Minnesota Babies
Options

Waterbirth?

My husband and I will be TTC this summer and eventually want to attempt a waterbirth (if possible) and see a midwife throughout the pregnancy.  The only two hospitals I know of that offer this are Woodwinds in Woodbury and St. Joseph's in St. Paul. 

We are in the Champlin/Anoka area and it would be a bit of a drive, but the experience is important to us.  I know it's way early, but I'm a bit of a planner.  I would like to schedule a pre-pregnancy consultation and have a place in mind before we start.  Does anyone have any insight into either of these places?

Re: Waterbirth?

• Options
    Have you thought about a home birth?  It's not for me, but there are lots of people who do homebirths in minnesota.
  • Options
    We have thought about it, but my husband is not very comfortable with the idea.  He would rather be in a more secure setting if something were to go wrong, especially for our first.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I've seen the Waterbirth room at Saint Joe's. It's nice. I've heard Woodwinds is even nicer. Their site shows some pics, I think. Here's some info about it. (I am unskilled in the ways of the clicky. Sorry.)

https://www.healtheast.org/stjosephs/maternity/waterbirth.cfm

Unfortunately, I'm not a candidate due to my BMI (according to my MW, if something happens, they need to get you out of the tub pronto, and I guess my fat azz would take too long...or something) : ) 

I also highly recommend the Healtheast midwives. They're excellent ladies.

• Options

I don't at all discourage you; I really wanted to do a waterbirth too. So much that I considered switching practices at 36 weeks (that's when I found out Woodwinds offered that). We're in Coon_Rapids, and Mercy was our delivery hospital.

But, boy am I glad we didn't make that switch to deliver all the way over in Woodbury - My water broke in the middle of the night around 39 weeks, we left for Mercy 50 minutes later, and delivered 10 minutes after we got there. Total time between water breaking and baby delivery: 1hr, 13 minutes. So, I'm thoroughly pleased we chose not to drive all the way to Woodwinds. I would have delivered in the car, probably somewhere along 694. Stick out tongue

This was my second baby, so I expected it to be a quicker labor (just not that quick!). Since this would be your first, I'm thinking the odds of your having that short of a labor are slim....just something to think about.

I don't know anything specifically about those two places either - just that they offer the waterbirth in general. I think Woodwinds has lavender bath salts and they provide music on CD for relaxation, and HealthEast clinics offers midwives as well as doctors.

I hope you can do the waterbirth, I SO wanted to do that and probably wont have anymore kids so might not get the experience. I envy you :) Good luck with your decision! (And TTC!)

Mom to Jace (7/2004), Cade (2/2009) and baby girl (5/2019)

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

I delievered at St Joes and wanted a water birth but had GD and it couldn't happen.

Remember, the criteria is very specific about whether you can deliver, so even if you have it all planned and are ready if you have a temp or high bp you may be disappointed at the 11th hour.  My friend was sad when she spiked a temp and had to abandon her plans when she was in the water birth room and everything.

The best birth plan is a flexible one but it's good to pursue your dreams:)

Call WW or SJ's and ask for a tour and then schedule an appt with the midwives who are the only ones who do the waterbirths.

• Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions/comments!  There are a lot of things we're definitely going to have to consider.
  • Options
    A friend of mine just had a waterbirth at St. John's in downtown St. Paul. Years ago another friend had one at HCMC. ?I'm guessing neither of those help you with your driving, though! ?Good luck!
  • Options
    Lakeview Hospital in Stillwater does waterbirths too.
  • Options
    HCMC downtown does them.  I switched to Hennepin Care North clinic in Brooklyn Center @ 30 weeks to do one.  The midwives were SO great!  I can not say enough about how great delivering there was and the nurses and midwives were so nice and helpful.  Unfortunatly I had to be induced, so I was not able to do the water birth I planned, but I would deliver there again.
  • Options

I had a waterbirth at Woodwinds on January 3rd of this year. I am so happy that I did! The water really helped me mangage the pain during contactions. I was afraid that they weren't going to let me deliver in the water because I needed to be induced, but I was wrong. At Woodwinds they have waterproof monitors to strap on to your belly (because when you are on pitocin the baby has to be constantly monitored) so I was able to do the waterbirth. My baby was 10 days overdue but I still managed to give birth vaginially and I truely think it was because I did so underwater. My son was 9 pounds 10 ounces and it took several hours of pushing to even get close to getting his head out. The water really helps your body relax so that things can happen naturally. I realize that you live a ways away but you have to do what makes you happy. The midwives with Heatheast clinic in Woodbury are awesome too! Just an FYI.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"