New York Babies
Options

1 bdrm apt w/ baby?

Anyone else have a 1 bdrm apt w/ a baby?  We have a 1 bdrm now and plan to be here when we ttc.  Just wondering how everyone organized, decorated and made room for things.  We have a separate dining room which I think may be turned into a bedroom (even though it's right off the kitchen and living room) by putting a temporary wall up and separate entrance.  But in the beginning the baby would sleep in our room- I think.

Re: 1 bdrm apt w/ baby?

• Options
    We share a 1bdrm with our 10month old son....things are "difficult" but we're managing just fine...we'll have to stay in this apt for 1 more year.  His dresser, changing table and crib all fit...snugly, but they fit. We took advantage of shleves. All his baby books and stuff animals are up on a long shelf over his dresser and corner shelves hold his little pic frames and piggy bank :) The changing table helps alot because it has 2 shelves so i put all his diaper changing stuff and medicines and bath stuff in little canvas baskets on the shelves and you can use the baby's dresser top for extra space too. Just use your imagination...everything will work out fine :) GL!
  • Options
    We did it for a year with our son. We had a decent size 1 bedroom so we were able to put a crib, changing table and chair on one side of the room. We did hang wall letters and decorated his side. We considered trying to separate the room with an airwall or screen, but left it. It worked out fine; however, I will say that the biggest problem was with sleeping. He did not start sleeping through the night until we moved and he got his own bedroom. That was hardest part! I would suggest putting up a barrier of some sort. It will help with the sleeping. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We had temporary walls installed in our living room to give her her own space at 9 months. ?Didn't sleep through the night until then!! ?
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

We're moving from a 1-bedroom 5th floor walk-up to a larger 1-bedroom in an elevator building. It seems a little crazy, but the new apartment has some spaces we can use for the baby once we're ready for separate spaces - either the bedroom with a temporary wall (which is pretty big) or a hallway alcove.

FYI, when I was little my parents lived in the city too, and my "bedroom" was a wide hallway. My bed was on one side, and my dresser and toy chest were on the other. Worked just fine for me! We moved when I was 5. I don't think kids start to need "privacy" (with their own door) until they're a little older.

Sounds like your dining room could work perfectly too!

"For a long time there were only your footprints & laughter in our dreams & even from such small things, we knew we could not wait to love you forever." Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    baby sleeps the hallway (we have a mini crib) and her dresser / changing table is in the living room. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"