1st Trimester

Can I eat crumbly blue cheese in my salad dressing?

It should be safe to assume it's pasturized right? ?I just ordered a salad to be delivered. ?Please tell me I can eat this salad dressing because I need it!!!

Re: Can I eat crumbly blue cheese in my salad dressing?

• No idea if you can or not.  I wish I knew that yesterday when I had my salad with bleu cheese crumbles...  (I didn't get sick, if that helps.)
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • As long as it's pasteurized (and I'm sure it is), I would think it's fine.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • lol, I have been eating crumbled blue cheese stuffed celery for the past week, and it's been delicious!  I think most cheeses are pasturized now unless it's a specialty cheese...you should be fine.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • blue cheese isn't recommended because it is an aged cheese...but I am sure in moderation it won't hurt

• I have decided that I will disregard any ban on cheese. There is hardly any unpasteurized cheese in the US anyway, especially if you only shop at regular grocery stores. There is no way I am giving up brie or any blue cheeses.
  • I wouldn't make assumptions when it comes to blue cheese.  In the U.S., cheese has to pasteurized UNLESS it has been aged for over 60 days, in which case it can be sold  but must be labeled raw milk cheese.  If a cheese label just says milk then you can assume it had been pasteurized.  My sister used to work in a cheese dept., which is the only reason I know this. 

That said, I have had salads with blue cheese on them since getting pregnant.  I guess in the end it is a judgement call.

• I just had feta on my salad TWO DAYS IN A ROW!

::gasp:: 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • You may want to ask your Dr.  Mine said "no mold-ripened cheeses."  Pasteurized or not wasn't the issue.

She also said no soft-pasteurized cheeses such as brie or feta.  Gorgonzola and Camembert are out too.

• My doctor said it was fine, I am pretty sure having it one day in your salad wont kill ya.
  • In response to some other responses, have yet to find a feta in the markets here that is not pasteurized, so TOTALLY FINE.

I have stayed away from any blue-veined cheeses, pasteurized or not, because the aging/molding puts them at an increase risk for listeria and other bacterias from what I've read. Totally a personal choice though, and I'm guessing packaged dressing is totally fine. I wouldn't avoid a packaged bottle of blue cheese.  

• imagesestock17:

I wouldn't make assumptions when it comes to blue cheese.  In the U.S., cheese has to pasteurized UNLESS it has been aged for over 60 days, in which case it can be sold  but must be labeled raw milk cheese.  If a cheese label just says milk then you can assume it had been pasteurized.  My sister used to work in a cheese dept., which is the only reason I know this. 

That said, I have had salads with blue cheese on them since getting pregnant.  I guess in the end it is a judgement call.

hey, you learn something new every day. Thanks :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Sadly that is a BIG NO!!!! ?(I love it, and it goes so well with my Hot wings craving) No blue veined cheeses, they contain mold which grows because of bacteria and spores.(basic science) And while we are on the topic of dressing, stay away from most ceaser dressing as well, most recipes and brands contain raw egg.
  • My OB told me that between 8 and 12 weeks we should really watch our diets. ?

If that's of any help...

?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"