Re: Getting to know you......

• Options

Your real name (if you care to share): Holly

Where you're from (originally & now if you've recently moved): Sycamore, IL

How old are you? 28

Did you go to college?  Yep Illinois State University

What did you major in? Athletic Training and then Special Ed

Did you follow your major and make a career out of it? Nope I didn't finish

If not, what did you decide to do? Did this make you happier? Why didn't you stick with that career? I was in Restaurant Management for awhile, but it is soooooo stressful and I was working 60-70 hours a week and commuting and hour each way on top of it.  Now I'm not working and going back to school.

If you didn't go to college are you happy you didn't go?  I wish I would've finished

What does dh do? Is he happy in his career?  He is a supervisor of an academic advisment team for a University

Are you a sahm? Working mom? What made you decide to be a sahm or working mom?  I am staying at home right now, I quit my job in December and haven't gone back.  I will probably try to pick up a shift or two a week soon, money is getting really tight

Was dh on board with your choice? Ummm kind of

Would you choose the other (sahm or WM) if you had the chance? Why? Why not? I wouldn't change a thing, except for the money being tight part. I wouldn't go back to work either

Baby H #1 born in January '09 after a M/C January '08 Baby H #2 born in May '11 Baby H #3 due April 17th 2013
  • Options

Christine

Grew up in Kansas City, KS & have lived in the NYC area for almost 7 years.

35 yrs old

Went to KU for my BA & still getting my MS online from Nova Southeastern.

My major was Communication Disorders & that's what I'm getting my MS in too.

As a matter of fact, I didn't originally do what my major was, but I'm back to doing it now.  For several years I was a recruiter.  I hired SLPs & other healthcare professionals.  I wasn't happy, so I started working in Early Intervention & finally ended up in a school district working w/special needs pre-k students.  I love my career now, but I'd happily give it up to SAH permanently if we won the lottery.  As it stands right now, I'm SAH until DD is about a year old.  I have to put her in daycare so I can do clinical work for my MS & have to work part-time to help pay for that.  DH loves that he can provide for us & allow me to stay w/DD as long as I am.  When/if we have another child, I'll stay home at least a year then too, most likely.

DH works in advertising.  He majored in engineering (not even sure what type specifically) but got a great opportunity soon after college & has been w/the same company ever since... almost 16 years now I think?  He's really happy w/his job, although it's tough this time of year b/c he's so busy.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Your real name: Marisa

Where you're from (originally & now if you've recently moved): Florida, but have in been in Oregon for 15 years now.

How old are you? almost 30 (next month)

Did you go to college? Yep

What did you major in? Business

Did you follow your major and make a career out of it? I did for awhile, then I got sick of corporate b.s. and decided to go back to nannying. :)

If not, what did you decide to do? Did this make you happier? Why didn't you stick with that career? I love being a nanny because it means I get to stay home with Jax but still make money. :)

If you didn't go to college are you happy you didn't go?  n/a

What does dh do? Is he happy in his career? Sales Exec/Licensed Electrician...he loves his job!

Are you a sahm? Working mom? What made you decide to be a sahm or working mom? Stay at home, working mom.

Was dh on board with your choice? DH is very thankful that I can still work but stay home with Jax

Would you choose the other (sahm or WM) if you had the chance? Why? Why not? I love being home. :)

• Options

Your real name (if you care to share): Kelly

Where you're from (originally & now if you've recently moved): I am originally from NJ, now in DE

How old are you? 26

Did you go to college? Yes

What did you major in? English with a concentration in journalism

Did you follow your major and make a career out of it? No-now I work as a paralegal

If not, what did you decide to do? Did this make you happier? Why didn't you stick with that career? See above...I didn't stick to journalism because DE is very small, there aren't many newspapers to write for and I honestly wanted a set schedule. I do so much better with a structure!

If you didn't go to college are you happy you didn't go?  

What does dh do? Is he happy in his career?  My husband is a police officer. He seems happy with his job.

Are you a sahm? Working mom? What made you decide to be a sahm or working mom? I am a working Mom...We honestly couldn't afford to keep me at home, plus I like having some adult interaction/structure at work.  I think I am a better Mom for going to work, because when I see my LO, I give him all my attention until he goes to bed.  Now, if I hit the powerball or my husband got an amazing raise....I would definitely be a SAHM

Was dh on board with your choice? Yes

Would you choose the other (sahm or WM) if you had the chance? Why? Why not? I definitely miss my LO when I am at work-my only connection is a camera that I can see what he is doing.  He seems content, but obviously I think that I would do things differently during his day.  His caretakers are great, but there would be some things that I would do differently.  If financially we were able to, I would definitely SAH.  (My house probably wouldn't look like the disaster it does at the moment!)

• Options

Your real name (if you care to share):  Tiffany

Where you're from (originally & now if you've recently moved): I've lived in the Detroit area for all of my life with the exception of 4 years lived at Michigan State in Lansing!

How old are you? 31 year old

Did you go to college? yes, Michigan State University for my Bachelor's and Wayne State University for my Master's

What did you major in? Bachelor's = Fisheries and Wildlife (Conservation and Environmental Management), Master's = Early Childhood/Elementary Education (major - science)

Did you follow your major and make a career out of it?  Not my original one by a longshot!

If not, what did you decide to do? Did this make you happier? Why didn't you stick with that career? I decided to be a teacher because it's what I always really wanted to do!  It makes me infinitely happier.

If you didn't go to college are you happy you didn't go?  n/a

What does dh do? Is he happy in his career?  DH is a college English instructor.  He loves it!

Are you a sahm? Working mom? What made you decide to be a sahm or working mom?  I am in the middle between them.  I work 7-11:30 every day.

Was dh on board with your choice? very much so

Would you choose the other (sahm or WM) if you had the chance? Why? Why not?  No!  I think I have the best of both worlds.

• Options

Your real name (if you care to share):  Sara

Where you're from (originally & now if you've recently moved): a small little town called Curwensville, PA......a medium sized town near Harrisburg, PA

How old are you? 32.10  (I'll be 33 in June)

Did you go to college?  yes

What did you major in? Occupational Therapy Assistant and Nursing (RN)

Did you follow your major and make a career out of it? yes, I've been a nurse for 7 years now!

If not, what did you decide to do? Did this make you happier? Why didn't you stick with that career? I didn't like OT, so I switched to nursing and love it!

If you didn't go to college are you happy you didn't go?  n/a

What does dh do? Is he happy in his career?  Computer Programmer and he loves it!

Are you a sahm? Working mom? What made you decide to be a sahm or working mom?   I'm a working mom.  I cut back my hours some.  We need the money and I need the adult interaction.  I'd go crazy if I was home all of the time!!!

Was dh on board with your choice? most definitely!

Would you choose the other (sahm or WM) if you had the chance? Why? Why not? I'd keep it the same, it's working quite for me at this point.

• Options

Your real name (if you care to share):  Tina

Where you're from (originally & now if you've recently moved):  Salem, Oregon orginially.  Moved to Tucson, AZ after college.

How old are you?  28

Did you go to college?  Yep.

What did you major in?  BS in Environmental Engineering & BS in Environmental Science, with a minor in Chemistry.  MS in Civil Engineering

Did you follow your major and make a career out of it?  Yes

If not, what did you decide to do? Did this make you happier? Why didn't you stick with that career?   N/A

If you didn't go to college are you happy you didn't go?    N/A

What does dh do? Is he happy in his career?   He is a Navigation Enginner.  He is pretty happy, but often wishes to get out of the rat race.

Are you a sahm? Working mom? What made you decide to be a sahm or working mom?  Both kinda.  I am still employed and work occasionally, but I am basically a SAHM, and probably will be done with engineering if I have another baby.

Was dh on board with your choice?  Yes.

Would you choose the other (sahm or WM) if you had the chance? Why? Why not?  I think that I enjoy being a SAHM, but I would have prefered to work 1-2 days a week, but with Linc's medical situation, that is just not possible right now.  Maybe someday when the kid(s) are older.

imageimageimageimageimage 9/07 m/c baby boy @ 18wks, 4/09 m/c @ 4.5wks
  • Options

Your real name (if you care to share):  Andrea

Where you're from (originally & now if you've recently moved):  Central IL.  I live 5 mins from where I grew up

How old are you? 25

Did you go to college?  Yes 

What did you major in? Psychology and History.  2 of the most worthless undergrad degrees.

Did you follow your major and make a career out of it?  Sort of, I am independently contracted through the state of IL as a Developmental Therapist for Early Intervention.  To become credentialled I needed quite a few education classes so my college actually defined my degree as Developmental Psychology.  I went to school with this job in mind.

If not, what did you decide to do? Did this make you happier? Why didn't you stick with that career? 

What does dh do? Is he happy in his career?  S is a business owner.  He owns and manages a gunshop.  His family was no help to him when it came to college, so he had to fend for himself, which resulted in him not going.  He worked with my FIL who is a director in Orlando for several years and decided that tv was not the business for him.  He absolutely loves what he does. 

Are you a sahm? Working mom? What made you decide to be a sahm or working mom? I'm going to start working 2 days a week at 12 weeks pp.

Was dh on board with your choice? Yes, but I think he would be even happier if I stayed home FT.

Would you choose the other (sahm or WM) if you had the chance? Why? Why not?  Nope, this is my ideal situation.

• Options

Your real name: Darreth

Where you're from (originally & now if you've recently moved): Always have been from the STL Area

How old are you? 25

Did you go to college? Yes, and still am currently for my paralegal degree....

What did you major in? Paralegal, maybe eventually law degree, but that's in the far future.

Did you follow your major and make a career out of it? Not sure if I want to. I'd like to do more work with a non-profit.

If not, what did you decide to do? Did this make you happier? Why didn't you stick with that career?  I currently work for a network marketing company. Compliance Dept, so yeah, kind of. It doesn't make me happy.

What does dh do? Is he happy in his career?  He is getting his degree in Accounting. He currently works in marketing and hates it.

Are you a sahm? Working mom? What made you decide to be a sahm or working mom? Not yet! We are hoping once DH is done w/ work that this answer will be YES

Was dh on board with your choice?  He very much wants me to stay home.

Would you choose the other (sahm or WM) if you had the chance? Why? Why not? I want to be a SAHM so badly!! I never wanted to until I had DD. Now, I miss her alllllll day.

• Options

Your real name: rachel

Where you're from (originally & now if you've recently moved): grew up outside of philly, moved to boston for college and never left.

How old are you? 34

Did you go to college? yes and also to grad school for my MSW

What did you major in? social work

Did you follow your major and make a career out of it? yes

If not, what did you decide to do? Did this make you happier? Why didn't you stick with that career? n/a.

What does dh do? Is he happy in his career?  he is a software engineer and generally loves his job but wishes he made more money.

Are you a sahm? Working mom? What made you decide to be a sahm or working mom? both i guess.  i WAH

Was dh on board with your choice?  out of necessity, yes.  if we could afford it, he would love for me not to have to work.

Would you choose the other (sahm or WM) if you had the chance? Why? Why not? i was torn while i was on maternity leave.  i've worked so hard to get where i am in my career and really feel good about being good at my job so i missed working.  now that i am working though, i'd happily give it up for my girl.

• Options

Your real name (if you care to share): Tricia

Where you're from (originally & now if you've recently moved): From suburbs outside of Boston, now live in coastal MA

How old are you? 32

Did you go to college? I did.  And more.

What did you major in? Majored in the College of Letters (interdisciplinary field - Western literature, philosophy, history).  MA in Comparative Literature.  Currently writing a dissertation on medieval English literature.

Did you follow your major and make a career out of it? Yes - teaching and studying literature.

What does dh do? Is he happy in his career?  Director of Technology at a boarding school.  He likes it.

Are you a sahm? Working mom? What made you decide to be a sahm or working mom?  A little of both.

Was dh on board with your choice? We both want me to be back in full-time job soon.

Would you choose the other (sahm or WM) if you had the chance? Why? Why not? I would choose to work.  I need it to keep me sane.  But Mr. Laustique would love to be a SAHD.

• Options

Your real name (if you care to share):  Paula

Where you're from (originally & now if you've recently moved):  Washington State

How old are you?   28

Did you go to college?  Yes, Washington State University & Everett CC

What did you major in?  WSU - Human Development (emphasis in child development) with minor in Psychology.  ECC - 2 yr RN degree

Did you follow your major and make a career out of it?  Yes, currently working as Pediatric/NICU RN

If not, what did you decide to do? Did this make you happier? Why didn't you stick with that career? N/A

If you didn't go to college are you happy you didn't go?  N/A

What does dh do? Is he happy in his career?  DH is a Real Estate agent, likes what he does but its a slow time right now with the economy the way it is.

Are you a sahm? Working mom? What made you decide to be a sahm or working mom?  I only work part-time, so I guess I am a part-time SAHM also.  I really love my job and didn't want to give it up, but at the same time I love being with my DS

Was dh on board with your choice?  Yes, plus the extra $ is always nice!

Would you choose the other (sahm or WM) if you had the chance? Why? Why not?  If I knew more people in my area that had children I would think more about being a SAHM, so that I would have more people to do things with during the day.  Right now none of our friends that live near us have kids! : (

• Options

Your real name (if you care to share): Jennifer

Where you're from (originally & now if you've recently moved): Long Island

How old are you? 40 Indifferent

Did you go to college? Yes

What did you major in? Accounting

Did you follow your major and make a career out of it? Yes

If not, what did you decide to do? Did this make you happier? Why didn't you stick with that career? 

What does dh do? Is he happy in his career?  DH is a funeral director.  It may sound strange, but he was born to be one.  He loves his work and the families he serves adore him.

Are you a sahm? Working mom? What made you decide to be a sahm or working mom?  I work from home.

Was dh on board with your choice? Yes.

Would you choose the other (sahm or WM) if you had the chance? Why? Why not?  I have the best of both worlds.  It's really hard some days, but I'm grateful that I can be with my kids all day and still earn a paycheck.

• Options

Your real name (if you care to share): Suzanne, but friends call me Suzie or Suz.

Where you're from (originally & now if you've recently moved): Born in Albuquerque, NM; grew up in Newton, MA; lived in London and Chicago and now live in L.A.

How old are you? 31

Did you go to college? Yup; Northwestern's theater school

What did you major in?Theater

Did you follow your major and make a career out of it? Yes, but now not really... I was an actress and now I still do a little acting but mostly am a writer.

If not, what did you decide to do? Did this make you happier? Why didn't you stick with that career? I loved acting, but the industry sucked and I was tired of being a depressed, bitter person all the time and feeling constantly "judged" and doubting my talent; feeling insecure about my looks; feeling desperate, etc... When I switched to writing, I felt like I could look at my work objectively and feel proud of it, which was wonderful. I still miss acting, but for now I think writing needs to be my focus.

If you didn't go to college are you happy you didn't go?  N/A

What does dh do? Is he happy in his career?  Commercial/fashion/celebrity photographer. Yeah, he loves it.

Are you a sahm? Working mom? What made you decide to be a sahm or working mom?Kinda both. I still audition and now I will be leaving the house a few days a week to write, but I am mostly home. I really wanted to be home w/my children but I also need a creative and intellectually stimulating outlet.

Was dh on board with your choice?Yup

Would you choose the other (sahm or WM) if you had the chance? Why? Why not? n/a

• Options

Your real name (if you care to share): Meghan

Where you're from (originally & now if you've recently moved): Born & raised in SoCal

How old are you? 27

Did you go to college? Yup!

What did you major in? Psychology with a minor in Child Devel

Did you follow your major and make a career out of it? At first, yes. I was a behavioral therapist and did intense behavioral modification with autistic children. I realized that diminished my patience with children outside of work and decided I wanted all of my patience devoted to my own children so I got out of the field. I now work in HR which is a way to help people without the theraputic aspect (although at times employee do turn to me for that).

If not, what did you decide to do? Did this make you happier? Why didn't you stick with that career? See above

What does dh do? Is he happy in his career?  wow. DH does a lot of shiit for his company. Tech support, QA, research, product delivery, trouble shooting. His company makes collison estimating software. He likes it.

Are you a sahm? Working mom? What made you decide to be a sahm or working mom? Working mom. The economy made that decision

Was dh on board with your choice? yup

Would you choose the other (sahm or WM) if you had the chance? Why? Why not? SAHM hands down. everything else seems to irrelevent now. But financially I have to work

• Options

Your real name (if you care to share): Gwyneth

Where you're from (originally & now if you've recently moved): Grew up in Seattle. I've lived in 10 cities and 6 countries since then, and now live in Malawi, in Africa. 

How old are you? 31

Did you go to college? Yes, and graduate school.

What did you major in? International Public Health

Did you follow your major and make a career out of it? Yep. I'm now a Health and Nutrition Advisor for the government here.

What does dh do? Is he happy in his career? He's a SAHD. I think he's pretty happy, but he's planning to go back to school full-time this fall (online)

Are you a sahm? Working mom? What made you decide to be a sahm or working mom? Was dh on board with your choice? Working mom. It was a no-brainer - I make a lot more, plus my job provides terrific benefits and housing.

Would you choose the other (sahm or WM) if you had the chance? Why? Why not? No - I'm totally not cut out to be a SAHM. I get so bored and frustrated. DH has way more patience than I do.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"