Baby Names
Options

Boy name...too popular?

DH loves the name Jacob, i like it, but don't want something too popular. is it too popular? We also like Samuel which is less popular...we have been back and forth lots...any suggestions between these names or new ones??
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Boy name...too popular?

• Options
    I really like the name Jacob and always have!  It is popular but if it's what you like then go for it!
  • Options

I think Jacob is a good, classic, boy's name.  I like it better than Samuel, but both are good names.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't care for Samuel, I don't think Jacob is too popular
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I agree that it's too popular, but I do like it too. I just wouldn't use it. It was #1 in the 2008 baby name list....not sure which list.
  • Options
    I think Jacob is a good, classic name that will always be in style. Samuel is cute too. IMO both are good!
  • Options
    LMS05LMS05 member
    Jacob is the #1 name on SSA. I like both names, but I'd go with Samuel because it's less popular.?
  • Options
    Jacob is actually my favorite boy's name, but I have the same concern.... It is extremely popular.  I do like Samuel, too.  Nice and classic but not quite as popular as Jacob.
  • Options
    Jacob is definitely popular. It's #1 in a lot of states. I like it though. I also love Samuel, it's on our list!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My DH wants the name Jacob as well, but I have big concerns over its popularity. Not only was it the #1 name on the SSA website for 2007, but also for like the ten years running before that!! I do like the name, but I really worry about there being five other kids in his class with the same name. We haven't decided for sure yet which name we will be using, but Jacob is still in the running. If it is your favorite too though, then I say go for it and forget about popularity!
  • Options
    I've never been a big fan of the name Jacob.  And as a teacher, I always have tons of Jacobs--it's annoying!  I love Samuel, though.
  • Options
    I think Jacob is a great name
  • Options
    I like the name too, but it is popular... It is #1 right now.  Whether that's too popular for you to use it - only you can decide.  Will it bother you that there could be 3 other Jacobs in his class?  Or will you be okay with it because you love the name?
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Jacob is a great name!! I love it, even if it is popular.
  • Options
    I personally do not think it is too popular...my brother named his 7 month old son Jakob and my first thought was that it wasn't a popular name but an older, classic name...I love it...
  • Options
    I love the name, in fact, my nephew is Jakob. But, my husband is also a Matthew and he said it's so annoying dealing with 20 other Matt/Matthews a day for his job and in general having the same name as so many others. That might be along the same line for Jacob.
    Blank!
  • Options
    I love Jacob. I think it's a wonderful boys name. I wouldn't worry too much about the popularity. I don't know anyone who has had a Jacob recently.?
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers imageimageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Clearly, Samuel is better!  :)  Actually, funny thing is, we are considering Jacob for baby #3 if it's a boy.. but, b/c of the popularity, I might opt for Jack instead (love it as much, but a little less common).
  • Options

I like the name Jacob, but I don't care for the nn Jake.

I prefer Samuel.  Less popular & Sam/Sammy are good nn, IMO.

• Options
    I like them both a lot. Jacob is popular but not trendy, if that's what you're worried about. It is classic and won't "date" your baby.
  • Options
    Personally, I wouldn't use any of the names in the top 5 (let alone #1) in the SSA top 10 as a first name, because I had 3-4 girls plus myself in every class with my name and I hated it.  If this is a concern for you, go with Samuel.  If it is not a concern for you, go with Jacob.
    Married in 2008 - DD born in 2010 - EDD 6.15.2012!
  • Options
    It's uber popular...top 10 I believe.  As long as you don't mind that your son will be one of many Jacobs in his class, then go for it.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • Options
    I love the name Jacob! That is first on our boy name list (when we get pregnant), regardless of it's popularity. 
  • Options
    I love the name Jacob/Jake! However, I just couldn't use it bc of how popular it is (think Matthew and Michael of late 70s early 80s lol). It's a shame I tell you! Anyway, I do like Samuel/Sam and I don't think you can go wrong with that name :) It's definitely good for a kid and an adult.
  • Options
    Personally, I like Samuel better.
  • Options
    It is less popular now then ever before imo. It is my hubby's name but I don't know any kids with that name. (I am a teacher.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"