South Jersey Babies
Options

starting cereal?

Ava's next appointment is April 14th, so i wanna ask the doctor about starting cereal but i wanted to get a general consensus i guess, beforehand. Im heading to Target in a little while, and was thinking of picking up a box of baby cereal when i get her formula. What is a good one to start with, i noticed they had different flavors of the rice.

Ava just doesnt seem satisfied AT ALL with her bottles anymore. She's eating 6 ounces, and afterwards, is munching on her little fingers til she falls asleep (which takes a long while now). I think she might be starting to teethe too,  cause there's always an excessive amount of drool all over her, her sheets, her clothes.. I know that you should start them on solids by 4 months or when they double their birth weight, and im pretty sure she's doubled it by now. On March 7th she was 15 pounds, 7 oz. She was 8 lbs 6 oz at birth. She's 3 months, 1 week. Opinions or Advice? tia!

Re: starting cereal?

• Options

At our 4 month appt the dr suggested with start DS on cereal. She suggested starting with rice cereal and then moving on to barley and oatmeal a couple of days later.  We also introduced stage 1 veggies (carrots, sweet pototoes, green beans, etc) about 2 weeks later - introducing them a few days apart to make sure there were no allergic reactions.

DS has done really well and it def helps fill his stomach,esp at night. After about a month of starting solids, he starting STTN consistently. I don't know if it was the solids but the dr seem to think that would help.

I've never heard anything about doubling birth weight but I think DS was almost double when we went to the 4 month appt.

Good luck!!

• Options

Have you thought about just giving her more milk? ?My son did the same thing, and as soon as I gave him more milk, he was much more satisfied.

?We started rice cereal at 5 months, although I wanted to wait until he was 6 ?months, he was really ready to start solids.?

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I started J on rice cereal (earth's best) right before he hit 4 months... probably around Ava's age now.  We gave him a little bit each night for a week, then increased the amount.  After 2 weeks I changed him to oatmeal but I don't think it agreed w/ him very well... screamed the whole next day.. which is SOOO not Jacob's normal behaviors.. so we went back to rice cereal.  I have his 4 mth. pedi appt. this Thursday so I'll ask her then about starting fruits/veggies.  Some say that rice cereal causes constipation, but we haven't any issues with that at all.

also... I "think" that you keep the fruits/veggies to one color... like start orange things one week, once they are ok, go to green then yellow etc...   def. ask your pedi about it.

and they also say to only introduce one item every couple of days to check for reactions. 

good luck!  Even though I realize she's only a couple weeks younger than Jacob, i can't believe Ava is going to be 4 months old... time does fly.

• Options
    We started Elijah on Earth's best rice cereal somewhere close to 5 months I think.  After that he went to oatmeal.  My pedi recommended to start with veggies first when doing purees then go to fruits because some kids will like the sweetness of fruits and not want to eat veggies.  But definitely get your pedi's take on the food thing if you haven't already.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"