Georgia Babies

Should we hire a home staging person?

We're trying to get our house ready to go on the market ASAP, and after all the renovations and improvements are done, should we hire a person to do a staging?  There's TONS of clutter everywhere, which I can get rid of myself, but I'm seriously hopeless at decorating and arranging furniture and things to make a room look its best.  Has anyone done this, and do you think it was what made the difference in selling your home?  Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Should we hire a home staging person?

• And if you have used one of these companies, would you recommend yours? 
  • Are you using a realtor? If so then I would personally get box all the clutter and stuff you are not using. Then ask the realtor for their advice on what you should do to each rooms. My realtor is very stylish if you know what I mean and he's done it for a long time. So he has great taste in what looks good to people. Maybe if that doesn't bring any interest then hire a stager. I think they are pricey and would start off small before jumping to that. Just my opinion.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • What part of town are you in?  I just flew out to TX this past weekend to stage my brothers house.  I'd be happy to come by and help you make a list of things to do and even give you some easy ideas for decorating.  I am by no means an expert/professional, but it's kind of a hobby so I help out friends/family whenever asked.  Email me at slwprincess at gmail dot com.

• I don't know if it was coincidence or not, but our home was on the market for 9 months and then our realtor decided to pay a stager herself to come in and take a look...we sold our house within 2 days.  Our realtor just hadn't thought it was necessary, the house was really clean and I did a decent job of decorating, but it obviously helped.  She didn't make major changes, but it was definitely noticeable.  I am not sure I have her card anymore, but I'll look for it.
    Jack 3.5.07 / Ethan 9.17.08 / Lauren 4.3.11 image
  • I have a stager coming over tomorrow afternoon. I agree with Yen Wen about your Realtor being able to help you but it just depends on how well your Realtor can stage a house. My Realtor gave us a stager as part of her services so we're not paying anything for it. Both of my SILs staged their homes. One did it through my Realtor's stager and the other did it on her own by renting furniture. The one that had the professional stager sold her house for more than her asking price in two weeks. The other had her house on the market for 9 months. If you don't have a Realtor yet, I'll give you the name of mine. I really love her. But I think it's something you should ask potential Realtors as well. Just ask if they provide the service.

Oh, and I can't afford to stage our house b/c we'll be writing a check at closing already. So, I'll save the few thousand dollars it could cost. But, she's coming over tomorrow to give us advice on what else we could do to make our vacant home more marketable. So, it's not just about furniture placement.

• imageUGAbride:
    I don't know if it was coincidence or not, but our home was on the market for 9 months and then our realtor decided to pay a stager herself to come in and take a look...we sold our house within 2 days.  Our realtor just hadn't thought it was necessary, the house was really clean and I did a decent job of decorating, but it obviously helped.  She didn't make major changes, but it was definitely noticeable.  I am not sure I have her card anymore, but I'll look for it.

UGAbride - what exactly did she do to make it different? Remove furniture or rearrange things?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • SLW, I'll definitely take you up on your offer!  And thanks everyone for the ideas and experiences; if it's a few thousand bucks, we can't afford it, at least not now, but maybe for a bit less it would be worth it to try and sell, especially in this economy.  :)
  • I think our stager only cost a few hundred dollars, certaintly not thousands! 

She rearranged the furniture a little bit, even removed a piece or two (put it in other rooms where I didn't have furniture), suggested things to put in some under-decorated spaces, stripped down all of our personal pictures (which I didn't have a ton up anyway), and took decluttering to the extreme.  I do not like clutter, so it seemed like there was nothing more to remove...but she somehow found stuff! 

Jack 3.5.07 / Ethan 9.17.08 / Lauren 4.3.11 image
  • Oops - I should clarify. I haven't a clue about the cost of hiring a stager to work with what you already have. We'll be gone so staging for us would mean bringing in furniture and accessories. That runs close to $2K per month.
  • Our realtor had a caravan of realtors come to our old condo to give us staging advice.  I would try that first. 

The realtor who sold our condo and found us our house - Lynda Stoller.  Phone (770) 973-8822.  She's at the Pru office at Roswell/Robinson  Rd, not far from us.  I LOVE her.  She was so sweet and so patient, we looked at so many houses.  And it is freaking amazing that she sold our condo.  So many on the market and the condo association was suing the builder for shoddy construction - one of the buildings was sinking!  She was great. 

I think one of the keys is to not have a bunch of stuff around.  Less stuff in closets too - makes them look bigger. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    DMoney will be a kickass big sister
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"