Adoption
Options

HTT: Education

Poll!

Did you or you husband attend public or private/boarding school?

How much college do you and your husband have?

What are your plans for your children?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: HTT: Education

• Options

I went to public, he went to private catholic from pre-school until college.

I have a bachelors with multiple associates/minors (it's amazing, when you switch your major a million times you end up with all of these odd credits that miraculously add up to minors/specializations/and associates)

Husband has a masters.

Our children will be either homeschooled, Montessori, or some form of  baccalaureate. Our early intention is to get a basis for being multilingual, and enthusiastic about learning encouraged. To be honest, until NCLB is reversed I do not want my children going to public school.

• Options

We both went to public school.

I went to a small private christian liberal arts college and DH didn't go.

We are planning to start our children in public school, but if for some reason they aren't comfortable there we will put them in our church's school.  I would really love for them to go to my same college, but I am trying to brace myself for the fact that they may want to go somewhere else.  Who can blame me?  It is small, safe, and 40 minutes from our home ;)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Did you or you husband attend public or private/boarding school? We both attended public schools, but I attended Catholic school for K-8.

How much college do you and your husband have? We both have Master's degrees.

What are your plans for your children? We are both public school teachers so we plan to send them to public school.

Photobucket My Favorite Part of Spring~Red Sox Baseball!
  • Options

I went to public school, my husband went to both public and private catholic school.  I have a BS, my husband has a BA, EMPA, and is working on his PhD.  Education is really important to us.  However, education does not have to be limited to book learning...if my child wanted to focus on a trade such as plumbing (like my dad and brother), mechanics, etc I have no problem with that and will encourage wherever their passion lies. 

I can't say which type of school I would send my child to, it will depend on the personality and learning ability of the child.  I thrived in public school, but in hindsight my brother would have done much better home schooled or in an alternative education program (he did so much better doing rather than seeing and public school ended up putting him in the "disruptive child" box which made him just hate school). 

• Options

DH public, me mix of private and public

DH MEd, me PhD

We will assess the quality/feasibility of public vs private schools when we get to that stage. For all we know, we may living somewhere else at that point anyway. Then we'll make the best choice for our child.

We have college funds set aside for 2 hypothetical children, but want them to be happy in their chosen profession. If that's auto mechanic, cosmetologist, CPA, rocket scientist, or whatever, more power to them.

• Options

School:
    DH: Attended private catholic schools from K to College. 
    ME Attended catholic private school until middle school and then public school from middle school until college.

College:
    DH: BA in Computer Science and a BA in Math
          MA in Computer Science. 
    Me: BA in Psychology and Human Development/Family Studies
          MA in Professional Counseling and an MA in School Counseling

Plans for Children:

We will discuss that when we have children arrive in our home. Ideally we'd like to put them in private school, but if they have  learning disability or something that would benefit from being in public school we might go that route.  We don't have any concrete plans as of right now.

• Options
    Did you or you husband attend public or private/boarding school? Public school for me, DH went to a private Catholic school when he was a child in Pakistan (up to age 8) and then public school when they moved to Arizona.How much college do you and your husband have? I have a BA, DH has an MBA, a Masters in Education and a teaching credential.What are your plans for your children? Public school. Our house buying plans revolve completely around finding a great school district.?
  • Options

Public both of us.

DH: Associates but wants to go back to get Bach degree. Me: About to start MA program and then hopefully PhD or PsyD.

?

I'm not sure where the kid will go. I guess depending on where we end up that will play a role, and what our kid is like. I'm not locking myself down now with the hypothetical child.

MH was in the Navy so that could be an option for them, although it's not my favorite option for them (or I would prefer academy quite frankly), and I am open to them going to trade school all the way to Harvard if that suits them. ?

• Options

public for both DH and I

Bachelor's degrees for both

Our DS's will go to private schools and we will pay in full for college/grad school/etc

Stay at Home Mama to 3 Beautiful Children by the miracles of Birth & Adoption
  • Options

DH-oublic school attended college (didn't graduate)

Me- public school, then 4 year degree, then teaching certification, then Master's and ED.S degree in education.

Ben is going to attend a private Christian School.  Even though I'm a public school teacher, I want Ben to have a private education where it's more individualized.

• Options

DH attended all public schools from K through B.A. (private for law school).

I was in public from K-7th, private from 7-8th, public magnet school for high school, private college for B.A. and public university for J.D.

How much college do you and your husband have?

We both have J.D.s

What are your plans for your children?

Public all the way. We both believe it is important to support your public school system. If all parents "who care" put their kids in private/home school/etc, what happens to the quality of education for those kids whose parents play a less active roll in their education?

• Options

Did you or you husband attend public or private/boarding school? Both Public schools

How much college do you and your husband have? I did not finish my degree, my husband has a bachelors degree.

What are your plans for your children? TO NOT PUSH!!  I was pushed to go to a 4 year since my father is Vice President of a University.  I went to school and LOST myself completely.  I was not there for me so I went and partied my tail off....blowing my parents money daily.  My DH paid for half of his schooling and worked very hard, since he had an invested interest.  Our children will go to public school unless they are struggling then we will cross that bridge when it comes.  We will probably also not give them a free ride to a 4 year.  So they have a ball in the game so to speak.

• Options

We went to public school. We both are college educated, and am I working on additional degrees.

I think public schools have changed a lot since 'our day'. And, because we live in a more affluent area the public schools, while they are excellent, are also not racially diverse. However, private schools do tend to be more diverse. So we plan to have our children in private school. We will not change our school district to a poorer district for the sake of diversity - which was a point we had to make during our home study.  

• Options

We both did public school all the way through high school.  I have my BS and a few assorted grad level classes.  DH has another year and a half until he finishes his BA. 

My plan for now is to live somewhere with good public schools so that our kids will go there.  If that doesn't work out then we will assess other options, but I would prefer public school all the way.  I don't think that home schooling would be an option for us as i don't think either DH or I would excel in that environment- so we coudn't help our child excel either. 

• Options

DH: private catholic school k-8, then public.  Bachelor's degree.

me: public all the way.  Bachelor's degree.

kids:  We live in a small town that does not have a catholic school (which would be our ideal), but the public school system here is a good one.  We will probably help a little with college (if that's what they choose to do), but the majority of the financial responsibility will be theirs.

• Options

I attended private school and public school. My parents shelled out the money for tuition when we lived in Baltimore City because I was correcting my teacher's spelling in second grade. DH attended public school.

DH and I both have Bachelor's Degrees.

I plan to send my children to public school because we live in an excellent district.  As far as college goes, that is up to the kids. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options

We attended public school through high school.  I went to college at a large state university.  DH went to a small, private college.  We both have college degrees.

We are fortunate to live in an area that has excellent public schools (based on standardized testing and reputation) - probably better than we went to ourselves.  We also have a lot of choices for private school, too.

I will definitely push early education (preschool at 3, kindergarten by 5 if appropriate) and try to pick a school that best meets my kid's needs.  If the public school doesn't, I won't hesitate to go private.  I don't see homeschooling as an option for us at this point.

I'd love for my child to go to college and I WILL pay for it - our college degrees were two of the most precious gifts given to us by our parents.  That being said, I won't pay for D's and F's - college is your job from 18-22ish and I expect you to get an education - not drink and party on my dime.  If you want to do that, pay for it yourself.

If college isn't an option, then I just want my kid to be happy and self-sufficient (whatever form that takes).

2 years TTC with 5 losses, 1 year recovering, 6 months applying for adoption approval, and almost a year waiting for a placement. Then, a miracle BFP at age 36!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

ME-  Public K-8, Jesuit University for BA, and currently working on Masters

DH-  Catholic K-8, Jesuit (Catholic) all boys school for HS, Public University BA and teaching credential, working on Masters at my University (he remains loyal to his...I love mine...and I think he'll learn to as he works on his Masters)

Children-  Catholic K-8, single gendered Catholic or Jesuit HS.  This is one thing we both feel provides a better education.  We are lucky to have several single gender schools in our area.  DH dreams that he'll send a son to his HS alma mater....we'll see! :)

image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months
  • Options
    imageshreksfiona:

my brother would have done much better home schooled or in an alternative education program (he did so much better doing rather than seeing and public school ended up putting him in the "disruptive child" box which made him just hate school). 

This makes me sad. 

• Options

I feel I should add that, while I don't agree with NCLB and I feel that it's lef to a lot of underfunding, I have a lot of respect for both public teachers and the public school system. In a lot of cases, I feel public school teachers should get Combat Pay.

Husband and I have made the choice we made because we plan on moving a lot. His company has offices literally all over the world and I feel that it would be to our detriment not to take advantage of that. So home school/Montessori/bacc (or l'ecole) have international curriculums that translate. Because if we move countries, I don't want our children to feel like they suddenly can't keep up with their education, but I also don't want them to be in the American School in every country. However, that could all change as the children get older and their talents emerge. 

As for college? That's not my decision. We will prepare to help them financially in whatever direction they choose to go (bank robbing, serial killing, embezzling, piracy will NOT be supported...they just don't have good health plans) so they don't feel like they can't follow their dreams because they can't afford it.

• Options

We both went to parochial schools through h.s.

I have a Masters in special ed and reading.

My husband just finished his MBA.

We're keeping our options open for our children.  I believe in public education, and we have excellent schools in our area.  But I love the smaller, more individualized attention at a private school.  Our baby-to-be will be 1/2 hispanic, so we're going to have to see what kind of diversity the private schools in our are offer.  If we go that route, we will have to get on the wait list within months of his birth!

• Options

Did you or you husband attend public or private/boarding school? Public schooll for us both.

How much college do you and your husband have? We both attended Art School.

What are your plans for your children? She's in a charter school that focuses on a "high performance" education while also stressing the arts. Perfect for her!

BB&J

• Options

Both went to public schools until college. ?I went private for college and grad school. ?DH was at a public college and private grad school.

How much college do you and your husband have? ?4 years post college.

What are your plans for your children? We live in a very highly ranked public school system, though I am a bit concerned about how huge it is. ?It also has at least 3 excellent private schools. ?We still haven't decided where they'll go. ?
  • Options

I went to public school.  My husband went to Catholic school K-12.

We both have MBAs

We live in the top rated public school system in our state.  We plan to send him to public school K-8.  We will potentially send him to a private Jesuit high school, but we will make that decision in about 13 years. :)

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"