Special Needs
Options

low platelet count ??

I am really nervous. Last week I was at 135 and this week it is 125. I was tolf that below 100 is a danger zone. Anyone taking Super B vitamins in addition to the Prenatal vitamin??

Thanks

Re: low platelet count ??

• Options

How far along are you? Have you had any other symptoms or has your doctor had any other concerns?

I'm asking just because I had HELLP syndrome, one of the definining symptoms is a low platelet count (the LP part of HELLP).  It's related to pre-eclampsia.  Some of the diagnostic tip-offs are high blood pressure and protein in urine.  Other symptoms are bloating and pain in the abdomen.  It happens in the third trimester.

Sorry, I don't mean to scare you or anything, I just wanted to throw that out there because sometimes people miss it.  If your doctor notices anything going on with your blood pressure it might be something to bring up.

Best to you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I clicked on this board by accident...but I saw your post and thought I could help. 

I had low platelet count throughout my entire pregnancy.  I don't know if I'm normally low or if it was pregnancy induced.  We found out about it after my first round of bloodwork when I found out I was pregnanct, then it was repeated a few times in the next couple months to check on it.  Once I was about 4 or 5 months they decided to wait until closer to the end of my pregnancy to check it again, because they said there was nothing for them to do about it.  I was told that only major risk (although it is big) is the chance of excessive bleeding, since the blood won't clot well. 

While in labor, DS was having trouble descending while I was pushing, but a vacuum or forceps could not be used because we didn't know if DS has low platelets as well...if he did, and they used the forceps, it could cause bleeding on the brain. So I had a c-section and had no complications from bleeding or anything.  And DS did not have low platelets.

One of the other effects is your ability to have an epidural...that's where the 100 comes in to play.  I was told that many anesthesiologists won't give the epidural if your numbers are below 100 when you go into labor.  I was told that some will and some won't.  They tested me when I went in and I was at 95...my anesthesiologist told me that it's only really a danger when you get down into the 60's, it can cause bleeding into the spinal canal (not good!)

As long as your numbers don't drastically drop from the 125 you should be alright!  Let me know if you have any other questions...hope this helped.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

ladies- thanks for your help. I go back to the doc tomorrow to get my blood checked again. I am two weeks before my due date thats why I feel I am freakin out so much!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"