Not feeling letdown? anyone else — The Bump
Breastfeeding

Not feeling letdown? anyone else

I've always heard that you should feel a letdown.  I've never felt it when pumping or bf-ing.  Is this normal for some?  At first he was having trouble latching so I pumped and gave a bottle and we are now using a shield and he's eating great and has been having great output so I'm not concerned on that end.  Just curious what this means.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
TTC #2 with PCOS since September 2009
BFP, Femara 7.5mg, Ovidrel, IUI. Beta #1 17dpIUI -495 Beta #2 19dpIUI-1031
Lovebugs2012
My Blog

Re: Not feeling letdown? anyone else

• I didnt feel it for the first week or so either and I'm not sure exactly when I did start to feel it but rest assured you will start to feel it eventually.  Now it's VERY noticeable for me. 

Edit:  I remember when the lactation consultant would say "and when you feel letdown" and I was always thinking "What the hell is she talking about???!!!"  

• Thanks, thats what I've always been told but didn't realize it did start right away.
    TTC #2 with PCOS since September 2009
    BFP, Femara 7.5mg, Ovidrel, IUI. Beta #1 17dpIUI -495 Beta #2 19dpIUI-1031
    Lovebugs2012
    My Blog
  • Loading the player...
  • I know in the first few days, weeks (and sometimes months) we all worry about what is normal and whatnot.  I now try to go with the flow :) 
  • I didn't start feeling it until about 3-4 weeks.
  • I have never felt it ever and I BF for 15 months.

I think its a myth or all in your head. Honestly, some people will attribute every twinge to something. 

• Sometimes I feel it other times I don't.
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyName Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I feel it pumping but not nursing!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I never felt it in the first 4 months. ?For a few weeks, when DD hit the 4 month growth spurt, and I was making tons of milk, I started to feel it. ?Then it went away, never to return (we are now at 8 months). ?My LC said that some women never feel it and this is totally normal.?
  • I have been nursing for 15 mos and I don't feel one.  Never really have.  I can hear DD gulp and know I'm getting one. 

For a while when she was tiny, I would feel this weird pain up by my underarm. 

• I didn't feel it at all until DS was about 3 weeks old.

ETA - I didn't read all the responses before I posted...did someone actually suggest that letdown is a "myth" and all in our heads???  Uh, just because YOU don't feel it doesn't mean it's not real for most other women.  And every woman I've spoken to describes it exactly the same - a tingling sensation, and then milk starts to flow.  Are you telling me we ALL imagine the exact same thing???

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards