Working Moms
Options

Bosses knock before entering?

Is it just me, or would you think it would be normal for a boss to knock before just walking into your office?

I have a sign on my doorknob (like the ones at the hotel) that says do not enter, pumping - but it is partially obscured by where the door is when looking at the door from a distance (but perfectly visible when you are right by it).  Unfortunately, I forgot my key - I totally know this part is my bad.

But wouldn't you think even a boss would knock at a shut door? Or at least pause long enough to see the do not enter sign?

Awkward.   

Re: Bosses knock before entering?

• Options

This is definitely a fear of mine - that someone will not notice the Do Not Disturb sign right next to where you put your key to unlock my office door and will just go ahead and open it. We all have keys that work for each other's offices, and while I always knock, sometimes others don't.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    IMO - Everyone should knock when they come to a closed door.  I'm always amazed that not everyone agrees with this!  Surprise

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageluvmagoldn:
    IMO - Everyone should knock when they come to a closed door.  I'm always amazed that not everyone agrees with this!  Surprise

Agreed!  If it's a problem, could you send an e-mail to chronic offenders telling them that you are unavailable for the next 10 minutes or whatever?

• Options

I have signs all over the door...one is on a hot pink peice of paper, right in the middle of the door that says "If this door is closed DO NOT ENTER. Pumping in progress"  This is enough to scare everyone away.  If I was nervous, I'd put my chair in front of the door.

• Options
    PS, the pink paper is 11 x 17 hehe!
  • Options
    Let me amend...everyone should knock and then wait for a response.  We have a VP who knocks while turning the door knob!

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Options

This irritates me to no end. I would NEVER just open someone's office door.  I have a lock on my door, but I am amazed at how many people knock and then when I don't answer, turn the handle to try to come in.  It's incredibly rude.  We have frosted windows that I can see out of (but people can't see in) so I know who the worst offenders are. 

My boss is reasonably good about it, but he does press his butt cheeks up against the frosted windows when I'm pumping (we're super professional here). He thinks this is hysterical... I must admit... his idiocy makes me laugh. 

• Options
    PeskyPesky member
    My boss always knocks before entering my office.  It's just plain good manners.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options

Knocking is really the polite thing to do.  But I've come to the realization that I work with a bunch of impolite people.  I am the boss where I work and have my own office with a lockable door.  I can't tell you how many times I will hear someone come to my door, knock then immediately try to open the closed door.  This is coming from my subordinates trying to get into their bosses locked office. 

It just baffles me that people will not care about trying to invade your privacy. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"