Pennsylvania Babies
Options

MIL's comment

I can usually brush my MIL's comments off, but this one really got me especially because I work in a field that the "A" word is pretty much forbidden...DH and I were at the IL's house yesterday just hanging out and MIL say's out of the blue "Do you think the reason Sierra doesn't talk is because she has Autism?"  I just sat there in amazement thinking 'do you even know what Autism is' and DH started screaming "No why would you say that".  Grrr...Sierra is only (almost) 2, she will talk when she wants to.  Sierra is able to sign to communicate her wants and needs but it seems like in their eyes that isn't communicating.  I dont want this to sound like being Autistic is a bad thing, but come on if your going to say that to someone at least have some reasons why you would think that... MIL could provide none, besides Sierra not talking.  Wouldn't you be a little irritated?

Re: MIL's comment

• Options

Oh yeah.  I would be outraged. 

Even if she were to be audibly talking,  at 2, a parent would be a 'translator' so to speak.  I have a 2 year old niece who speaks very well, but I still can't understand her half the time!  She wouldn't understand her anyway, so what difference does it make HOW she chooses to communicate?  I'm sure one day she will sprout out with full sentences when she wants to. 

Especially do NOT imply there is a concern in a child's development becuase she is not communicating in a way that a grandmother would PREFER.  

ttf21e9.aspx

ttf2202.aspx

• Options

Okay, that was my hot head Mama Bear response. 

Now thinking a little more about it, it's quite possible that she is just ignorant to the facts of autism.  If someone is uneducated about it, all they hear is the talking delay - the older generation hears autism and thinks it means Rainman.

That being said, I'd still be pissed LOL - but stepping back, that might be where she is coming from. 

ttf21e9.aspx

ttf2202.aspx

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Everyone thinks they can diagnose things these days and it seems like autism is the top one.

DH's family pisses me off because his cousin has a 4 year old with autism and they think they are freaking doctors now because they "diagnosed" it first.  I emailed his cousin a few weeks ago to ask if she had any suggestions to get Sophia more interested in solids.  Her reply was for us to see the doctor immediately because Sophia must be having problems eating and she has always thought something may be wrong, etc, etc.  She said she thought something was wrong when Sophia never took a paci and she always had her mouth hanging open when she was younger.  WTF??!?!  I was so pissed.  People just need to shut up unless they are a professional and know for sure.

End of my rant.

• Options
    I think the majority of people are uneducated about what autism really is.  All the really know is that it's getting more common - so, if a child isn't as progressed as they think they should be, then they attribute it to that.  I probably would have really said to her "Do you really know what autism is?".  I have heard about autism but I didn't really understand it until I was with a child that had it (my dad adopted a child who has it).
  • Options
    I really do think she is uneducated about  Autism, but she could have taken a few minutes and researched it.  DH did call her and let her know her comment was inappropriate, so at least she is aware.
  • Options

Yeah, if she's concerned, that's not the way to go about it bringing it up. 

Einstein didn't talk until he was 3.  My DH was well over two before he said a word (not that my DH is up there with Einstein, but he's a pretty smart guy.) 

People need to stop and think before they open thier mouths.  I would be upset, too.

• Options
    ugh.... I know what you mean... My SIL kept asking if Bella was "slow" while she was in the NICU because she had a feeding tube.   I am sorry that she would even say that.... I know that some of us on here deserve a medal for not killing our in-laws when they say dumb things!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"