South Florida Babies
Options

Failed IUD ...nuvaring anyone???

Hey ladies, I went for my IUD yesterday and man it does hurt but after getting the measurement twice (which hurt like hell) my uterus has not shrunk down to normal it's probably still shrinking....although it's been 8 weeks. anyway in the meantime my ob suggested Nuva ring has anyone tried that? these things only happen to me but I DO NOT WANT ANY MORE CHILDREN!!!! well I do but love kids and hope to one day adopt but will not get pg again EVER! too many complications during pg and now with julian and his hirschsprungs I think it would be selfish to try again.

xoxo

Re: Failed IUD ...nuvaring anyone???

• Options

I know there are a lot of ladies who have had success with Nuvaring, however, I need to share my story with anyone who is considering using it. 

I had a stroke because of the nuvaring a week after I turned 25.  I wasn't over weight, was a non smoker, had no family history or any preexisting conditions.  I had a stroke, was paralyzed on the right side of my body, had to learn how to walk again and was in the hospital for 26 days and had to inject myself with blood thinners for 2 years.

I was the .1%.  The odds seems small, right?  But it happened to me.  I thought nothing like that could. 

Again, many women go on that bc and they LOVE it.  I didn't have the greatest experience with it lol Too many complications with something that's supposed to give me peace of mind!!!

• Options

*****TMI ALERT*****

I had a successful run with the Nuvaring for 3 years. Then, 3 years ago I started getting very dry down there plus a very heavy/itchy discharge that sent me to the dr. thinking I had a yeast infection. Sex became mostly unenjoyable b/c of the dryness and discharge. Nope- it was because of the ring. When I stopped the ring to TTC the problems all went away after a week!

Unfortunately I can't afford the $980 IUD b/c of my deductible, and I have too many other medical expenses right now due to various things, so I had to go back on the Nuvaring, sure enough all the problems returned. :(

Aside from going off birth control and using condoms again (not happening), I am trying to find out an affordable method of BC for me because I will have to go off the ring soon. It is too uncomfortable since my body chemistry changed a few years ago.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: SIREN.ORG!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I used the ring for 5 years, and LOVED IT!!! I tried every pill in the book and the weight gain was unberable, and my skin breaking out made it awful to go out! I swtiched to the ring upon a friend's recomendation, and never looked back. I used to suffer from migraines and bloating until the ring. I was able to literally set a clock to my period. I have recommended it to everyone I know who has had issues with IUDs or the pill. I spoke to my dr first and had tons of questions. She told me to make sure I maintained a healthy lifestyle. I highly recommend it, but you should definetly talk to your dr first. The best part about it (according to my dr) is that it is a constant, steady stream of hormones into your system, versus the pill that is a "one shot deal" which is what leads to the weight gain and mood swings.

Good luck!!!

• Options

Thanks, I always get pg symptoms when on the pill so I'm nervous about that aswell as my migrains. hopefully I will have the same luck that they will be gone :) my doctor is the one that recommended it and gave me 3 of them to then go back and try the IUD again.

thanks

• Options
    imagebritishbride05:

I had a stroke because of the nuvaring a week after I turned 25.  I wasn't over weight, was a non smoker, had no family history or any preexisting conditions.  I had a stroke, was paralyzed on the right side of my body, had to learn how to walk again and was in the hospital for 26 days and had to inject myself with blood thinners for 2 years.

I was the .1%.  The odds seems small, right?  But it happened to me.  I thought nothing like that could. 

thanks so much for sharing. you never the possible risks will happen to you. I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that. are the risks equal to those of the pill? how are you now?

• Options

the risks are actually higher than the pill because of the steady stream of hormones.  with the pill, you give the dosage every day, but with the nuvaring, it's a constant surge into your system which can trigger the blood clots.

i'm... better.  i still have bouts of confusion and forgetfulness and since the blood clots were in my right temporal lobes and along the corpus collosum, it affected my emotions/personality for a bit.  it's taken me 2 years, but i feel like i'm getting back to the person i used to be.  my right arm is still pretty weak, but i'm left handed anyway, so it wasn't much of a loss lol  it just seems ridiculous that i was on that birth control to avoid any sort of unplanned "surprises" and I got a huuuuge surprise out of it lol 

• Options
    When I went for my post appointment with my Dr. I originally wanted to use the Mirana, but after talking to my DH he suggested getting a vasectomy (which I was super happy and surprised). Well my Dr suggested getting the Essure procedure done. It's non reversible and very effective. It's a "coil" like thing they put in your fallopian tubes. The procedure is done in your Dr. office and takes a couple of minutes. I'm not sure if this is something you might want to talk to your Dr about. It's covered by most insurances. I suggest it b/c you mentioned not wanting more kids b/c of all the complications. We don't want anymore children either and I'm horrible with taking pills. I'm doing the procedure May 7th and go back 2 or 3 weeks later for the post op visit.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"