Orange County Babies

I'm so jazzed -- sweet deal on a rocker and ottoman!

Hi folks!

I'm (relatively) new to posting to the boards (more of a lurker), but I'm SO jazzed about the steal I made on a rocker/ottoman for our nursery, I wanted to pass it along.

Originally, I wanted a Pottery Barn EcoGlider, which retails over $1000! DH wasn't having any of it -- said I needed to figure out another alternative. So, I got creative and called around for upholstery people. I found a great guy, Don, from Pearce Upholstery in Costa Mesa, who said he would turn my chair into a swivel rocker for $100-150. I ended up purchasing an Ektorp armchair from IKEA for $220 and the matching Ektorp Bromma footstool (complete with storage!) for $80. The Blekinge White slipcovers were an additional $30 and $20, respectively. Don charged me $108.75 for the rocker mechanism. So, for a grand total of $450, I got a rocker and ottoman! Coolest thing about it? If we decide to have another kid with a different scheme in his/her room, we just purchase another slipcover. After kidlets are through with the chair, it's perfect for our living room -- again, we buy a new slipcover (and we can even remove the rocker mechanism!).

Per the durability of the furniture, we've owned the same IKEA set for almost 8 years. The sofa's getting a little ragged, but the chair and ottoman are superb! No slippage of the cushions, and the storage ottoman is sweet!

Two things: 1) I know the Ektorp had enough room underneath -- not sure about other chairs -- but call Don at Pearce Upholstery to find out if he can do it!  2) This is not a glider; it's a rocker. I checked with Don about the possibility, and he said most gliders need to be constructed from the ground up!

Finally, if you don't like the white slipcover, I get it! There are several companies online that offer dying options for your slipcovers, including Dharma Trading Company. You can do this in your washing machine -- just follow the directions on the Web site (RIT dye is not recommended -- don't know why, just what others say online!).

Good luck!!!
Lori =)

Re: I'm so jazzed -- sweet deal on a rocker and ottoman!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"