Indiana Babies

PSA for BFers/soon-to-be BFers in Indy

Just wanted to highly recommend a group I attended yesterday at Community North hospital. It is a very informal group of BF moms and babies, some of who are having issues and some of whom just like the socialization, along with several certified LCs. It is actually broken up into 2 groups - babies under 4 months and over 4 months. The LCs are there to answer questions and provide assistance/troubleshoot. The best part is that it is totally FREE, and you don't have to have any affiliation with/have delivered there (I didn't). Yesterday there were about 30 moms/babies in the under 4mo. room!  Basically everyone introduces themselves and states any issues they are having, then other people can offer advice/suggestions/commiseration. Moms just whip the boob out whenever their baby is hungry and feed, and the LCs walk around to help whomever needs it.

What I really like is that they have a scale, so you can weigh your baby before and after feeding and find out how much they are taking at a time. Joss weighed 10lbs8oz before eating and 10lb14oz after! That means she took a whopping 6 oz from the boob! She was super hungry because she had a cardiology appt. that morning that messed up her schedule, but good lord lady - no wonder she's pissed when I give her a measly 3.5oz bottle of EBM!

Anyway, it was awesome to get suggestions from other moms who've "been there" and to talk to the LCs for free - one of them spent 20 min. with just Joss and I. That group meets on Tuesdays at 10:30 but I believe there are also other meeting times if you check the hospital's website. Even if you don't live in Indy, I would highly recommend seeking out a similar support group, even if it's just to get out of the house and socialize with other moms and babies!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: PSA for BFers/soon-to-be BFers in Indy

• Wow - that sounds like an awesome resource! AND it's good to hear about moms that don't have qualms about feeding their baby around others... it makes me so mad when people say they won't breastfeed because they don't want to have to go to another room or whatever when the baby is hungry. Gimme a break.

ANYhow. 

I wonder if the hospital close to me offers something like that. I'll have to research it Smile

• A friend of mine told me about this same group.  She attended several times with her first child.  I delivered at Comm North and never knew about it until later.  I will definitely be sure to use this resource with my next little one!  I'm so glad you were able to go and get a lot of useful information (and what a little piggy you have on your hands!) Wink

• Loading the player...
  • I delivered at Carmel St. V and they have the same group!  I loved it and met so many moms who I became friends with.  It really is a great resource and it is fun to use the scale:)  In my group there were so many different ages of babies all the way up to eight months! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"