Stay at Home Moms

f/u: HELP with solid foods -long

Okay, here we go again. I stopped with the sweet potatoes like everyone advised and things seemed okay for a day. But now DS cries and cries and won't eat anything/spits it ALL up a couple minutes later. AND his first little tooth is showing at the fum line now.

Here's a little more background...Isaac ate great when we first started solids at about 5 1/2 months. avacado, banana, rice and oatmeal. He was eating great! Monday after Easter we gave him avacado again and he got really sick (throwing up all afternoon) but we thought he had caught a virus since DH and I had been sick. He finally seemed to be better so we got back on solids and I gave him avacado again and it happened all over again now with a fever. So we go to the doctor and he confirms a virus and says it's not the avacado. A few days pass, DS is all better and I give him the avacado again and duh, it happens all over again minus the fever. So the virus he had was masking the fact that he can't handle avacado.

Then the whole sweet potato thing happened. (spit up) So I went on to butternut squash which he seemed to be okay with. However the last two days it's been hell trying to feed him. He cries and cries and this morning he just spit up the banana and oatmeal after eating - which has been his favorite.

Is it the teeting? I'm thinking of stopping solids for about a week and then starting all over again with just cereals and so on.

Please help, I'm not sure what to do. TIA

Re: f/u: HELP with solid foods -long

• it sounds like you're ds isn't fully ready yet...like you suggested i would wait about 1-2 weeks and start w/rice cereal again and take it very slow. we didn't really get into solids until 9 or 10 months. also i remember a lot of nesties saying that their dcs hated avocado and a couple of their dcs threw it back up. our dd ate it fine when she was younger but it caused major constipation for her and she refuses to eat it now. have you tried green peas yet? i think they are easy on the tummy.
  • I agree with the PP.  Maybe give him a little while.  If he hasn't had good experiences recently with food, that may explain why he is refusing all together.  I hate to jump to any conclusions, but do allergies run in your family?  If you give the solids a break for a while and then go back and he's still throwing up than it might be worth exploring the possibilities.  GL!
  • Loading the player...
  • I would give him a little more time. It's all new to him & though it is exciting to you to be able to feed him "real" food, he is still getting all his nutrients via formula/bm, so I wouldn't worry too much at this point.  It could very well be his teeth.  I remember DD only wanting the bottle some days over eating table food.  Just follow their cues.  Poor little guy! I hope things get back to normal soon!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageEnglishMajor03:
    I hate to jump to any conclusions, but do allergies run in your family?  If you give the solids a break for a while and then go back and he's still throwing up than it might be worth exploring the possibilities.  GL!

yes, DH is extremely allergic to tree nuts. We are staying in close contact with our pedi about this issue. We are praying that this isn't a sign that DS will have the similar problems.

thanks for the responses ladies! We are going to take a break from the solids.

• Awww... I'm sorry to hear about his upset tummy and all your struggles with solids.  It was never easy for us: Emily went from loving something one day to throwing it up the next to flat out refusing to eat AT ALL the next... what a crazy rollercoaster to move her from breastmilk/fomula to solid food.  *sigh*  And when she was teething, it really through a wrench in things, I honestly felt at times like I was just never going to "get it" and she was going to be on bottles until she was a year old!

You've got some great advise so far, I'd just try (as hard as it might be!) to relax, take a small break from the food and just go with it.  Poor thing and poor you!!!

Good luck!

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"