Canada Babies

After Cereal?

How long after starting cereal would you start on veggies/fruit/meats?  I know you should wait before you introduce a new food but I was wondering just how long. 

We started Austin on Cereal about a month ago (dr ok'd it) and I'm fine with just giving him cereal but should I be starting him on other things now that he's been on cereal for a month?

Kristin & Dave

Happy Easter

My Blog

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: After Cereal?

• DS's pedi always told us to wait approximately 1 week between foods.  If Austin has been on cereal for over 1 month now, I would think that he should be fine to start with something else.  I think the new recommendations are to start them with meats, but I personally would still try fruits(applesauce, pear)  and vegetables( sweet potato and carrots) first, only b/c they are easier to digest.
  • Your LO is only 4.5 months? I'd talk to the pedi... There are things that are supposed to be avoided/limited until 6 months from what I understand. 

The standard recommendation now is nothing until 6 months and then introduce a new food with a 3-4 day wait rule.  We were told 4-5 days though because DS is allergic to dairy/soy so we need to be particularly cautious.

DS 06.26.08 DD 10.23.10
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • imageclayswife:

Your LO is only 4.5 months? I'd talk to the pedi... There are things that are supposed to be avoided/limited until 6 months from what I understand. 

We were going to wait until his 6 month appt to ask about starting other foods but I thought I would check here as well.  We're in no hurry to start them, I was just wondering if we should have already.

Kristin & Dave

Happy Easter

My Blog

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• The new recommendations are to wait until 5 to 7 months to start all solids. But some doctors aren't up to date. For the first year of life and especially until around 6 months breastmilk or formula should be the primary source of nutrition. I think the next step would be to start with some veggies whenever you think he is ready. Then after he is used to a variety of veggies I would give fruit once a day. There is a lot more nutritional value in veggies and fruit then the cereal. At around 6 months you can also give him Quinoa. It's a great protein and meat alternative. I don't know what it is like in Ontario but in BC all the health units have a nutritionist or dietician you can talk to. They have some great information & resources. Hope that helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"