North Carolina Babies
Options

Bottle to sippy transition?

I know this has been asked a lot, but I didn't pay much attention...  :P  I am working on transitioning DS over to whole milk, but so far it's been kind of weird.  I have been sending him to daycare with a sippy of milk and he has been finishing it... but he is ALSO finishing his bottles AND all of his breakfast, lunch and snack at daycare.  LOL  I thought that when he started milk, he might be less interested in his bottles, but that hasn't been the case.

They report that he doesn't "ask" for a bottle anymore, but he is obviously not disinterested in them, since he's finishing them.  I have reduced his bottles by 2 oz (total, so he's getting 8 oz instead of 10) this week, to compensate for the whole milk.

My original plan had been to mix milk in with the BM in his bottles, but when we gave him whole milk in a sippy he drank it without a problem, so I figured there was no reason to go that route. 

Should I just drop a bottle at daycare and have them replace it with a sippy of milk to see what happens?  Any other ideas? 

Re: Bottle to sippy transition?

• Options

We didn't add sippies of milk to his diet, we replaced bottles of formula.  So he went from getting 4 bottles a day to 4 sippies a day.  Eli would still finish a bottle if I offered it to him!  And we also moved his milk to his eating times, whereas he was getting bottles inbetween meals. 

Per my pedi, we never mixed milk with formula (or BM).  We never put formula in a sippy, and never put milk in a bottle.

And there is such a thing as too much milk, so ask your pedi how much he should get per day.  I was giving Eli too much at first.  Nate should be getting all of his nutrition from his food now.  I was told 16-20 oz a day of milk max.  Otherwise offer water or juice.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

That's what I was thinking, Mikey.  I was thinking of just "casually" introducing milk these first few days, so he just gets some so that he's used to the taste. 

Tomorrow I'll try to drop a bottle and see what he thinks. 

How much juice do you do at daycare?  Do they dilute it?  I'm pretty anti-juice and DS loves plain water, so I don't see the point if he'll drink water without any flavoring.  But the daycare sheet I received about the next room mentioned that they get "juice or milk" and doesn't mention water.  I imagine that I can skip the juice if that's what I want, but I haven't talked ot them about it yet.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

We dropped one bottle/week, so it was a 4 week transition.  But we started at 11 months.  I thought it was going to be really hard and confusing, but it went really well!  I think I had more issues with letting go of the bottle than Eli did :)

I would prefer Eli not have juice either.  But since he has to have his liquids thickened, he gets diluted juice, because thickened water is nasty!  At daycare the offer milk with breakfast and lunch, juice with one snack and water with the other.  Since I still have to take his fluids in, I don't have to worry about it.  But I'm 100% sure they would give him whatever I asked.  And I know there's another mom that asked to have her DD's juice diluted.  I would just ask, but I'm sure it won't be a problem.  But at least the juice they offer is 100% fruit juice.  We use Mott's for Tots at home, it's already diluted with purified water (says so right on the label), and then I dilute it by half again.  So he's really only getting a tiny amount of actual juice.

• Options
    imageECUGirl2004:

How much juice do you do at daycare?? Do they dilute it?? I'm pretty anti-juice and DS loves plain water, so I don't see the point if he'll drink water without any flavoring.? But the daycare sheet I received about the next room mentioned that they get "juice or milk" and doesn't mention water.? I imagine that I can skip the juice if that's what I want, but I haven't talked ot them about it yet.

I agree with how mikey did it, that is what we did.

As for juice at daycare, I told them to offer her water instead and they are fine with that. ?She doesn't get any juice. ?If it is not milk time and she is thirsty, she gets water (even if the other kids get more milk or juice). ?I would think they wouldn't have a problem with that if you just asked.

• Options
    Thanks for all the milk & juice info.  Nate starts transitioning to the next room at daycare next week, so I'll talk to his teachers in there about juice & stuff before he makes the move.  Work stuff should be calmer by then too so I'll actually have a little time to think it out.
  • Options
    GL!  I hope he does well with the transition!  I was worried about Eli moving to the toddler room, especially since he's not walking, but he did great!  Will Nate be sleeping on the floor now too?  That was the thing I was most worried about, but no problems!

• Options
    Yes, they sleep on mats on the floor.  I'm curious about how he'll do.  I imagine it's very tempting to get up and play sometimes!  I really wish I could take an hour to observe in the room before he moves over there.  Maybe I can find some time next week.
  • Options
    That's so cute!  I can't believe how big he's getting.  It's amazing what they can do.  I've had to pick Eli up for appts during nap time, and they're just all laid out on the floor sleeping!  I guess it's peer pressure.  I think they're just so worn out by naptime they don't care.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"