Birth Stories
Options

Lamaze vs Bradley

I really would like to have a natural birth, and thought that Bradley method would match me and my thought process the best. Here's the problem....lazame classes are included with our OB and last 5 weeks. Bradley classes are 10 weeks (very hard for my DH and I to schedule with work) and cost $300.

My husband is not overly excited about spending the extra $$, but is also saying his is not the one to have go through the pain.  He did say for sure that he didn't want to do both classes because of it causing conflicts with work.

Does anyone have an any thoughts on the two methods or how I could suppliment my lazame classes with something less expensive?

Re: Lamaze vs Bradley

• Options

If you are hoping for a natural birth, I would go for Bradley. I know the success rate is extremely high, something like 80-90% of graduates of class go natural. If it's important to you, the extra money is worth it- besides think about how much money you'll save on drugs lol!!!

You might also look into getting a doula. You could do that in combination with a class or alone. They also greatly increase your chances of natural birth/no drugs/no c-section/etc.... 

Good luck! 

Oh! You can also look into hypnobirthing/hypnobabies and I think you can teach yourself that??? 

Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• Options

I agree with the previous poster - Bradley, Hypnobirthing (from a good instructor or lic. hypnotherapist only), or Birthing from Within Classes are the way to go.  It's better to find one of those than go with the lamaze.  We did Bradley for the first - then I did some hypnobirthing for the second.  However, the best "training" I had was epic bike rides, yoga, relaxation, and support (more than just DH - it's a lot of work for DH and extra help to support you and him is key.)  IMO regular, centered breathing and relaxation are really important if you want med-free births. 

The Big Sky Country Welcomes Us Home!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would agree with the other poster about getting a doula! If you are going to spend the extra money, it would be much better spent on that than on classes. I am going the Birthing From Within route and I'm planning a home birth, so definitely no meds for me. I would also suggest reading as much as you can to supplement the classes. There are great books out there on hypnobirthing, the Bradley method, and BFW. The more exposure you have to different pain relief techniques, and especially if you have a doula there to support you, the better off you will be. I would also suggest reading A Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer if you haven't read that already. GL!
  • Options
    I would pay the extra for Bradley.  I have heard better results and with lamaze I heard the type of breathing that they teach is actually not good for you and the baby?? I just remember our midwife telling us that lamaze was not the way to go....I haven't been through it yet though! 1 week away from my first baby, so we'll see how it goes.  Def get the Bradley Method book (Susan Mccutcheon) and start practicing with your hubby, you don't need a class for that! GL
  • Options

Are you willing to throw out modern medicine to have an unmedicated birth? If so Bradley is for you. Lamaze at least doesn't pretend to know better than a Dr when pitocin is needed.

And do us all a favour and call it non-medicated not natural.

The NATURAL thing to do is to take the pain relief. It is unnatural to choose to suffer unnecessarily. 

• Options
    Another vote for Bradley! I'm about half way through our Bradley class and it is so great. It's really worth the time, money and commitment, especially if you want to have a natural birth. You will feel so prepared for labor - no matter what happens on that day. It's also really empowering to learn about how your body works and about all the pros/cons of drugs, medical interventions, etc..    IT's been great for my relationship with DH, because it is a "husband coached childbirth," so it's opened up our communication about pregnancy, birth, and just being parents!
  • Options

imageWhitneyRaf:
    I would pay the extra for Bradley.  I have heard better results and with lamaze I heard the type of breathing that they teach is actually not good for you and the baby?? I just remember our midwife telling us that lamaze was not the way to go....I haven't been through it yet though! 1 week away from my first baby, so we'll see how it goes.  Def get the Bradley Method book (Susan Mccutcheon) and start practicing with your hubby, you don't need a class for that! GL

This is what me and DH are doing.  We actually can't afford the classes, so we are just doing a lot of practice from the book.  I am also always reading and trying to get more information.  I have found lots of women on here that have used it and several other people I know to ask questions and get help from.  Good luck! 

• Options
    imagemarrymemylove:

Are you willing to throw out modern medicine to have an unmedicated birth? If so Bradley is for you. Lamaze at least doesn't pretend to know better than a Dr when pitocin is needed.

The NATURAL thing to do is to take the pain relief. It is unnatural to choose to suffer unnecessarily. 

Are you ever going to tell us why your such a witch about NATURAL childbirth? 100 years ago women did it NATURALLY without MEDICATION so hence Natural Childbirth.

For the OP I agree with the other girls, spend the extra $$ for the Bradley classes, that is what DH & I plan to do.

• Options
    Does your hospital offer Lamaze Plus? It is geared toward natural childbirth. I am halfway through with my class and have found it very helpful.
    Baby E: July 3, 2009 Baby M: February 22, 2012
  • Options

We were also unable to attend the 12 Bradley Method classes because of money and a 2 hr drive to the closest!?

https://www.amazon.com/Husband-Coached-Childbirth-Fifth-Bradley-Natural/dp/055338516X

I would recommend getting and reading that ^ book. I know going through the classes would have been a great experience as well but I don't regret anything because I had great natural birth experience and I hope you do too! GL!?

?

• Options
    imagemarrymemylove:

This is hilarious. I would love to know the back story on your opinion.

• Options
    imagemarrymemylove:

People, please do not take anything this person says seriously, she is a fvcking nutcase.

• Options
    I've been a n L&D nurse for about 2 years and I was so impressed when a couple came in the other day. I think she was already an 8-9cm and progressing fast. They were great together. He would coach her and tell her things and she would listen and do it. She would say knuckles in my back and he was on it. I really was impressed and didn't know anything about them, they had a midwife and I was there just to  help. I kept think  WOW these people are really good at this. I have seen so many births in the last 2 years and I was so impressed. I complimented them after the baby was born and....wouldn't you know it they were Bradley method instructors. I would go for that. It was really amazing and I see this every day. I'm thinking about it for my next one. I went with the epi for the first but I'd like to see what my pt's are really going through and I think it's a great method!
  • Options

We're doing Bradley right now and the instructor is awesome so I am a little biased in that direction. She is worth the money!

I would see if you can talk to the Lamaze instructor first before you make a decision to see what his or her perspective is and how well it lines up with what kind of birth you want. Don't assume it's the same Lamaze from the 80's. Also, the classes from your hospital or OB may be more realistic about what your hospital birth will be like. It may be a waste to take classes that teach you one method and then get to the hospital and find out you can't do any of that.

My Bradley classes are very geared toward what to expect in birth when you're with a midwife. Most of the techniques they teach would be nearly impossible with a typical OB hospital birth.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We went with Bradley and I learned a lot from it. I can't say much for Lamaze as I've never done it. I will say that we paid 300 for our classes, went for ten weeks, learned everything we needed to learn, felt super prepared for an all natural ?birth, no drugs or anything. And then I developed pre-eclampsia and had the MOST drugged up c-section you can ever possibly imagine. Two epidurals and a huge whopping shot of morphine after the birth (without my permission)! I was high for two straight days and don't even remember them. Altho I did refuse all pain meds after that so I could stop hallucinating and start breastfeeding.?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"