Georgia Babies

Childbirth Classes

Does anyone know of any places that offer classes besides the hospitals? I found a pamphlet for Baby Steps at BRU, and I like their philosophy, but I can't commit to the same time every week for 7 weeks (the life of an RN). I want info on everything, and would prefer not to go to a class that preaches one way as the only way to do something.

Specific topics I'm looking for:

Breastfeeding (especially pumping for work)

Childbirth in general (mostly for DH, I studied it a lot in nursing school and went to several births (even cut a cord as a paramedic for one birthed on a toilet at home - was an awesome experience, poor mom!)

Alternatives to medication in labor (although I am open to it as an option, I would prefer to avoid it)

Daddy Bootcamp (this can be at a hospital, but DH definitely needs some "man time" - if anyone wants to volunteer their hubby and kid, I'm up for that too Wink

We already know we need to do the Northside tour b/c DH has only been there twice (and once was only the ER with me), and I have only been 2 times (besides the ER) to visit people...so we're clueless.

TIA!

The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)

Re: Childbirth Classes

• I'll let you borrow my dh and son! He's only taken him to the car wash LOL!

I don't have info on classes b/c I never took any. I would have been doing it for DH and he wasn't into it. I got the epi and had a c/s in the end DH was just along for the ride at that point.

Someone did tell me there is a great FREE breastfeeding class at piedmont so check that out.  

Colin Patrick-7/14/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I took a Childbirth Class thru my Dr's office.  One of the L&D nurses at Kennestone taught it.  It was once a week for 3 weeks.  I wanted to take it mainly for DH- b/c he was so clueless.  I thought it was a great class.  No pressure to do it one way or the other, just facts, and tips/tricks for breathing and relaxing.  We ended up going straight for the c-section so I didn't get to use any of that stuff, but it was good for DH to see it all and know what to expect.

I took a Breastfeeding Class at Piedmont.  It was really good.  I took it the week before he was born so that was perfect everything was so fresh in my mind.  I also read the book "So That's What They're For" and it prepared me more than anything else.  Make sure you see a LC while you are at the hospital- they are so helpful.

DH took the Daddy Bootcamp class at Kennestone and thought it was great.  He even went back with Gavin later as one of the "real life examples."  He got a t-shirt for that :-)

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks! I think there needs to be some kind of class for people who work in healthcare entitled, "How to be a patient". My biggest problem is that people either expect me to know everything or be completely ignorant when it comes to this whole process - and I consider myself somewhere in the middle. I know the mechanics, but nothing else. I haven't the slightest idea how to be on the other side of the situation, and DH is freaked out, and I'm honestly not sure how to help him. He told me last night that he will stay calm if everyone else is calm, and I tried to reassure him that MOST of the time, everyone is calm, but when people start rushing around there is actually something to rush for, and it's ok to be scared. He even told me if he passes out that I have his permission to reach down to the floor and squeeze his hand anyway.
    The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)
  • I've heard good things about the "daddy bootcamp" at Northside, but your DH can come over to our house in about ten weeks and play with the newborn AND the almost-one-year-old.  Two for one deal! Wink 

I also liked the two classes I took at Piedmont.  One was the free BFing class (one Saturday morning), although I felt like I could have learned most of it from a book.  You could also find an independent LC here in Atlanta and see if she'd be willing to do a private class with you to talk about your specific concerns and issues, but that would probably be most worthwhile in the postpartum period.

The other Piedmont class we took was the prepared childbirth class (one full Saturday), and we both thought it was beneficial.  They talked about almost everything that could happen in childbirth and presented both medicated and nonmedicated options without bias.  I also loved The Birth Book by Dr. Sears for an open and nonjudgmental view of pain management options in childbirth.  Most of the classes that I could find outside the hospitals were method-specific and tended (I felt) to paint any and all medication as BAD.  Like you, I wanted to avoid it, but I also wanted to remain open and not feel like an awful failure if I wasn't able to have a 100% unmedicated birth.

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • We had signed up for the Northside tour, but I ended up going into labor early and was on bedrest during our scheduled tour, not that I really needed it by then anyway since I had already been in and out of L&D ICU.

We did take the massage for pregnancy and labor class at Northside, and I highly recommend that, especially when you are early in the 3rd trimester.  It was so great for DH to learn the different massage techniques, plus, the class is about 3 hours, so you basically get a free 3 hour massage.

We didnt take any of the childbirth classes.  I had heard most of them were pointless, so we didn't bother.  It wouldnt have mattered for us anyway, I labored for 12 hours and ended up having an ER C-section.

• I was just about to ask about the massage class....we are definitely taking that one! I have sciatica problems, and have been constantly nagging DH to just push on my pelvis where the nerve is. My pelvis got misalligned in an EMT school accident (I got dropped, basically). I'm really hoping it doesn't become a problem and cause me to have a CS.......gotta add that to my list of questions for next visit....I keep forgetting to write them down.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"