Baby Showers
Options

Co-ed Cookout/baby shower

My MIL is "planning" the baby shower ... she's hosting but I dont know how much planning she's actually doing.  We want the baby shower to be co-ed both families and friends and be outside.  I dont want the burden of all the food expense and prep to be on MIL, but other than asking family to bring dishes like we always do at large family dinners, I'm a bit lost at how to go about keeping costs low.  I'm not thrilled about having family to bring food to a baby shower it seems rude to me.  Thoughts/ideas on menu options or other ideas would be great!  Thanks  =) 

Re: Co-ed Cookout/baby shower

• Options
    What about just hot dogs and burgers? For sides you could have things like chips, potato salad, baked beans, etc. You can feed a lot of people without spending too much if you just keep it low key like that :)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Ditto Rach.

Another thought, though - a couple 4th of July's ago, we used a Mexican place (Salsarita's, in case its in your area too) to cater our party.  It was surprisingly inexpensive for what we got.  For the fact that it saved us the set up and clean up - we felt the added cost was worth it.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageRach03k:
    What about just hot dogs and burgers? For sides you could have things like chips, potato salad, baked beans, etc. You can feed a lot of people without spending too much if you just keep it low key like that :)
  • Options

imageRach03k:

I totally agree with this...

• Options
    imageEastCoastBride:

Ditto Rach.

Another thought, though - a couple 4th of July's ago, we used a Mexican place (Salsarita's, in case its in your area too) to cater our party.  It was surprisingly inexpensive for what we got.  For the fact that it saved us the set up and clean up - we felt the added cost was worth it.

I agree with checking around particularly with Mexican food places b/c you can get a lot of enchiladas for cheap usually.

Or would another family member maybe be willing to help even if only in the sense of doing the grilling at the party if you did hot dogs/hamburgers? Your mom could enlist cousins/aunts/uncles to help not with money but with their time for either cooking or some clean-up.

• Options

One of our showers is a co-ed BBQ as well.  We're just doing burgers, brats, and hot dogs.  I've had a lot of people offer to bring a side.  So that's awesome.  But we're going to costco to get most of our stuff.  Keep it simple.  People are there for you, not the food.

• Options

Ditto the others, another idea is pulled pork with sides if you happen to live in an area where that is popular- we do that for our July 4 bbq every year so we don't have to spend a ton of time over a hot grill. It isn't terribly expensive. maybe you could see if some close family (like siblings or aunts/uncles or close friends of family) would be up for bringing a side or app, that way it is the family all helping out to throw the shower & you're not asking guests to bring a dish, which definitely would be tacky.

GL!

• Options

Generally speaking you can't ask for food AND gifts.

There are ways of keeping the food prices low. Maybe your mom can see if a few aunts/cousins will help to host the party (instead of doing gifts). BBQ's are great for large amounts of chicken, corn on the cob and potato salad.

Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing at all. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"