did not have what DD was on at the time.  I also brought bottles.  I would recommend bringing a small bottle of dish detergent to wash the bottles with...I didn't think of that at the time. 

Hope that helps.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • First of all, I've been there too many times.  I am so sorry you have to go through this.

Keep in mind that the surgeons, nurses, anesthesiologits, and everyone else in the room has your son's health and safety in mind.  They will take very good care of him!  

I second the befriending nurses!  You will love some and hate some but they will be your best support. 

Take something for you to do because your DS is probably going to be sleeping for quite a while after the surgery. 

Your beautiful little boy might be clingy for a while after recovering and going home.  Just be supportive and realize that it will pass.

My son has been through more surgeries than I care to count and it never gets any easier!  My biggest struggle is not crying in front of him before he goes in.  He is at an age now that he understands what is going on and he is already very scared without seeing that Mommy is scared, too.  Try to get the nurses to be friendly with you so that your DS gains their trust.  One nurse that did this had the easiest time ever getting Drake to go with her into surgery!

Best of luck!  Please keep us posted!

• Loading the player...
  • Best of luck to all of you. Don't be afraid to ask questions, even about things that were just explained to you. Everyone realizes that you get a lot of information and it is a stressful time so you might forgot/not understand all the details the first time (or two).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagePDX:
    Best of luck to all of you. Don't be afraid to ask questions, even about things that were just explained to you. Everyone realizes that you get a lot of information and it is a stressful time so you might forgot/not understand all the details the first time (or two).

Ditto this, I even asked the surgeon to draw me a picture.

Also, during recovery, one nurse suggested that I get in the crib with my son. She said they would help me get around all the tubes and wires. I thought she was kidding or something - and one of my biggest regrets is that I didn't take her up on it. He had a really hard recovery with his second surgery, and we tried everything, including lots of morphine to help him. The only thing that worked was when I finally held him. (After his first surgery a nurse told me NOT to hold him because it would stimulate him and he needed to rest.)

Don't be afraid or hesisitant to hold your child or even crawl in bed with them. You are the biggest comfort to him.

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"