Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Why is CIO so hard?!

Last night, we tried again to put her in her crib for the hundredth time. ?We have been co sleeping for a few months now, and its just getting too uncomfortable at night. ?DD moves too much and she is usually sleeping right on top of me. ?So we let her cry for 20 mins and then checked on her and then she cried again for another 20 mins before she feel asleep. ?Hour and half later she wakes up and cried for another 10 mins, then again 2 hours later. ?I ended up staying in her room for a while, until she fell?asleep. ?I finally went to bed at 2:30, and then she woke up again at 4:30. ?We finally brought her to bed. ?So we will try again tonight. I bought the book "goodnight sleep tight" and I haven't even opened it and its been 2 mos since I bought it. ?I really need to read it. Wish us GL!

Re: Why is CIO so hard?!

• Options

Oh, I am sorry.  We did it for night wakings.  Hearing your baby cry + being exhausted is the most emotionally draining combo!  But remember you are doing this out of necessity. 

I love the new siggy pic.

• Options
    i really hope it gets better!  i know is hard, but you just have to do it and stick with it.. ds hardly cries now, more like a whine at nap time and 0 whine or cry at bed time, so is worth it.. we wwere not planning on doing CIO but we had to ds was sleeping pretty horrible and we were tired! i really hope it gets better.. good luck :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hang in there! The first few nights are the hardest, but I promise it gets better. As long as, you're consistent. I like that you're going in every 20 min. if she's still crying. Having the time frame really helped me get through hearing ds cry. I would stare at the clock counting down the minutes until I could go in and console him. I know it is really, really hard not to cave in and bring DD in bed with you, but if you do that you'll be at day 1 all over again the next night. Be strong and know that you're doing what's best for DD in the long run. GL!
  • Options

Oh poor you. You're an adult, how do you think your DD feels?

You do what you think you have to do i guess (though I survived more than a year of waking ever 1-2 hours without CIO). But you definitely can't complain about how hard it is for you. YOU have the easy bit. SHE's the one who is crying and doesn't know why you won't come.

Sorry, you're wallowing here. 

• Options

CIO is hard.  But at this age, I consider more discipline than anything else.  I think MMML's advice is well-founded, but for a younger child.  At this age your DD can understand simple commands and concepts.  She can understand "It's sleeptime" and "You need to sleep in your big girl bed".  She may not like it though.  And, at least in my situation, that is where the crying comes in.

When DD is awake, and she throws a tantrum, I ignore it.  I took away her toy and she is mad at me.  I took away the 45-minute rocking, shushing, back-rubbing time, and she is mad at me.

CIO works as long as you are consistent.  As long as your DD knows what to expect each and every night.  If you waver, she will become confused.  Why do you come and get her some times, but not others? 

It took my DD less than a week to figure it out.  and guess what? She sleeps better than she ever has.  Forget about me.  She sleeps 100% better.  Her naps doubled in length.  She is far less cranky throughout the day.

Keep at it Mrs.A - you both will get through it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"