Working Moms

Flying w/ BM?

Going on a business trip in 3 weeks for 3 nights. What is the best way to transport milk that i've pumped? what kind of cooler? what works best to go through the security at airports?

?

thanks!?

Re: Flying w/ BM?

• A lot of my friends who did this actually shipped the milk overnight in a cooler.  Though they let you through security with it, you'll have quite a bit from three days.  Just an idea.  Otherwise, I'd call airport security and ask them what they prefer.  I traveled for a few days and then my DH and DS joined me, so I did not travel with too much milk.  What I did travel with was in bottles.  Security gave me hell for my breast pump (because it has a motor in it and must have shown up as a possible problem when it went through the x-ray.)  So, plan for extra time to get through also in case you get the moron that has never seen any of this before.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Has the TSA suddenly grown a brain? 

I had to dump all the milk I pumped once because they would not let you bring it without the baby. Fine if the baby is with you and you can claim its their food for the journey, if not, its liquid that you can only have 3oz of.

I'm delighted if they've changedthe rules. But I never count on TSA. They are mostly morons who haven't got the wits to do another job that might require actually thinking rather than ticking boxes mindlessly. 

• Loading the player...
  • There is no limit to breast milk with our without a child. There are quite a few women on here who travel for work and pump and have successfully flown with BM; me being one of them who use to have a ton of milk to bring back :)

I normally packed two coolers- the first was my PIS medela cooler and my baby innovations cooler (I was gone for 4 nights and 5 days every week). I also packed 3 ice packs, lansinoh bags, ziplock bags and printed the TSA notice. The ziplock bags came in handy when i asked starbucks for ice to keep my milk cool if I was delayed in the airport.

Ask for a fridge (cite medical reasons) and get the hotel to keep your ice packs overnight in their kitchen freezer but make sure you can have access to them when you need them. Finally, if you DONT get a fridge dont stress- just use ice buckets and bury the milk in ice instead!

Remember to declar it at security and you may need to show them the bags. Lastly stand your ground and ask to speak to a manager if you have issues. I have ALWAYS flow with flown as carry on.

GL you'll be fine :)

• I just did this a week ago. ?I used one of the small, soft coolers with a shoulder strap. ?I used 20 ounce bottles to keep the milk in, one for each day. ?They were tupperware material with really secure screw on caps. ?Got them at Target. ?Four of them and two freezer packs (to keep the milk cold) just fit in the cooler. ?I didn't have any problems getting the milk or the pump through security, I just told them what it was in advance. ?(And it was international travel even!) ?You may want to bring the TSA printout on traveling with breast milk with you just in case.?
  • I agree with PP.  I just did it a last week and it was so easy and not a big deal.  I just brought a lunch cooler and put the milk storage bags in it.  I just declared it when I went through security and they just opened the cooler and I was on my way.  I kept it cold with ice and just asked vendors for ice during my layovers.  I just asked them for ice, when I bought a drink.  I was able to fit 5 days and 4 nights worth of milk in a smallish lunch cooler.

Also another thing I learned was that the family restrooms were set up for pumping in all 4 of the airports I had layovers in.  They all had chairs and all but one had an outlet I could use. 

• thank you everyone! i'll definitely print out the notice to be on the safe side. i  have the medela PIS. i'm pretty sure all the milk won't fit in that little cooler so i'll have to bring another one.
  • To those who've successfully done this...how many carry-on items are you bringing.  I would think the cooler is 1, the pump is 2 - what about your personal items and/or suitcase?  Are you finding they make exceptions for the pump?  Or are you putting the pump in your suitcase?
  • I was on a trip with DH so that made a difference for me.  Flying there, I carried on my purse and the pump, and I packed the cooler and bottles.  Flying home, I carried my purse and milk, and DH carried the pump. Which was funny.
  • imageDallasHorn:
    To those who've successfully done this...how many carry-on items are you bringing.  I would think the cooler is 1, the pump is 2 - what about your personal items and/or suitcase?  Are you finding they make exceptions for the pump?  Or are you putting the pump in your suitcase?

I carried on my pump, cooler with milk and small breifcase suitcase.  I was able to tuck my pump and cooler under the seat in front of me.  I wouldn't put your pump in the suitcase unless you need to.  Since you have to take it out for security.  They had to do some sort of special check on it.  Just be prepared to breast a lot, breast milk and breast pump.  I think the whole world knew I was breasting feeding by the time I got on the plane.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"