Washington Babies
Options

infant sleep coach/trainer in Seattle area

Hello,

My 6 month old is still not sleeping through the night and wakes up several times during the night and is unable to put herself back to sleep.  Can anyone recommend an infant sleep coach or sleep trainer in the Seattle area?  Thank you in advance.

sydney

Re: infant sleep coach/trainer in Seattle area

• Options

I'll just throw in my two cents that my daughter didn't sleep through the night until she was eight months old. I think that's pretty young to be putting themselves back to sleep personally.

We use the Baby Whisperer book and her methods. 

• Options

When DD was that age, we were getting her down to 2 wake periods a night.

Do what ever your mommy gut thinks is right, but just know that it's completely normal to not be STTN yet.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

we used healthy sleep habits by weissbluth... and it was a good fit (most of the time) for our family....

also check out NAPS for post partum doulas, they may be able to help,  my neighbor, jennifer mcarthur is their co-director

• Options

6 months is pretty young to be expecting your LO to sleep through the night consistently.   Ben did from 3-6 months but then stopped and didn't start again til 17 months.   I know it sucks and it's hell, but there are developmental things tghat have to take place.  It's not just willpower... and at 6 months, there are so many things going on in the baby's world that will keep him up, it's hard to fight.

That said, Children's Hospital has a sleep clinic - you might start there.

• Options

I'm sorry, I don't know of anyone specifically, but maybe check out night nannies through one of the nanny agencies?

2-4 months is the right age to wake up and go back to sleep on their own.  Not every time, but much of the time.

I've also been using Healthy Sleep Habits and I would recommend it.  (Except that the author is obsessed with sleep and keeps implying that poor sleep habits will cripple the poor kids development.)

The main message in all these books is to put the baby to bed drowsy but conscious and to actually leave the room while the baby goes to sleep.

• Options
    Logan didn't sleep thru the night until 8 months. Liam not until like 15 months. I think it is pretty normal for a 6 mo. old to not sleep thru the night. Is there really a service that does that? I've never heard of that.
  • Options

6 Months is pretty young to expect them to sleep thru the night. Robbie is just now at 10.5 months sleeping most night all the way 8pm till 4 or 5 am. Some nights he gets up at 1am and some nights it is 5 or 630am even. We just roll with it and if it has been at least 8 hours we get him a bottle and feed and chagne him, if it has been under 8 hours of sleep we usually let him cry for up to 20 min to see if he will settel himself down and go back to sleep.

Oct 2011 3 1/2 years old.
    Robert Williams Birth date 5/16/2008
  • Options

Thanks for all of the great advice.  It sounds like my baby's situation is normal.  I was initially concerned because I have several friends telling my that their 6 month old sleeps from 8:00 pm to 6:30 or 7:00 am.  I generally put my baby down around 7:00pm and she wakes up around 11:00, 3:00 and 7:00.  Anyway, perhaps her sleep schedule will improve with age. 

• Options

It will improve with age.  I promise.   And that seems like a very normal schedule.

I hate it when"friends" try to make you feel like an inferior mother for your child's sleeping habits.  Good for them for having a great sleeper.  Shut up and leave me alone.  :)  THey'll I'm sure have "tips" for what "worked" and then when they have theri second baby they'll learn that their "tips" weren't what worked at all... they just had a kid who sleeps.

In the meantime, I also recommend the no cry sleep solution.  That book has some very subtle changes you can make to help you with sleep issues.. although I dont' think you really have "issues" right now.  But you might look there for some ideas about how to start easing your child toward falling asleep on his own.  Ben didn't fall asleep on his own until he was well over 1 year old.  If I do it again, that's one thing I think I'll try harder to work on earlier.

• Options
    Thanks so much and I appreciate your support.  I plan on buying the book that you mentioned.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"