North Carolina Babies
Options

When do you use your freezer stash?

Since I EP I've built up quite a stash.  I keep pumping fresh so I'm not sure when I'd ever use it.  My plan had been to pump for 6 months and then spend the next 6 months using what I have saved in the freezer.  I don't know how realistic this is though.  I'm freezing approximately 30 ounces a day.

Re: When do you use your freezer stash?

• Options

I used mine when we went out, etc. ?I had a stash, but never that big. ?Also, when I went back to work, I wasn't able to keep my supply up, so we supplemented a bit each day.

I don't know if it is realistic to have a 6 months stash though - that is like 5500 ounces and even in 8 ounce bags, that is almost 700 bags. ?

You would definitely need a deep freezer (and possibly more than one)? ?It is only good for 3 months in a normal freezer and I can't remember how long in a deep freezer (either 6 or 12), so you would have to make sure to have a deep freezer and then use it FIFO.

?

• Options

i used mine in oatmeal, when henry first started to eat food.

henry never took a bottle, but that was my original intent Smile

• Loading the player...
  • Options

What kind of freezer are you using, because you're only supposed to keep it in a fridge freezer for 3mo. That's part of why I donated my stash to that little boy that lost his mother. It was about to go bad, and I was able to provide fresh still for Katie. I have had to pull out 3-4 bags in the last month for various reasons, but in June, I"m going to have more milk expiring. I may unfreeze some and rotate my stock for a bit. That's a tough call, because obviously fresh is the best, but you spent so much time building a stash. I've also heard tht the milk is geared for what the baby needs at that time, so I don't know what you're supposed to do with 3mo old milk. OK, I'm rambling now, aren't I?!

I think you will be surprised how quickly that stash will disappear. I needed 3 bags the other day to send to school with Katie.

Are you freezing 30 oz in addition to what you're feeding the baby?

Katie, Duke Gardens, 6months

ry%3D400

Zach, Duke Gardens, 6months

ry%3D400

Photo courtesy from the amazing Ever You Photography!

• Options
    Makes sense.  We have a deep freezer and I think the storage time is 6 months.  Ugh I was hoping to stop pumping sooner rather than later.  Maybe I could get by with three to four pumps a day in the future.
  • Options

If I were you, I'd do a little spreadsheet to figure out how much you'd need saved in the freezer to stop pumping at 6 months.  It's REALLY hard to know though, because the needs of each baby is so child-specific. 

What I do for DS is use a FIFO method, like Evans was mentioning.  I used the schedule using fresh milk on Tuesday through Friday, then freezing Friday's milk to go in the stash and using frozen milk on Monday.  That way I cycled through the freezer stash.  However, it was just the past month or so that I was using milk that was within 3 months of when I pumped it.  I have a huge deep freezer and I had a lot of plastic containers to organize my milk, so it worked out well.

• Options
    I think that milk is good for longer than 6 months in a deep freezer.  I think it's closer to 12.  I definitely used milk that was over 6 months old in our deep freezer and it was fine.
  • Options

Thanks you guys.  We have a freezer only deep freezer.  I think the milk should be good for 6 months at a time in there.  I understand that I would have to probably use the oldest frozen milk to keep it from expiring while continuing to freeze fresh milk.

I am freezing 30 ounces in addition to what I feed fresh. I'm pumping about 60 ounces a day and he's eating 6 four ounce bottles a day (sometimes he takes a few more ounces so I put 2 ounce "snack" bottles in the fridge).

The spreadsheet is an awesome idea and I can also use it to track how many ounces I'll have expiring on which days. 

MrsG give me some information on milk donation.  I'd love to donate.

• Options
    I don't know, but I just want to say how amazing it is that you can pump enough to freeze 30 oz a day!  I was never able to build up any kind of freezer stash because I would need it within weeks of freezing it.  I only EP'ed for 2 months, and was able to provide Eli with BM for another month, and that was it!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    How many times a day are you pumping? 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

My Sweet Girls

• Options

imageWendyNC:
    How many times a day are you pumping? 

It feels like a million but 7 times a day.  I pump every 3 hours except overnight when I skip a pump to get some sleep.

• Options
    What about cutting out a pump or two and possibly pumping beyond 6 months if you needed to?  I'm sure it's not fun to be strapped to a pump every 3 hours.  Just a thought, but I'm not sure if it would mess up your supply or something. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

My Sweet Girls

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"