Orange County Babies

529 or ING baby account?

We are looking to open some sort of savings for the baby. Work offers a 529 but ING seems to have better returns. Any experience with either  or any other recommendations?  

What do you prefer, for baby to access at 18 years old or to be used for college only? and what sort of access to godparents get in case anything happens to me and dh?

Re: 529 or ING baby account?

• My dh uses ing and hasn't had any trouble. His grandpa also set up an account when dh was little, and there was a clause that it was for college expenses, or if dh did not use all of it for college, or didn't go to college, it would be available for him when he turned 25. I wouldn't just grant access for when they turn 18 imo. GL!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Making lefse at the cabin **Scott 6/8/96** **Avery 7/24/08** **Brendan 7/15/10**
  • We did the 529, with the stipulation that it would be more "agressive" in the investments, since we have the time to make it back if something happens.  I didn't really research the ING.  Our friend is a financial advisor and said the 529 was our best bet, and we trust him completely. 

We need to add it into our will, and if something happens it will be taken care of then.

• Loading the player...
  • We are doing the 529. DH is in finance and says it is better. We still need to pick godparents!
  • We have ing and never had a problem. We really like it, plus they have better returns than most banks.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We currently have an ING account for F. 

forcing sisterly love since 07.06.10
  • We have an ING for DS set up by his great-grandmother that family contributes to, but plan on doing a 529 as well.  I don't want him to access the ING account until he is 25...if he goes to college great, but if life leads him down a different path, I want to support that too!  I just think 18 is too young to make decisions with money like that (sometimes 25 can still seem too young).  If anything were to happen to us, the ING account would still be all his.  We have life insurance that would go to a trust for him, that his guardians would oversee.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have a 529 account.  My mom is a financial planner and that's what she suggested.  Honestly, I didn't ask a ton of questions about why. 
  • We just have our savings. ?If anything happens to us then our kids get everything through our trust. ?However we have stipulations on how and when they get it, and if they are young then their guardians have control over it. ?If we are alive I dont' need a seperate account for them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"