D.C. Area Babies
Options

Moving up to the area.... would love some help!

Hi!

My husband and I will be moving up to the area soon and my job is to do some research on housing and such. His job will be a little west of Arlington; however, we are open to anywhere in the north/northwest area. Here is a list of questions I am hoping to find answers to...

What are some nice areas with homes? We are from Texas and like a little land... we're hoping to find a home with at least an acre. We have a chocolate lab we'll be bringing with us that will need some room to run. Are there many new construction neighborhoods? Any nice older homes?

What parks are good to go to? 

Also, we have gym memberships at LA Fitness in Texas.... any suggestions on gyms up there? That's one of the first things I would like to find.

I may be asking questions that are too specific when we don't even know a location. I'm just really in the dark about this area- I was born & raised in Texas and haven't traveled much in my life. (So this is a really excited time!)

Thank you all for helping me out!

Re: Moving up to the area.... would love some help!

• Options

You'll probably want to post on the DC Nest board...

There are a couple good realtors over there - amirsgirl and dawnmichie.  amirsgirl is from Texas, and was a realtor there for a while before moving here... (and may still be licesnsed there?)  so, you might want to contact her for some good insight!

We own a home, but, not in an area with a lot of land... so, I can't really help with that one.  :)  One general thing - you'll probably be able to do better price and land wise West of Arlington, versus Northwest.  But, you'll probably have to go pretty far out.

NestBaby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thanks for the tips! I'll post this one the DC Nest board... if we don't find something with a lot of land, that's fine... It's not a top priority... we live right now in a "cookie cutter" house... so we're use to the small yards.... but we would prefer a little more yard! :-)

Thanks again!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

If you want land, move to Loudoun County. Stone Ridge (my digs!), South Riding, Brambleton and Landsdowne are good neighborhoods (though there are plenty of other perfectly good neighborhoods). Unfortunately, you have to decide whether you want land or less of a drive.

I live in Loudoun (Dulles South area) & commute to DC everyday. I'm used to it. I love my neighborhood - several playgrounds for the children, a ballpark, pond with ducks, pools/baby pool, etc. So for me, I'm willing to do the commute and live in this community.

• Options

Here's a second vote for Loudoun County. You will have a hard time finding the land you are looking for any further in towards DC. We live in Ashburn, albeit in a townhouse, but there are plenty of homes out here with the kind of space you are looking for. It's a great community. My husband commutes to Falls Church every day pretty easily and I go to Centreville, so my commute is next to nothing.

Good luck! It's a great time to buy so I am sure you'll find something! If you are looking for a superb real estate agent, email me and I will recommend ours. She is stellar. vtmezzo @ hotmail

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    i live in fairfax, and we have decent size yards.  also there are houses in springfield that have really large lands as well.  we are in the hickory farms neighborhood, if you want to look into that, there might be a few houses for sales in the neighborhood.  its a great place to live.  you can also try burke centre.  good luck!
  • Options
    oh and there is an awesome dog park in arlington off of four mile run...im not sure the name of it, but its a good mile long and it has water access if your lab swims! 
  • Options
    Welcome!  I am temporarily living in Texas right now, and have to warn you that you are in for some sticker shock.  For what a 5 br/4ba single family home in Plano costs (w/ pool, media room, granite counters, the works), we bought a 3 br/2.5 ba townhouse in Reston.  That's not an entirely fair comparison since we bought the TH in 2006, but it's not that far off, even in this economy.   However, I can't wait to get back to DC.  I think the pluses outweigh the minuses.  :-)
  • Options

imagetrieuIam:
    oh and there is an awesome dog park in arlington off of four mile run...im not sure the name of it, but its a good mile long and it has water access if your lab swims! 

I think you're referencing the dog park in Shirlington, off of the Shirlington exit on 395.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"